User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Live in 1974 Don Kirshners Rock Concert

Great mini concert. Look at Mick playing shirtless with knee high socks on. Bob's Bermuda Triangle is off the chain with his story of a friend of a friend leaving Coral Gables on a boat. Who is playing keyboards with Chris?
This is golden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiw43g9gOA8
Old 03-16-2022, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Additional keyboards on that tour were either Doug Graves, or Hunt Sales(I think that's the other one's name - Soupy Sales son, if I remember correctly - I'm not 100% on the second guy's name).
Old 03-16-2022, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Additional keyboards on that tour were either Doug Graves, or Hunt Sales(I think that's the other one's name - Soupy Sales son, if I remember correctly - I'm not 100% on the second guy's name).
Doug Graves in this. The other was Bobby Hunt from Head West.

Hunt Sales was a drummer in Paris. He also played drums on “Lust For Life.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“Rattlesnake Shake” isn’t on this, which was also broadcast.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2022, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Bobby Hunt’s the one who plays that killer organ on the Sausalito soundboard Believe Me…
Old 03-16-2022, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

I got my Hunts mixed up! Hey, I was half right. And I knew Sales was a drummer. I thought maybe he was proficient at both.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I got my Hunts mixed up! Hey, I was half right. And I knew Sales was a drummer. I thought maybe he was proficient at both.
Because of Hunt Sales, I'm six degrees from Bob Welch!

(Me, Robert Pollard, Matt Sweeny, Iggy Pop, Hunt Sales, Bob Welch)

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-02-2022, 09:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

It's fascinating that they opted to go with a second keyboardist as opposed to a second guitarist. Even Christine felt that Graves was an unnecessary addition.

During one earlier tour, Fleetwood Mac did carry an additional keyboardist, Doug Graves, but that idea was soon abandoned. "He was there to back me up," McVie says, "but I think it was decided after the first two or three concerts that I was better off without him. The band wanted me to expand my role and have a little more freedom, so he played some organ behind me, but he didn't play the same way I did. I may not play very well, but I play it the way it suits the band."

From Contemporary Keyboard, 1980. https://web.archive.org/web/20150710...x_v2&id=11&c=2
Old 07-02-2022, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
It's fascinating that they opted to go with a second keyboardist as opposed to a second guitarist. Even Christine felt that Graves was an unnecessary addition.

During one earlier tour, Fleetwood Mac did carry an additional keyboardist, Doug Graves, but that idea was soon abandoned. "He was there to back me up," McVie says, "but I think it was decided after the first two or three concerts that I was better off without him. The band wanted me to expand my role and have a little more freedom, so he played some organ behind me, but he didn't play the same way I did. I may not play very well, but I play it the way it suits the band."

From Contemporary Keyboard, 1980. https://web.archive.org/web/20150710...x_v2&id=11&c=2
IMO, NOTHING fills out a band's sound like a big old B3 organ.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Thanks for providing that link. I love old interviews. I knew Over My Head was the surprise first single in the states since Warm Ways tanked in the UK. But I remember hearing how unconventional it was for a single and it was tweaked for the single release. I've heard that before but I found it interesting what Chris said about the song. She states everyone was surprised Over My Head was a single and that it was a big hit. She went on to say it surprised everyone that Over My Head was more successful than Say You Love Me. Its not true but I still love it Didn't Say You Love Me chart 9 spots higher than OMH?
Old 07-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thanks for providing that link. I love old interviews. I knew Over My Head was the surprise first single in the states since Warm Ways tanked in the UK. But I remember hearing how unconventional it was for a single and it was tweaked for the single release. I've heard that before but I found it interesting what Chris said about the song. She states everyone was surprised Over My Head was a single and that it was a big hit. She went on to say it surprised everyone that Over My Head was more successful than Say You Love Me. Its not true but I still love it Didn't Say You Love Me chart 9 spots higher than OMH?
Warm Ways as a single? Those crazy Brits. No wonder they always lose at war. And dentistry.

(that's a JOKE)
Old 07-02-2022, 11:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes, Say You Love Me did indeed chart nine spots higher than Over My Head, although the latter was more successful in Canada. All three US singles received a radio mix, which in my opinion are superior to the album mixes. Over My Head particularly benefited from the revamped edit with the more condensed run-time and edgier sound.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Warm Ways as a single? Those crazy Brits. No wonder they always lose at war. And dentistry.

(that's a JOKE)
Yes, it was the first single off the white album. Lovely song. Weird choice for a single. The record company chose it.

Love “Over My Head” and can see why it charted, but it was still an odd choice to issue before “Say You Love Me,” which is the most obvious POP song on the record.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes, it was the first single off the white album. Lovely song. Weird choice for a single. The record company chose it.

Love “Over My Head” and can see why it charted, but it was still an odd choice to issue before “Say You Love Me,” which is the most obvious POP song on the record.
VERY weird choice for a single. The worst choice I can imagine. The only thing that makes sense was choosing a Christine song as the first single, since the other two singers were new to the band.

Hell, Sugar Daddy kicks all of her other songs to the curb!
Old 07-03-2022, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, Say You Love Me did indeed chart nine spots higher than Over My Head, although the latter was more successful in Canada. All three US singles received a radio mix, which in my opinion are superior to the album mixes. Over My Head particularly benefited from the revamped edit with the more condensed run-time and edgier sound.
Yes, the single version of the singles from the White album are so superior to the album. Its all Lindsey and his guitar licks and actually provides the melody to OMH. He gave the song direction and focus. I love the guitar licks on SYLM and Rhiannon.