The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Am I the only one that can’t stand the tribute bands? Almost every one I’ve ever listened to does everything possible to take what it is I love about Fleetwood Mac live performances. They essentially play the album. The arrangements are almost exclusively redundant of the albums. The phoniness and lack of spontaneity just kills any vibe. I’d rather just listen to Rumours or Mirage. I also find the ones that have everyone dressing in costumes like the band members to be horribly cringeworthy. You’ll have a Christine “lookalike” barely playing the keys and some guy in the background carrying the workload. I suppose that makes it super realistic to the modern era Fleetwood Mac…

When a FM cover band goes back to the refrain “you can go your own way…you can call it another lonely day” during the GYOW solo (the same way the album version does), they’ve lost me.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Am I the only one that can’t stand the tribute bands? Almost every one I’ve ever listened to does everything possible to take what it is I love about Fleetwood Mac live performances. They essentially play the album. The arrangements are almost exclusively redundant of the albums. The phoniness and lack of spontaneity just kills any vibe. I’d rather just listen to Rumours or Mirage. I also find the ones that have everyone dressing in costumes like the band members to be horribly cringeworthy. You’ll have a Christine “lookalike” barely playing the keys and some guy in the background carrying the workload. I suppose that makes it super realistic to the modern era Fleetwood Mac…

When a FM cover band goes back to the refrain “you can go your own way…you can call it another lonely day” during the GYOW solo (the same way the album version does), they’ve lost me.
They just simply give me the creeps. Don't know why...

I will say I saw a Genesis and Rush cover band.. (small bar) and it was unreal, that's how real it was. They even looked like em.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

I would partially agree. But some of them are so freaking good. Check out the videos of the band Tusk. They do an incredible Sara.
Of course the spontaneity of the real band we love especially in the hay day of the wild and unpredictable Stevie Nicks. Will she know the words, will she mis her cue, and who can forget her infamous I WANNA BE WITH YOU on the 1987 and 1990 tour.
When the Dance came out and beyond, the band almost sounded like a cover band of themselves. The Chain was neutered and everything was so scripted and predictable. I saw them on one of the last dates of the Dance and Lindsey gave the same exact speech he gave for the recording of the Dance video. There was nothing spontaneous, not even talking to the audience. This is why I prefer the Farewell Tour to the Dance. While I loved Lindsey back, the Farewell tour had so many unpredictable moments through the entire show. Give me the drunken, stoned, and high US Festival warts and all. THAT is rock and roll. Or as Stevie would tell her solo audiences during the Wild Heart tour, "they just play until I start." And you know what, each night she started a different time

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-29-2024 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-29-2024, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

i can't watch any of those cover bands. maybe some of them are good but i just have no interest.

--Lis
Old 02-29-2024, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think you’re being a bit harsh and miserable. I love them. FM have hardly ever been a spontaneous live band…..even back in the day.
And costumes….wtf? What do you expect? They are cover bands….what do you expect.
As with another thread….in the UK we have Rumours of Fleetwood Mac and Fleetwood Bac. And I really enjoyed them both. A slice of FM at a 10th of the cost.
FM tribute bands are the future!!!! : )

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-29-2024, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m going to see the tribute band TUSK this Sunday with my brother which was a gift from him. I never really had an interest in seeing a tribute band but it was a nice gift. Ive read this band is pretty good. We will see….
Old 02-29-2024, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I’m going to see the tribute band TUSK this Sunday with my brother which was a gift from him. I never really had an interest in seeing a tribute band but it was a nice gift. Ive read this band is pretty good. We will see….
They are flawless from what I saw on youtube. There are countless Rumours bands which the quality wanes especially the ones on cruise ships. But I wonder if there is only one Tusk.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think you’re being a bit harsh and miserable. I love them. FM have hardly ever been a spontaneous live band…..even back in the day.
And costumes….wtf? What do you expect? They are cover bands….what do you expect.
As with another thread….in the UK we have Rumours of Fleetwood Mac and Fleetwood Bac. And I really enjoyed them both. A slice of FM at a 10th of the cost.
I agree with you too. I love the parodies of French and Saunders and the Ho Hos when they do the crazy Stevie running around stage slapping everyone's hands. Could you imagine how incredible it would be to have a cover band with those antics. Would the band get sued for defamation? The Ho Ho's interpretation of Red Rocks is probably the best Stevie parody ever. However to the masses would not really get or understand. We know all the hiccups and warts of their live performances over the years. Most would not, so this concept would not work. But I would love it.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Titanic, Lusitania, Andrea Doria, Cotopaxi...
I never knew Andrea Doria was a real ship. Just assumed it was made up for the Seinfeld episode.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
They just simply give me the creeps.
As in "Present Band" creeps, or not as bad as that?
Old 02-29-2024, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I agree. I've not paid more than $15(what my 5th row Mirage ticket cost) for any of these cover bands. They're literally paying tribute to FM. This Rumours band on the ship tells a little story between songs, while they're swapping microphone places for Lindsey to be up front next, etc... AND THESE YOUNG PEOPLE CAN STILL HIT THE NOTES, unlike Old Goatsy. I enjoy TF out of them.

BTW, this band only does FM, one night(two shows). They were doing 70's and 80's classic rock last night(they did Stop Draggin' last night). And they're doing different music tonight. If they were a sucky cover band, I'd hate it. But they're damned good(did I mention that it's free, as is my Cabernet?).
Edit- they did EO17 tonight.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 03-01-2024 at 12:02 AM..
Old 02-29-2024, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I never knew Andrea Doria was a real ship. Just assumed it was made up for the Seinfeld episode.
Yes, it was an italian transatlantic. It sunk on July 1956 after colliding with MS Stockholm.

By the way, that Dream Woman song of French And Saunders. Is it an original song of that show? Who wrote it? Or is it a song with changed lyrics for the parody?
Old 02-29-2024, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
That Dream Woman song of French And Saunders. Is it an original song of that show? Who wrote it? Or is it a song with changed lyrics for the parody?
Always assumed it was written by the duo as a parody of Dreams and Rhiannon.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure this is overload for y'all, and I'll drop it like it's Stevie trying to get into FM solo in 1975.
Here's a thing on this Rumours band.
https://craigslegztravels.com/syd-no...%20of%20Google.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm sure this is overload for y'all, and I'll drop it like it's Stevie trying to get into FM solo in 1975.
I find it a mystery why you spelled Stevie properly.