The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked Tango. Considering it wasn't their best of times for recording an album (Stevie's addiction, helping Mick the main purpose so no true motivation, the 80s wasn't the best moment to fit in the Fleetwood Mac sound, John's drinking problem, Lindsey's mood about returning to the band, etc.), I think it was a fine product.

And I do like WTTR...Sara and Family Man. Not their best works but nice songs. The album sold 15 million units worldwide so something good must have been there.

I must say I was dissapointed with the deluxe edition because of its lack of content. But that may evidence there wasn't extra material that meant a true desire to record an album. So a double album would be a mistake.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:51 AM

I've been flamed quite a bit over my stance on Tango. However, I love Tango In The Night. I love the running order; especially, Big Love, Seven Wonders, and Everywhere. The production of Everywhere glistens on my sound system and doesn't sound dated at all to me. It sounds timeless and wonderful. Isn't It Midnight has such a beautiful Christine vocal. (May be one of my favorite vocals of hers of all time.) I love the rhythm of Family Man and the beautiful guitar at the end. The title track burst through my speakers with a gorgeous jam. You and I I and II are lovely to my ears. So glad they ended the album with Part2 instead of WISYA. Uhhhh that would have been a nightmare.

I love that it has a different feel than Mirage and then a welcome change comes with Behind the Mask and ALAYF. The one thing I love about all Fleetwood Mac albums is that they have different vibes and feels. Mirage is nothing like Rumours. In fact, it's just as weird as Tusk at times.

Linsdey gets all the credit and shame for this album, but Christine really shines here and deserves a good chunk of the credit for this album.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Mirage is nothing like Rumours. In fact, it's just as weird as Tusk at times.
Funny Mick wrote in his first book "Mirage, the album we recorded in France, was an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated".

I don't see similitudes with a Rumours "groove", perhaps only that it is not so sui generis, as Tusk is.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Funny Mick wrote in his first book "Mirage, the album we recorded in France, was an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated".

I don't see similitudes with a Rumours "groove", perhaps only that it is not so sui generis, as Tusk is.
I take that as, "we were writing to be on the radio more!"

But, Hold Me is a really cool song that I never thought would be as successful as a hit. Gypsy is pure hit. Straight Back would be a great Rock chart song. Love in Store needs a bridge but pure pop.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I take that as, "we were writing to be on the radio more!"

But, Hold Me is a really cool song that I never thought would be as successful as a hit. Gypsy is pure hit. Straight Back would be a great Rock chart song. Love in Store needs a bridge but pure pop.
Wow so interesting. Hold Me is like Little Lies IMHO. The first time you hear it, you know its going to be a big hit. Both have great choruses. Gypsy is a great song but does not scream hit. It has no chorus. Its a very untraditional hit song in that sense.
Hold Me screams huge hit from the beginning piano riff, the verses, guitar solo, chorus, etc.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Wow so interesting. Hold Me is like Little Lies IMHO. The first time you hear it, you know its going to be a big hit. Both have great choruses. Gypsy is a great song but does not scream hit. It has no chorus. Its a very untraditional hit song in that sense.
Hold Me screams huge hit from the beginning piano riff, the verses, guitar solo, chorus, etc.
Respectfully disagree. I remember running down the street playing with other kids and someone was blasting it in their house. I remember thinking, "wow this is a weird song." Gypsy sounded like a hit to me when I experienced it. And when I heard the whole album, I understood why it was selected.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Respectfully disagree. I remember running down the street playing with other kids and someone was blasting it in their house. I remember thinking, "wow this is a weird song." Gypsy sounded like a hit to me when I experienced it. And when I heard the whole album, I understood why it was selected.
It is a weird song, because....well....Lindsey!

I remember riding in the back of my friend's Honda Civic when Hold Me was first released. That piano intro would come on the radio, and I'd scream "CRANK IT!!!!!!" I was at the height of my fandom when Mirage came out. I still worship it. Then seeing them in May at Market Square Arena, up close(I think we were fifth row - and god dammit, tickets were only $16 mother f*cking dollars!), was one of the greatest nights of my life.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I remember riding in the back of my friend's Honda Civic when Hold Me was first released. That piano intro would come on the radio, and I'd scream "CRANK IT!!!!!!" I was at the height of my fandom when Mirage came out. I still worship it. Then seeing them in May at Market Square Arena, up close(I think we were fifth row - and god dammit, tickets were only $16 mother f*cking dollars!), was one of the greatest nights of my life.
Can you understand me????

Great memory... I'm so glad you got to see that tour. They didn't stop in CLE.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can you understand me????

Great memory... I'm so glad you got to see that tour. They didn't stop in CLE.
They seem to always hit Indy.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
They seem to always hit Indy.
I was just around the corner, but was too young and not a minute to spare!
Old 01-17-2023, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Oh no. Not the Honda Civic crank it story again

The only thing that is a little different/unusual with Hold Me is the percussion part. From the piano intro to when the verse starts it pulls you in. You are not even at the chorus yet and saying, this is pure pop sensation. There is a reason why it was the Mac's biggest pop tune that stayed on the pop charts the longest.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh no. Not the Honda Civic crank it story again

The only thing that is a little different/unusual with Hold Me is the percussion part. From the piano intro to when the verse starts it pulls you in. You are not even at the chorus yet and saying, this is pure pop sensation. There is a reason why it was the Mac's biggest pop tune that stayed on the pop charts the longest.
You're a real (dis)pleasure.

Duh.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Duh.
Isn't that weird?
Old 01-17-2023, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Isn't that weird?
Yes, Macfan4life is very weird. I'm glad we agree.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Duh.
Do you even understand the word pleasure?
Well, you say that it's never crossed your mind
and jbrownsjr believes you

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-18-2023 at 08:59 AM..