The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

thanks bombaysaffires for sharing the full articles, it really helps to have these saved and displayed! many articles have removed paywall for these tributes, but many did not...

i love reading all the tributes from fellow musicians, whether hugely famous or relatively obscure - while general public and many people who call themselves FM fans may be clueless about Christine's huge legacy, musicians know better. it's so comforting and refreshing reading how revered and respected she is.

please all, paste the tweets and tributes that are so well deserved by our songbird!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-01-2022, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Facebook this morning. I'm sure there are tons more.

Ann Wilson
·
“Christine was a gem. Soulful, classy and a beautiful songwriter. ’Over my head’ was always my sultry, angelic favorite. Bon Voyage sweet soul!" - Ann

Jamie Lee Curtis

Songbird’, ‘Don’t Stop’, ‘You Make Loving Fun’, ‘Oh Daddy’, ‘Hold Me’, ‘Little Lies’, ‘Everywhere’.
Just some of the songs Christine McVie wrote, played keyboards on and sang lead vocals for Fleetwood Mac. The list of songs co-written by her is even more prestigious. A member of the band for five decades, these songs are eternal. Farewell Christine McVie x

Nancy Wilson

Christine McVie was an understated genius. Her songs will remain romantic blues anthems for all time. She was the moon to @stevienicks sun.
And together, they had a magic that will never be repeated.
Long live the queen

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 12-01-2022, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In honor of Christine BBC 4 has changed its programming for tonight. They will air Christine McVie: Songbird followed by The Dance.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 12-01-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
In honor of Christine BBC 4 has changed its programming for tonight. They will air Christine McVie: Songbird followed by The Dance.
That's amazing! I love the Songbird Film!
Old 12-01-2022, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A lovely appreciation by Alex Petridis in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...mcvie#comments
Old 12-01-2022, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rolling Stone
‘She Sings to Me Every Night’: Christine McVie on Her Friendship with Stevie Nicks

When Stevie Nicks posed solo for a January 2015 cover of Rolling Stone, in the middle of a Fleetwood Mac tour, it wasn’t a particularly popular move among her bandmates. But one member of Fleetwood Mac did agree to give a secondary interview for my cover story on Nicks — her longtime “best friend in the whole world,” Christine McVie, who had just rejoined the band after many years of retirement. Here’s our conversation from December 2014, published in full for the first time.

I’ve just seen two shows in a row, and it’s wonderful to see you back with the band.

Oh, it’s the most amazing thing for me. Just fantastic. It’s almost like being in the middle of a soap opera again. It’s phenomenal. These people are across the stage from me, and it’s as if the years never existed. It’s absolutely dumbfounding.

In some ways, it does feel like you never left.

Yeah, well, I mean, everyone says that… so those years never existed! I’m going, “What the hell did I do?” For the last 15 years, I was living my country life.

Well, that sounds nice too, frankly.

It wasn’t bad.

There’s long been this sort of sexist assumption that it could be a problem to have two women in Fleetwood Mac, but in fact, you two seem to have always been happy to have each other. How did your relationship work?

When Mick first heard the Buckingham Nicks album in the Valley at whatever the recording studio was called, he listened to Lindsey’s guitar on that album and thought, this guy is bloody brilliant, we want him. And then we pushed Lindsey and he said, “Well, we are a duo, we come as a couple.” And so Mick came to me and said, “They have a girl involved here. You’re gonna have to meet her and see if you like her.” And we met and I instantly liked her. She and I are not competitive in any way at all. We’re totally different, but totally sympathetic with each other. We are dear, dear friends. We don’t have any competition on stage. She is who she is. I am who I am. Easy, easy, easy.

What makes you so different from each other?

I’m a tomboy, hanging out with the guys. I love men. I love hanging around with men. And Stevie is kind of a girly-girl. She loves hanging out with her girlfriends. Having grown up with Mick [Fleetwood] and John [McVie] all of those years prior to Stevie and Lindsey, I’ve grown to have rather a dark sense of humor. Which sort of comes with the territory with Mick, walking around with his wooden balls onstage. It’s just very comical to me. Stevie probably blushed a bit at the beginning. It’s just part and parcel of how I’ve been for the last 40 years of my life, living with Mick and John, and [original Fleetwood Mac member] Jeremy Spencer, who used to have a dildo on stage, you know. I’ve grown up with all of that stuff.

What’s it been like for you to witness the sort of endless soap opera between Stevie and Lindsey?

Well, I haven’t been, obviously, there for 15 years or so. So I had a bit of a break. But they coexist, and there is love between them and there is also angst. And that is something that make us who we are and why we are what we are. One just tries to be the mediator. They love each other and hate each other at the same time. I don’t really know how else to say it than that.

Has anything changed in that department over the time you were gone?

No, I don’t think anything’s changed. They are these incredible individuals, and they have this thing with each other and that’s never going to change. They have chemistry, enormous chemistry. For good or for bad. It’s real. Everything onstage is real, at that time, and offstage sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. And that’s the truth. But it’s always interesting. They create fire. That’s a good thing.

Why has the band survived through all these endless changes?

I think it’s Mick. At the bottom of it all it’s Mick, he holds everything together. He’s the big daddy, the big cheese. He holds us all together and will not let this band die and he just goes on and on relentlessly making it the best it can be, and I think he’s succeeding. Because we all believe in this band. I mean even after me being gone for so long, I wanted to come back. And I said, “How would it be if I did come back?” They all wanted desperately for me to come back, and it has been astonishing. Really astonishing.

You’re obviously an accomplished keyboardist. Stevie, by her own admission, is not, but she’s such a great songwriter. How do you think that works?

Personally, I think it could be destructive to be too technical. So if you have piano lessons and you understand all your harmonies and arpeggios, et cetera, that can make you a bit too much of a muso. I think Stevie had the capability just to play the chords that make her happy, that make her sing. It would be Lindsey that comes in and translates her songs into chords. Then he comes to me, and he and I would work together. ‘Cause he and I have a fantastic musical connection. Chemistry, as well. It’s a different kind of chemistry from Stevie and Lindsey. But she comes in with her passion and her melody and puts her basic chords on it, and Lindsay has this phenomenal understanding of what she means… and I don’t. She comes to me with a song and I go, “I don’t know what the **** you mean.” You know? I don’t get that at all. But Lindsey does.

Like “Dreams,” for example, sounded like the most simplistic thing in the world. She played it to me when we were doing the Rumours album, and I said to her, “This is boring, this is really boring.” And she said, “No, I only made three segments out of two chords…” and it was the only Number One hit single we ever had! There’s two chords! There’s one basic note on the left hand on my part, and three chord changes in the right hand, and it’s all the same thing all the way through, except that the segments are being lifted into different things, you know.

It’s brilliant. How did the experience of two rehabs change Stevie? How is she different now?
Bloody well, that’s a hard one. Look, I mean, Stevie is straight as an arrow. She’s very direct, very honest, very self-obsessed in a way. And I don’t mean that in a bad way. She has her brand, you know? She’s an icon. She’s a genius. She’s a lovely, kind, beautiful woman and I love her to death. She and I are different, and I can’t not love the woman; she’s just amazing. She’s very, very generous in every, single department. In every single department.

In her backstage area, there’s a flood of children coming in. There’s a lot of love and warmth going on back there.

She sings to me! She sings to me on stage every night. She looks at me and sings, “I still see your bright eyes” in “Gypsy,” and she’s looking at me directly. And we’re happy to be back together. It’s good. She’s happy that I’m back on the road again. Another girl to hang out with. So it’s all good.

The push and pull between her solo stardom and Fleetwood Mac, how does that effect things? How does everyone in the band deal with it?

We all had a shot at that. Lindsey did, I did. Look, I mean, everyone has to have their space, and have their freedom to create and do what they want to do, and we all did that. And I think that’s important that we all gave each other the freedom to do that. Stevie was very successful at it. Others of us weren’t, not so much. Lindsey had a fantastic solo career, absolutely blood marvelous. I’d like to put that on record. I loved his solo stuff. We’re all five individuals just doing what we do. Somehow there’s chemistry between us, and we live and survive on that.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
A lovely appreciation by Alex Petridis in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...mcvie#comments
Fantastic article! I really enjoyed that.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are some posts on social media sites from celebraties.

Bob Segar posted
"As a singer, songwriter and keyboard player, Christine was an undeniable talent, responsible for so much of the success of the great rock band Fleetwood Mac. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and the band in this difficult time."

Ann Wilson posted
“Christine was a gem. Soulful, classy and a beautiful songwriter. ’Over my head’ was always my sultry, angelic favorite. Bon Voyage sweet soul!" - Ann

Sheryl Crow posted
I am so sad to hear of Christine McVie going on to heaven. The world feels weird without her here. What a legend and an icon and an amazing human being. RIP

Nancy Wilson posted
Christine McVie was an understated genius. Her songs will remain romantic blues anthems for all time. She was the moon to @stevienicks sun.
And together, they had a magic that will never be repeated.
Long live the queen. ��

Chris Isaak posted
A great woman is gone. I was talking about her and her amazing music just a day before hearing she had passed away. I was on my tour bus and the band started talking about Christine’s music. Unanimous fans, my drummer Kenney remembered, “I’ll never forget that Chinese dinner we had in London with her. She was so humble…so modest. So sweet.” I was at that dinner and I remembered it the same way. Her kindness was no surprise to me. Years before, on my first trip to Paris, I had bumped into Christine as I was coming back to my hotel. Her limo was parked out front and she rolled down the window and asked me, “don’t you love Paris?!” And I confessed, I hadn’t seen anything. My record company had kept me sequestered in a room doing interviews every day. She looked shocked and asked, “did you at least see the Eiffel Tower? Or Notre Dame?” I answered, “nothing.” She said, “get in.” I got in her car and she drove me all around Paris pointing out all of the sights. I’ll never forget that act of kindness. I still can’t look at Paris without smiling.
Later on, I would go see her on stage being a rock star in Fleetwood Mac, but I always felt I had seen a glimpse of who she really was. She was a wonderful woman. I miss her. I’m gonna put on her music now. She lives.

Mike Campbell posted
Oh dear…..sweet Christine has left us…..that voice, those eyes, that smile. No one like her in the universe.
I remember in rehearsal once after playing “I’d Rather Go Blind,” she looked at me and said, “I like playing the blues with you, Mike.” I’ve never met anyone with such an angelic aura. Always so kind to everyone.

Haim the Band posted
we write this with tears in our eyes and all over our faces. the sisterhood Stevie and Christine had was so vital to us growing up. seeing two strong women support each other in our favorite band has had such a huge impact on us throughout our lives. from playing “say that you love me” in rockinhaim since 1999 to seeing christine sing “over my head” live in 2015, she has been a constant inspiration. rip beautiful songbird ❤️❤️❤️

Duran Duran posted
So so sad to hear about Christine McVie, an artist I held dear and close to my heart. One of the greatest all time songwriters, singers, and band members, she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John

Roseanne Cash posted
Such a great songwriter, singer, and a beautiful presence in Fleetwood Mac. A truly sad loss. #christinemcvie

Rita Wilson posted
We have lost our songbird
@christinemcvieofficial Christine Perfect
McVie. Christine showed me that a woman
could compose, play and be a leader of a
band. Her hits are massive only equaled by
her humility. I always felt she loved her place
behind the keys, secure in her talent. This
year she did an orchestral album called
Songbird of many of her hits. She was still
creating, still curious. I never got to meet her
but I feel as if I know her through her music.
What a gift she has been to her fans all over
the world. Her music lives on.

Bill Clinton posted
I’m saddened by the passing of Christine McVie. “Don’t Stop” was my ’92 campaign theme song - it perfectly captured the mood of a nation eager for better days. I’m grateful to Christine & Fleetwood Mac for entrusting us with such a meaningful song. I will miss her.

Neil Finn posted
It’s a very sad day. Christine McVie was a unique and soulful woman, supremely gifted songwriter and a warm and wonderful friend. I am so grateful to have shared some hours in her beautiful presence.

Steve Winwood
“Christine was a lovely lady. I knew her briefly in the early days of the blues and folk scene in Birmingham, then later in the mid 80s when she lived in L.A., and shortly after I was lucky and privileged to play on one of her solo albums.
She had a beautiful alto voice that had elements of blues and church choral music, which in many ways set her apart from some of her melismatic contemporaries. Her beautiful, syllabic style was a joy to listen to. Together with her engaging, heartfelt songs she will be greatly missed. R.I.P. Christine” - SW

Last edited by Jondalar; 12-01-2022 at 03:41 PM..
Old 12-01-2022, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Billy Burnette just twitted, including Everywhere live from 1987. But no words. I guess he thought they are not necessary

https://twitter.com/Billy_Burnette/s...69076933693445
Old 12-01-2022, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Steve Winwood posted. I’m not able to copy and paste on my iPad.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Steve Winwood posted. I’m not able to copy and paste on my iPad.
I added his post.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That Chris Isaac tribute was awesome!!!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-01-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That Chris Isaac tribute was awesome!!!
I could actually picture her in the limo!!!
Old 12-01-2022, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One of my all time favorite Christine McVie stories was Steve D’s (ChiliD) run-in with the band (literally) at an Eric Clapton show.

He was running up the stairs, wasn’t looking ahead, and ended up accidentally running into Lindsey and Richard. He apologized, but they were clearly annoyed. Christine came to his rescue and said something like “Come with me before you take out my bandmates.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-01-2022, 04:17 PM

I remember that one. I made him tell it a few times.