Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default No Questions Asked-thoughts?

I was disappointed when I bought FM Greatest Hits and heard this song. I loved As Long As You Follow and I was hoping this new song by Stevie, her first with Rick and Billy, would be a strong single, but I knew right away radio wouldn't play it. Later, I came to like it, but still felt it was an odd choice for the album. When I learned Paper Doll was originally supposed to be on the album, I was really shocked, because PD is an even odder song choice!

However, I now recognize No Questions Asked is a great song. The lyrics are awesome "When I see him, I feel him..." but that music- it's incredible! Musically, I can't tell the difference between a flute and a saxophone, but the guitar playing is so unique and catchy. The part I'm specifically curious about is, right after the words "you feel..." and before "pushed up against the wall." Is that Billy or Rick, and is it a particular kind of guitar? It's such an unusual sound.

Thanks for the help, and I'd love to hear thoughts on the song in general.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Huge disappointment. Did not belong on a greatest hits. As Long As You Follow was great. No Questions was a throwaway.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love No Questions Asked. Its raw and a big step up from anything Stevie did on Tango or RAL. The group appeared on Rock line in Nov or Dec. 1988 and Stevie spoke extensively about this song. Its written about some guy that was living at her house. I forget the context about the name of the song but she tells it. Its obvious that Stevie contributed a new song instead of one of her vault classics. I am sure she did not want one of her better songs hidden on a Greatest Hits package. In addition she was in the middle of finishing TOSOTM when asked to contribute this song. It sounds like it was a rough cut from her demo. There is a reason for this. She was busy recording her own album to really spend time in the studio with the Mac. Remember that the band and especially Stevie HATE greatest hits packages. Its the record company that makes them do them.
I like the song and how Stevie outwardly sings. Love hearing Christine play keyboards again. Its sad for me to have to say that but her playing took a back seat to Lindsey's programming on Tango.
I was surprised what a dud As Long As You Follow was. Usually a greatest hits package is promoted with a big hit song. The video was good but mainstream radio had no interest in Rick and Billy. It did well on Adult Contemporary stations though.
Funny story: There was a shady bar I used to frequent and there was a jukebox and had Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits. I once played No Questions asked. It really had people interested. I would see so many go up to the jukebox and look what song was playing. They were like " Wow, what Stevie Nicks song is this?"
In any event, I think the quality of the song is consistent to what we got from her and the band on Behind the Mask.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-24-2017 at 05:00 AM..
Old 08-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the info, macfan4life. I see the song was co-written by Kelly Johnson, who was (is?) Steve's personal assistant at one time, so maybe she knew the person Stevie was writing about, as well.

I can see why it's considered a throwaway song, since it's so not radio friendly. But Sleeping Angel, Battle of the Dragon, and Blue Lamp have also been called throwaway songs, so No Questions Asked is in good company. While I would agree Stevie kept songs she might have thought could be hits for her own solo album, especially after Rock a Little, I'm sure she recorded No Questions Asked with the hope that it would chart. After all, a hit is a hit.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks for the info, macfan4life. I see the song was co-written by Kelly Johnson, who was (is?) Steve's personal assistant at one time, so maybe she knew the person Stevie was writing about, as well.

I can see why it's considered a throwaway song, since it's so not radio friendly. But Sleeping Angel, Battle of the Dragon, and Blue Lamp have also been called throwaway songs, so No Questions Asked is in good company. While I would agree Stevie kept songs she might have thought could be hits for her own solo album, especially after Rock a Little, I'm sure she recorded No Questions Asked with the hope that it would chart. After all, a hit is a hit.
I never heard anyone say Sleeping Angel is a throw away song
Maybe the rockline interview is somewhere you can listen. She talks a lot about the song and how many people live or were living in her house. I think she does also talk about the co-writer. The song does not have much of a melody but I love when Stevie sings outwardly almost yelling throughout the song. I wish the Greatest Hits package had ALL their hits. They should have left off a new song and included Love In Store, Think About Me and Seven Wonders. The song just sounds like a polished demo with no intricate workings. I see Stevie sending over a demo and the band recording it quickly and putting it on the record. The only way anyone was going to hear this song is if As Long As You Follow charted big and there would be a second single.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have always loved this one, and As Long as You Follow. I am one of the traitors who wishes Rick and Billy had stayed and, well, you know.

Last edited by mitzo; 08-24-2017 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love No Questions asked and always have. My standout memory of this song is from 1998 when my boyfriend was playing the greatest hits CD and when this song came on I sang it to his face as many of the words totally applied to our situation at that time. He smiled widely cause he understood completely. (This won't mean anything to any of you but apparently I needed to amuse myself)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I love No Questions Asked. Its raw and a big step up from anything Stevie did on Tango or RAL. The group appeared on Rock line in Nov or Dec. 1988 and Stevie spoke extensively about this song. Its written about some guy that was living at her house. I forget the context about the name of the song but she tells it. Its obvious that Stevie contributed a new song instead of one of her vault classics. I am sure she did not want one of her better songs hidden on a Greatest Hits package. In addition she was in the middle of finishing TOSOTM when asked to contribute this song. It sounds like it was a rough cut from her demo. There is a reason for this. She was busy recording her own album to really spend time in the studio with the Mac. Remember that the band and especially Stevie HATE greatest hits packages. Its the record company that makes them do them.
I like the song and how Stevie outwardly sings. Love hearing Christine play keyboards again. Its sad for me to have to say that but her playing took a back seat to Lindsey's programming on Tango.
I was surprised what a dud As Long As You Follow was. Usually a greatest hits package is promoted with a big hit song. The video was good but mainstream radio had no interest in Rick and Billy. It did well on Adult Contemporary stations though.
Funny story: There was a shady bar I used to frequent and there was a jukebox and had Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits. I once played No Questions asked. It really had people interested. I would see so many go up to the jukebox and look what song was playing. They were like " Wow, what Stevie Nicks song is this?"
In any event, I think the quality of the song is consistent to what we got from her and the band on Behind the Mask.
Are you sure they hate Greatest Hits packages??? They've certainly done extremely well out of them financially. I'd reckon Mick in particular loooooves GH's.

As Long As You Follow...a dud??? Each to their own. Perhaps you are referring to its chart placings rather than the quality of the song. Over the years I'd suggest its become a real Fleetwood Mac fan favourite in a way No Questions Asked really hasn't. In my opinion As Long As You Follow is an absolute gem that deserved much greater recognition.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Are you sure they hate Greatest Hits packages??? They've certainly done extremely well out of them financially. I'd reckon Mick in particular loooooves GH's.

As Long As You Follow...a dud??? Each to their own. Perhaps you are referring to its chart placings rather than the quality of the song. Over the years I'd suggest its become a real Fleetwood Mac fan favourite in a way No Questions Asked really hasn't. In my opinion As Long As You Follow is an absolute gem that deserved much greater recognition.
I don't agree that "As Long As You Follow" was dud either. Fleetwood Mac was way past their prime at this point, so as long as they were appealing to their base, which they were, that should have been the measure of their success. In this case, their base was on the AC chart, and the song hit #1 and GH went on to sell 10 million copies worldwide, 8 million alone in the US. So "As Long As You Follow" did its job.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote View Post
I don't agree that "As Long As You Follow" was dud either. Fleetwood Mac was way past their prime at this point, so as long as they were appealing to their base, which they were, that should have been the measure of their success. In this case, their base was on the AC chart, and the song hit #1 and GH went on to sell 10 million copies worldwide, 8 million alone in the US. So "As Long As You Follow" did its job.
I'm with you and fuzzyplum- As Long As You Follow is in my top 10 list of favorite FM songs. Absolutely beautiful song, and the video is beautifully shot, with the whole band looking beautiful and dignified. Wow, I used the word beautiful 3 times here! Anyway, it should have charted higher, and man, how I wish Christine would have sang this on their Behind the Mask tour. The song is also, lyrically, such a great Valentine to the fans. I've always felt like Christine wrote this as a thank you to the fans for sticking with them. If Christine and Lindsay had performed this on their current tour, I think I would have passed out! But the album selling 10 million+ copies is probably due more to the album being a greatest hits album rather than As Long As You Follow.

Back to No Questions Asked, though- glad to hear this little gem has a following, too. Stevie tried something different for her, lyrically and vocally, and it works, despite being a little jarring at first. But can anyone tell me what type of instrument is being played in the section I mentioned?

Last edited by bwboy; 08-24-2017 at 02:17 PM..
Old 08-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

You had me go back and re-read my post OF COURSE I was referring to the charts since I said "I was SURPRISED what a dud it was...." When I heard the Mac was releasing new music in late 1988 I was thrilled. YAY! The new world will finally hear the new Mac with Rick and Billy. WRONG! The song never even cracked the top 40 in the USA and did even worse on your side of the pond. So it surprised me. I was in my teens and would frantically listen to all the top 40 countdowns waiting desperately to hear the song on the top 40. Well it never happened
Another bummer was the video was a mainstay on Vh1 but not really MTV. But in those days VH1 was sort of the adult contemporary and oldies video channel. I loved the video and being winter made it even more romantic.
Did I mention I was SHOCKED the song was basically never played on the radio? I was like...what gives? Its a great song with a great video from a famous group but a flop (meaning not a hit, not my personal preference).
When I first heard the song, I was like. OMG the Mac is going to get a #1 song!!!!
As far as Greatest Hits packages...I am sure Mick loves the sales but since he was not a writer of any of the songs, his cut is not as big as the song writers. Stevie hated when they wanted her to release a greatest hits package and only agreed if it was not called greatest hits and she could add other songs like Beauty and the Beast, etc to make it not sound like a greatest hits album. There is no creativity what so ever and its money for the record label. I am sure Lindsey hated it too. They used to say when a group does a Greatest Hits album their career is over and it means they cant get anymore hit songs. Sounds harsh but since the Mac's Greatest Hits release they have never even cracked the top 20 with any song

Last edited by Macfan4life; 08-24-2017 at 04:24 PM..
Old 08-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You had me go back and re-read my post OF COURSE I was referring to the charts since I said "I was SURPRISED what a dud it was...." When I heard the Mac was releasing new music in late 1988 I was thrilled. YAY! The new world will finally hear the new Mac with Rick and Billy. WRONG! The song never even cracked the top 40 in the USA and did even worse on your side of the pond. So it surprised me. I was in my teens and would frantically listen to all the top 40 countdowns waiting desperately to hear the song on the top 40. Well it never happened
Thanks for clearing that up. I was surprised by what I thought you meant.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know I'm going to start sounding like a broken record soon. Greatest Hits was the first time I had even heard Fleetwood Mac - it was my mom's CD, omnipresent in her minivan. I would hear it every day on my way to school or camp or dance class, which is how FM kind of became a part of me. So this album will always be pretty special to me.

Mind you, at 4 years old all I was processing was the sound. This group of songs just simply sounded beautiful. "As Long As You Follow" felt a lot like a lullaby to me, and my brother and I became obsessed with "Hold Me;" singing it at each other at the dinner table. it had such a playful vibe to it, really accessible to children. Just a stellar experience listening to that CD to be honest.

In terms of "No Questions Asked," I had no idea the people of this band, I had no idea the drama, I had no idea the legends. All I knew was that I loved the way the woman sang "real hard to be nice" and I loved the sound of the cool guitar licks, the really unique ones. Now that I'm older I can appreciate the juxtaposition of the upbeat melody with a truthfully depressing song, the Bob Dylan reference with "broke down like a little girl" - Stevie loves that imagery. I also think it's a really good showcase vocally of Rick and Billy, and honestly the song just hooks you in with the first 2 seconds, which is genius when you put it as the last song on a GH album where the audience might not actually be interested in new music?

Bottom line: great song; as were many of Stevie's contributions during that period. I have such fondness for "Paper Doll" and "Freedom" but hey, that's just me.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 08-24-2017, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post

You're not understanding. The song does not belong on a greatest hits. Stevie has a history of putting of putting low level songs such NQA, Desert Angel, Loves A Hard To Play on greatest hits. When you buy a greatest hits the songs shlould not be skippable. She weakens her packages.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
Mind you, at 4 years old all I was processing was the sound. This group of songs just simply sounded beautiful. "As Long As You Follow" felt a lot like a lullaby to me, and my brother and I became obsessed with "Hold Me;"
Wow, you're right. It really does sound or feel like a lullaby, both lyrically ("I've been searching for the pot of gold/like the kind you find at the end of a rainbow" and "yes I can live today/if you give me tomorrow) and musically. A lullaby and a fairy tale, actually. This song might be the first time Christine ventured into Stevie-Town, lyrically LOL