Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac mention in The Beatles' Get Back

I watched the Beatles' Get Back documentary film recently. At one point I sat up when John gave a mention to Fleetwood Mac (actually there might have been FM mentions at two different points, I can remember).

Anyway, John was referring to a TV appearance the previous evening. He was talking about how interesting it was the sort of stuff Fleetwood Mac were doing. At the time I missed exactly what programme he was referring to. Now, I could go back and re-watch that section, but I'm not sure which part of the 8 hours it came up in.

Given they'd soon start the Abbey Road sessions, I initially thought perhaps he was referring to Albatross (due to the influence for Sun King). However, he did specifically mention how he really liked 'The lead singer'. The Let it Be sessions were recorded Jan 1969. So maybe the TV appearance was the soon to be released Man of The World (????).

I don't really know the TV appearances of the band around that time. Do people know what song performance John Lennon was referring to and what the programme was?

Anyway, it was nice hearing them receiving that praise from John Lennon. I guess George probably had some links contact with Fleetwood Mac at that time, especially Mick, through Jenny, but I'm not really sure whether that sort of familiarity would have extended to John.

Edit:
By the way, I thought Get Back was absolutely amazing to watch. If anyone has even the remotest of interest in the Beatles I thoroughly recommend they watch this. It frames the Let It Be album/performance in such a different light and opens such an incredible window into their creative process. My only regret is not having the chance to watch this in a cinema. I reckon the cinematic experience would have been akin to sitting in the studio with them. One word….incredible!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 09-04-2022 at 09:56 AM..
Old 09-04-2022, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't answer your question (yet), but this is from the "Get Back" movie as well: http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...ad.php?t=59623
Old 09-04-2022, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmmm…..I’m not too sure. Maybe he was referring to Need Your Love So Bad.
I think it a bit unlikely though. Need Your Love So Bad had been released many months previously in early 68. I’m not sure why it’s appearance on a TV programme in January 69 would have piqued his interest so much. Surely it would have already been in his consciousness by then.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-04-2022, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, reportedly it's been the case that at that time the Beatles were interested in signing the Mac for their Apple label, so it's not too surprising that the band was talked about in the fab four's circles. But as we all know now, in March '69 - when the Blue Horizon label deal had run out - they signed a contract with Immediate (originally intended for a 5-year term). That again was cut short in July with Apple Records being one of the contenders for the future Mac label. But in early August the band signed with Warner / Reprise . . . and the rest (as they say) is history.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I watched the Beatles' Get Back documentary film recently. At one point I sat up when John gave a mention to Fleetwood Mac (actually there might have been FM mentions at two different points, I can remember).

Anyway, John was referring to a TV appearance the previous evening. He was talking about how interesting it was the sort of stuff Fleetwood Mac were doing. At the time I missed exactly what programme he was referring to. Now, I could go back and re-watch that section, but I'm not sure which part of the 8 hours it came up in.

Given they'd soon start the Abbey Road sessions, I initially thought perhaps he was referring to Albatross (due to the influence for Sun King). However, he did specifically mention how he really liked 'The lead singer'. The Let it Be sessions were recorded Jan 1969. So maybe the TV appearance was the soon to be released Man of The World (????).

I don't really know the TV appearances of the band around that time. Do people know what song performance John Lennon was referring to and what the programme was?
Considering the fact that "Man Of The World" wasn't released until April 4 and was first plugged on TV with a "TOTP" appearance on May 8, it can be ruled out here.

As far as I could research, the only appearances on UK TV in January '69 or shortly before could be these:
November 16 ("Dee Time", even prior to the single's release date of November 22) and December 19, 1968 ("TOTP"), as well as January 9 and 23, 1969 (both "TOTP"). So I'm pretty sure that Lennon referred to one of the two latter shows. BTW - all 4 broadcasts showed the same collage of pictures and film footage to accompany "Albatross", but no personal appearance of the band.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
Considering the fact that "Man Of The World" wasn't released until April 4 and was first plugged on TV with a "TOTP" appearance on May 8, it can be ruled out here.

As far as I could research, the only appearances on UK TV in January '69 or shortly before could be these:
November 16 ("Dee Time", even prior to the single's release date of November 22) and December 19, 1968 ("TOTP"), as well as January 9 and 23, 1969 (both "TOTP"). So I'm pretty sure that Lennon referred to one of the two latter shows. BTW - all 4 broadcasts showed the same collage of pictures and film footage to accompany "Albatross", but no personal appearance of the band.
Well, this definitely took place after they had relocated from Twickenham studios to the Apple building and that took place on 20th January. So I guess it could have been the morning after the TOTP on 23rd January. Maybe it was albatross. But I’m still sure he referred to the lead singer which would suggest it was a song with vocals. Damn….I’m going to have to find the time to find that particular clip now.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-05-2022, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, this definitely took place after they had relocated from Twickenham studios to the Apple building and that took place on 20th January. So I guess it could have been the morning after the TOTP on 23rd January. Maybe it was albatross. But I’m still sure he referred to the lead singer which would suggest it was a song with vocals. Damn….I’m going to have to find the time to find that particular clip now.
I'm truly curious if you can find out more (or even different info) about it . . . !
Old 09-05-2022, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unfortunately I cant go back and watch the film at the moment. I cant access Disney TV until I can get the fire stick off my son. Not sure when I'll be able to get it. However, I've found this article online. It suggests John came in in the morning and immediately started discussing Fleetwood Mac's appearance on a programme called 'Late Night Live'. Paul and George must have also watched this programme.

I've tried searching for this programme but cant find any listings for it. I wonder if they played a couple of songs. It sounds as if John may have been referring to Need Your Love So Bad. Perhaps this is why they must have gone out and purchased a copy on vinyl (or more likely got Mal Evans to go out and purchase a copy)- hence the record was later seen in the film. Though Need Your Love So Bad had been released over 6 months prior, Albatross was big news and about to hit Number 1 in the UK charts (probably hitting number 1 a week or so after the band was discussed in this clip).

Showbiz Cheat Sheet
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...get-back.html/

Beatles: Get Back’
by Hannah Wigandt | More Articles: Music
Published November 30, 2021

The Beatles may have been in their own little world for much of their time together, but they did know about other artists’ music. We saw that clear as day in Peter Jackson’s new three-part documentary, The Beatles: Get Back. While the group was supposed to be writing 14 original songs for their new album and a TV special, they often found themselves jamming out to songs penned by their idols, past and present. In other scenes, The Beatles even praised those idols.

In Part 2 of Jackson’s documentary, John Lennon asked the rest of the group if they’d seen Fleetwood Mac on Late Night Live the night before. This was, of course, before Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had joined the band. Then, Fleetwood Mac consisted of founder and frontman Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie, guitarist Danny Kirwan, the occasional keyboardist Christine Perfect (later Christine McVie), and slide guitarist Jeremy Spencer.

“They’re so sweet, man,” John told The Beatles. “And their lead singer’s great. You know, looks great, and he sort of sings quiet as well. He’s not a shouter.” Paul said they sounded like Canned Heat. “Yeah, but better than Canned Heat,” John said.

“There was only four of them last night, wasn’t there?” George asked John. “Yeah, they’re really good though…,” John replied. We don’t know which four of the members of Fleetwood Mac actually appeared during the TV performance, but Spencer probably wasn’t there.

However, John seemed really inspired by Fleetwood Mac at that point, so it’s no surprise that one of his next songs took a page from the blues/folk group’s book.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-05-2022, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
(. . .) I've found this article online. It suggests John came in in the morning and immediately started discussing Fleetwood Mac's appearance on a programme called 'Late Night Live'. Paul and George must have also watched this programme.

I've tried searching for this programme but cant find any listings for it. I wonder if they played a couple of songs. It sounds as if John may have been referring to Need Your Love So Bad. Perhaps this is why they must have gone out and purchased a copy on vinyl (or more likely got Mal Evans to go out and purchase a copy)- hence the record was later seen in the film. Though Need Your Love So Bad had been released over 6 months prior, Albatross was big news and about to hit Number 1 in the UK charts (probably hitting number 1 a week or so after the band was discussed in this clip).

Showbiz Cheat Sheet
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...get-back.html/

Beatles: Get Back’
by Hannah Wigandt | More Articles: Music
Published November 30, 2021

The Beatles may have been in their own little world for much of their time together, but they did know about other artists’ music. We saw that clear as day in Peter Jackson’s new three-part documentary, The Beatles: Get Back. While the group was supposed to be writing 14 original songs for their new album and a TV special, they often found themselves jamming out to songs penned by their idols, past and present. In other scenes, The Beatles even praised those idols.

In Part 2 of Jackson’s documentary, John Lennon asked the rest of the group if they’d seen Fleetwood Mac on Late Night Live the night before. This was, of course, before Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had joined the band. Then, Fleetwood Mac consisted of founder and frontman Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood, bassist John McVie, guitarist Danny Kirwan, the occasional keyboardist Christine Perfect (later Christine McVie), and slide guitarist Jeremy Spencer.

“They’re so sweet, man,” John told The Beatles. “And their lead singer’s great. You know, looks great, and he sort of sings quiet as well. He’s not a shouter.” Paul said they sounded like Canned Heat. “Yeah, but better than Canned Heat,” John said.

“There was only four of them last night, wasn’t there?” George asked John. “Yeah, they’re really good though…,” John replied. We don’t know which four of the members of Fleetwood Mac actually appeared during the TV performance, but Spencer probably wasn’t there.

However, John seemed really inspired by Fleetwood Mac at that point, so it’s no surprise that one of his next songs took a page from the blues/folk group’s book.
Hmmm . . . I haven't heard yet of a British show "Late Night Live" in the 60s. Also it simply CANNOT have been actually "live", because the Mac were on tour in the US at the time (December 4, 1968 until February 14, 1969). And then only a four-piece line-up? This all sounds rather strange to me!

Last edited by lazy poker; 09-05-2022 at 02:37 PM..
Old 09-05-2022, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a wee bit more info:

The programme in question looks to have been "Late Night Line-Up" on BBC2. The 4-piece Mac have played on an episode of "Colour Me Pop", which was part of "LNLU". This episode, though, has been shown much earlier on July 19, 1968. I can only imagine that this might have been rebroadcast in January '69 - but I couldn't find any evidence for that yet. That footage of the Mac is probably lost for good, but the audio is reported to be in circulation.

Maybe Rich Orlando can come up with more enlightenment on the whole thing . . .

Last edited by lazy poker; 09-05-2022 at 03:20 PM..
Old 09-05-2022, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is very strange - the time frame makes the "Colour Me Pop" broadcast (the last that featured the four-piece line-up) the only logical choice - it is certainly possible that the original broadcast was shown again at the end of the year - Lazy Poker is correct that the video was lost long ago - the audio of the five songs that they performed were first released on "The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac 1968 - 1970 (Receiver 1998)
Sorry I couldn't provide any more insight

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 09-05-2022, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
This is very strange - the time frame makes the "Colour Me Pop" broadcast (the last that featured the four-piece line-up) the only logical choice - it is certainly possible that the original broadcast was shown again at the end of the year - Lazy Poker is correct that the video was lost long ago - the audio of the five songs that they performed were first released on "The Vaudeville Years of Fleetwood Mac 1968 - 1970 (Receiver 1998)
Sorry I couldn't provide any more insight
Thanks a lot, Rich! It is very strange indeed. I guess we'll have to live with the odd mystery here and there surrounding the Mac - and this seems to be one of 'em. For what I've researched a rebroadcast of the show is pretty unlikely, because every month 2 to 5 new episodes were shown (4 shows in January '69), which is quite remarkable for ol' "Auntie Beeb".
Old 10-13-2023, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes I have watched and enjoyed a lot the Get Back documentary!

But now that Abbey Road Studios is shown there, I must also said that I enjoyed a lot lot lot the If These Walls Could Sing documentary. Though it's not related to Fleetwood Mac records, it's a must anyway!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnn9zEQbqI0