The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Stevie having trouble walking...

Not sure if this has been discussed before, but doesn't Stevie seem to have trouble walking these days? I thought it was very apparent on Soundstage and again now during the Unleashed performances. Take a look at her Stand Back entrances. She used to come out marching across the stage like she couldn't wait to kick some ass. Now she shuffles across the stage barely lifting her feet off the floor...she looks very tentative like she's struggling to keep her balance. And at Nassau Coliseum she awkwardly tripped and almost went down three separate times.

I think years of platform boots have taken their toll. She's a trooper to be wearing boots for a 2+ hour show, but it seems really difficult for her. Do you think we'd all be in an uproar if she went back to the Reeboks for comfort's (and safety's) sake? Or would we all proudly wear "The Frankenboks Are Back" tee shirts to show our support?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah she can no longer walk in those platform boots. i dont know why she just doesnt wear a pair of really cute flats or a pair of boots with no heel. i would rather have her do that then walk around like she has lead in her boots all freaking night!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

She certainly seems a little unsteady, but I am so impressed that she can even wear high boots at all anymore--I'm sure she is in quite a bit of pain most of the time. I work at a specialty shoe/athletic retailer and we see so many people with major foot, leg and back problems due to bad shoes. I for one would love to fit Stevie in a good pair of orthotics and running shoes so she can run around like she used to on stage

I really hope she is taking care of herself and takes those boots off immediately after the show. I want Stevie to be able to keep on rockin'! Beauty is pain, people!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, my b/f noted that after the Pittsburgh show.
She seemed to be leaning heavily on Mick for the exit in particular. And of course, the anemicness of the twirl that night brought up some questions.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Maybe she doesn't wear them enough and isn't used to them anymore - and that's why she would appear to some to be unsteady on them... I'm sure she rips them off the minute she's off stage... And I'm sure if she thought they were a danger to herself or anyone else, she'd reduce the height or leave them off completely. But she probably figures for 2.5 hours a day, she can handle it... Plus they are handmade, so I'm sure they were made well and not like your everyday boot...

It's funny.. last night friends and I were talking about this very thing in a way, not Stevie, just women in general and the boots and shoes that they wear now-a-days and the torcher women must go through just to look good! In particular we saw a girl wearing thigh high boots over jeans just out walking her dog and thought WTF.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember she was having hip problems on the SYW tour, so I wonder whether that particular pain has come back to haunt her?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not long ago, she had that slogan "The Boots Are Back," so I'm sure she is wearing them because she knows they are one of her trademarks and may have learned people were commenting about the Frankenboks. She has also commented about feeling short on stage, so probably the taller the boot the better for her. She's probably walking carefully so she won't fall or trip and rebreak her once broken foot. I'm glad the boots are back and I know she will be really careful while wearing them. I don't know how she does the Stand Back spins at all, that's pretty amazing considering her current footwear.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I remember she was having hip problems on the SYW tour, so I wonder whether that particular pain has come back to haunt her?
I wonder if she has arthritis and if this was what affected her hip? It appears to be arm braces she is wearing under the black "fingerless gloves"...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I wonder if she has arthritis and if this was what affected her hip? It appears to be arm braces she is wearing under the black "fingerless gloves"...

Really? That would explain the gloves which I never understood. I would put on gloves before shaking everyone's hands for the Edge walk, yes, but I never understood why she wore them through other parts of the show or why she wore such hot, thick ones if they were only decorative.

Mick wears arm braces and that's very understandable. We saw John getting arm massages during that documentary footage years ago. Imagine how his arms feel now 30 years later. My own arms don't hurt at the computer, but they hurt when I drive. I can't find a way to hold the steering wheel that doesn't cause some kind of ache or soreness.

The internet is a miracle, but we are all facing serious carpal tunnel in our old age.

Michele
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually thought she was moving pretty good in the real boots when they played Chicago. On the second night, she busted out the short boots (which I think look ridiculous with a skirt but would probably be ok with pants) and she was definitely moving slower and more Frankenstein like. Check out my Go Your Own Way video on Youtube from 3/6...she was rockin the real boots.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Really? That would explain the gloves which I never understood. I would put on gloves before shaking everyone's hands for the Edge walk, yes, but I never understood why she wore them through other parts of the show or why she wore such hot, thick ones if they were only decorative.

Mick wears arm braces and that's very understandable. We saw John getting arm massages during that documentary footage years ago. Imagine how his arms feel now 30 years later. My own arms don't hurt at the computer, but they hurt when I drive. I can't find a way to hold the steering wheel that doesn't cause some kind of ache or soreness.

The internet is a miracle, but we are all facing serious carpal tunnel in our old age.

Michele
I've just noticed looking at pictures through the years and in the more recent years that her fingers appear to swell at times and she tends to not wear rings as much (or at all) when they look that way. I know my mom stopped wearing her wedding rings because of that and even I've noticed joint pain in my hands and fingers more than likely due to all the typing - at work and then at home. Stevie's been banging a tambo on her hands all these years it's gotta hurt. I remember Waylon Jennings had carpal tunnel before he passed and he said it was just stricly due to the repetiveness of strumming the guitar - it's not like he was Eric Clapton...or a Lindsey Buckingham for that matter...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've just noticed looking at pictures through the years and in the more recent years that her fingers appear to swell at times and she tends to not wear rings as much (or at all) when they look that way. I know my mom stopped wearing her wedding rings because of that and even I've noticed joint pain in my hands and fingers more than likely due to all the typing - at work and then at home. Stevie's been banging a tambo on her hands all these years it's gotta hurt. I remember Waylon Jennings had carpal tunnel before he passed and he said it was just stricly due to the repetiveness of strumming the guitar - it's not like he was Eric Clapton...or a Lindsey Buckingham for that matter...
You know, when someone made a joke about her hands getting old as an explanation for the gloves, I did want to say that they didn't look old in those fingerless gloves, so much as pudgy. You may be right about the swelling. That is not uncommon where there is inflammation of the joints. Also, of course, your fingers swell when you retain water for any reason. Even just flying regularly can make your fingers and feet swell. Michele
Old 03-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You know, when someone made a joke about her hands getting old as an explanation for the gloves, I did want to say that they didn't look old in those fingerless gloves, so much as pudgy. You may be right about the swelling. That is not uncommon where there is inflammation of the joints. Also, of course, your fingers swell when you retain water for any reason. Even just flying regularly can make your fingers and feet swell. Michele
I don't fly, so I didn't realize that about flying. I'm sure that must affect her then.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've been suspecting she may be wearing wrist braces under those gloves as well, especially in light of her recent injury. She also seems to be wearing them for the entire show.

Durin the CV tour, the black boots she was wearing seemed to be a little lower than her trademark ones. Maybe she should go back to those. I don't think she's worn them yet on this tour.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think I read somewhere, in some interview, that she was not planning to wear the boots before some tour, but there was some outpouring of dismay so she reluctantly donned them again.

I wish I could remember where I saw this and when....