User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
does it sound any kind of different or just the same as the 2013 release?
I started with Kiln House but I can't think why this TPO release should sound any different from the 2013 (and upcoming) remaster. Even the file sizes (I ripped the TPO CD for personal use) are the same.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default The 1969-1974 Box Set!!!

A nice surprise: 'Lay it all down [alternative version]' is totally different from the 1992 release, and with 8:15 considerably longer.
The unedited version of 'What a shame' is 8:26 and has lyrics. :-)
'Stone' is a short (2:25), acoustic Welch song.
The alternative versions of 'Sometimes' and 'Show me a smile' are indeed different versions/takes.

Last edited by GJK; 09-04-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-04-2020, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
I started with Kiln House but I can't think why this TPO release should sound any different from the 2013 (and upcoming) remaster. Even the file sizes (I ripped the TPO CD for personal use) are the same.
thank you!
Old 09-04-2020, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mine should be arriving this afternoon. Definitely something that is going to fill my long Labor Day weekend. Great collection of work. And no goat sounds either!

Thanks for the updates so far.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
A nice surprise: 'Lay it all down [alternative version]' is totally different from the 1992 release, and with 8:15 considerably longer.
The unedited version of 'What a shame' is 8:26 and has lyrics. :-)
'Stone' is a short (2:25), acoustic Welch song.
The alternative versions of 'Sometimes' and 'Show me a smile' are indeed different versions/takes.

Thanks for the post as I’m PATIENTLY waiting for the delivery today of my box set.😎
Old 09-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How does “Good Things” compare to “Don’t Wait Too Long?”

Upset that I preordered from Amazon, but not getting it until next week, especially since I live a mile from a fulfillment center.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haven't listened to all of it yet, but here are some initial responses:

The Record Plant show sounds very crisp and clear. "Bermuda Triangle" and "Believe Me" sound especially good to my ears.

Future Games is the real gift--the extended versions of "Lay It All Down" and "What a Shame" are very R&B-influenced with punchy horn charts and guitar solos. I understand why the band went with a compressed version of "Lay" for the sake of the band foregrounding its rock roots, but I am not sure why "What a Shame" was originally cut to such a small amount. The extended version sounds really good--I guess for the same reason: they wanted to step away from the R&B association?

Stone is a very nice acoustic song. The alternative "Show Me a Smile" is essentially the same as the original without some keyboard fills and without vocal effects on the chorus.

Great to have "Dragonfly" and "Purple Dancer" available in a cd format. I wish the band had also included the live-in-studio version of "Crazy Bout You Baby."

More soon.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Update: The Live "Homeward Bound" track is amazeballs!!!!!! The opening guitar solo is blistering and Christine's voice on this sounds way better than it does on the album. Her organ work is pretty damn funky, too. Oh, if only this version were the one that was on Bare Trees!

Wow. Just wow.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:49 PM
Ledgie

Did anyone else listen to "Mystery To Me" and play "Good Things" right after "The Way I Feel" just to see what it would have originally sounded like?

I remember getting the vinyl in the early 80s at 9 years old - and so curious why that lyric sheet had lyrics for a different song than was on the album! Was cool, at 45 in 2020 to FINALLY hear that song.

"For Your Love" of course is more commercial (I guess?) but "Good Things" is classic Bob Welch - could have easily fit on Penguin, Mystery, or Heroes. I personally like it better than the cover version of "For Your Love" - and love that little vocal run Christine McVie does throughout the song with the strange echo effect on her voice.

It's been years since I heard the Bob Welch solo version so I'll have to dig that out to compare.

"Homeward Bound" live is such a treat. I loved the early take of "Show Me A Smile" - the vocals on the alternate take had the rawness and tone of her vocals on the Christine Perfect album - which I loved. Some alternate lyrics too.

"What A Shame" - I almost fell of my chair when the vocals came in - I think it's Danny Kirwan (interesting how no matter which incarnation of the band they meld to sound similar sometimes).

"Stone" - the unearthed Bob Welch song - is basically just an acoustic guitar an voice song - nothing that will change anyone's life but still cool to get one more unheard Bob Welch song.

I love the CD covers which are direct replications of the LPs - right down to the "Kiln House" and "Mystery To Me" inserts (which are totally authentic with the misprinted "Good Things" lyrics - which actually are now applicable).

I love early Fleetwood Mac so this box set is a dream come true for me.

And...sorry no unearthed outtakes from Mrs. Scarrot.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really looking forward to this release, particularly the newly released songs by Bob. This whole period of the band is so overlooked and underappreciated. In spite of all the recent stuff that's gone on with the band in regards to Lindsey, I will always have strong feelings for it.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:49 AM
Junior Ledgie

It doesn't look like these are available digitally
Old 09-05-2020, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
It doesn't look like these are available digitally
You don't own a CD player or turntable?
Old 09-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
How does “Good Things” compare to “Don’t Wait Too Long?”

Upset that I preordered from Amazon, but not getting it until next week, especially since I live a mile from a fulfillment center.
Very similar, with the exception that Christine's voice is featured prominently on FM's "Good Things". It's a haunting kind of echo like vocal. Whereas, if I remember correctly, it's not featured at all on Bob's solo "Don't Wait Too Long". I'd say it also has more of a FM rhythm section vibe to it as well, which is always a good thing. I didn't realize this song predated to an earlier FM version, but I recognized it as soon as I heard it.

Ordered mine from Amazon as well. Received a message that the set would be delivered mid-month, but was pleasantly surprised it was sent as originally stated. I'm super close to Amazon fulfillment centers as well, so I'm confused on why yours was delayed.

Haven't listened to everything yet (just MTM and Bare Trees so far), but what I've heard sounds amazingly clear and crisp. Bonus tracks at the end haven't disappointed either.

Last edited by jwd; 09-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: added a comment
Old 09-05-2020, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Very similar, with the exception that Christine's voice is featured prominently on FM's "Good Things". It's a haunting kind of echo like vocal. Whereas, if I remember correctly, it's not featured at all on Bob's solo "Don't Wait Too Long". I'd say it also has more of a FM rhythm section vibe to it as well, which is always a good thing. I didn't realize this song predated to an earlier FM version, but I recognized it as soon as I heard it.

Ordered mine from Amazon as well. Received a message that the set would be delivered mid-month, but was pleasantly surprised it was sent as originally stated. I'm super close to Amazon fulfillment centers as well, so I'm confused on why yours was delayed.

Haven't listened to everything yet (just MTM and Bare Trees so far), but what I've heard sounds amazingly clear and crisp. Bonus tracks at the end haven't disappointed either.
Christine’s vocal is featured on “Don’t Wait Too Long.” It’s one of the best parts of that song.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Christine’s vocal is featured on “Don’t Wait Too Long.” It’s one of the best parts of that song.
Oh, ok. Haven't listened to that album or song in ages. Never was a particular favorite of mine.