Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Ledgie

Default The Act, Featuring Peter Green, Live at the Boston Tea Party 1970

Wow! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq_...NEPG3Cu7dfbjQQ

More informations here: https://smilingcorgipress.com/guest-...tea-party-197/
Old 11-13-2020, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i'd read about these recordings in rich's blog.

what is striking is the astounding quality of the tapes, so i guess they must be taken from the soundboard. what's disappointing on the other hand is that it's all just snippets of a few minutes in length, mostly faded in and out (which is what i HATE when done to live recordings). this makes me wonder, whether this is all there is or if these uploads might be only teasers for the full-length release? we'll see.

apart from that it was clearly my own fault, to have had higher expectations for the musical aspects of these tracks - i had hoped for a less free-form, more tune-structured kind of music. anyway - a welcome and hitherto unexpected addition to greeny's legacy.

p.s. personally i would've preferred to find this thread in the "peter green" section of this board, as it's got nothing to do with the mac.

Last edited by lazy poker; 11-13-2020 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: aspect addition
Old 11-14-2020, 02:07 PM
Ledgie

Great news!

VERY welcome to get an excellent sounding Post-Mac Peter Green concert - and I love his "free" playing!

(maybe a mod could move this to the Peter Green solo thread...?)
Old 11-17-2020, 10:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

Is it just me or does the guy on the left’s face look photoshopped?

Also, it’s cool to hear these old recordings. I wish his original solo album would surface.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesPaul7 View Post
(...) I wish his original solo album would surface.
whaddya mean - peter's "end of the game"? that's available as a 50th anniversary edition since february actually (https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...ed-cd-edition/).
Old 11-18-2020, 09:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Haha. Sorry, I meant the recordings where he originally went in by himself and recorded songs. I believe “Sandy Mary” was one of the songs he was working on.

I have the newly reissued “End of the Game”, actually.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha. Sorry, I meant the recordings where he originally went in by himself and recorded songs. I believe “Sandy Mary” was one of the songs he was working on.

I have the newly reissued “End of the Game”, actually.
. . . well, i would've been more than surprised, if you didn't have it. :-)
concerning those solo album plans you mention - is there any evidence at all that there was more than just vague plans (just like the talk about a joint green / kirwan guitar album)? had peter actually started to record anything for such a project? i doubt it very much.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:44 PM
Ledgie

Here´s some (new) info about Peter´s May-June 1970 studio recordings:

https://smilingcorgipress.com/louis-...fleetwood-mac/
Old 11-20-2020, 08:52 PM
Ledgie

What about this : https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...mcvie-1092606/
Old 11-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
. . . well, i would've been more than surprised, if you didn't have it. :-)
concerning those solo album plans you mention - is there any evidence at all that there was more than just vague plans (just like the talk about a joint green / kirwan guitar album)? had peter actually started to record anything for such a project? i doubt it very much.
As mentioned above, the information in the Hjort book is based off old studio logs, and Green went in for ten days in May. What was put to tape is a mystery, but I remember something about “Sandy Mary”.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As mentioned above, the information in the Hjort book is based off old studio logs, and Green went in for ten days in May. What was put to tape is a mystery, but I remember something about “Sandy Mary”.
personally i agree with rich, stating "it muddies the waters more than clears anything up." even if it's a fact that peter booked the studio for the mentioned 10 days - that doesn't necessarily mean that he actually went in and recorded anything (it happens now and again that in the end booked studio time is cancelled again).

and if we go another step further and ASSUME peter having recorded some stuff during that time - when he was "apparently unsatisfied with what he gotten on tape", then i'd say that it's highly unlikely that anything might have survived. you have to realize that not only studio time but also tape material was very expensive, so the tapes probably were wiped for reuse. remember: even the multitracks and original mastertapes for an album such as "then play on" have gone missing and are most probably not around anymore - not every record label had an according foresight for every of their artists.

but o.k. - hope is always the last to die, innit?! and again we've slid SLIGHTLY off-topic . . .

Last edited by lazy poker; 11-22-2020 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added aspects
Old 11-22-2020, 12:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Yes, all that you mentioned is/was true. And yes, hope is the keyword.

It would slightly puzzle me Clifford Davis—knowing his business practices—wouldn’t hang onto what he could though. Unless of course, PG was frustrated to the point of erasing tapes. I have to imagine the sessions were more structured, layering parts as far as the songs were concerned rather than the freeform jams of End of the Game.

I have always been saddened by the fact PG opted not to contribute to Mayall’s Back to the Roots album as well. Although he did contribute guitar to I want to say the Bath Festival. Lots of Wah.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have always been saddened by the fact PG opted not to contribute to Mayall’s Back to the Roots album as well.
i always had the very same thought! when i saw the impressive line-up for that album, i almost couldn't believe peter's unfortunate absence from the list of involved parties. i don't know about reports or reasonable grounds on this matter - have there ever been any?

p.s. if i only knew how to transmit all this to the "peter green" forum - and we're steadily moving away from the original thread, to boot . . .

Last edited by lazy poker; 11-23-2020 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: aspects added
Old 11-23-2020, 09:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
i always had the very same thought! when i saw the impressive line-up for that album, i almost couldn't believe peter's unfortunate absence from the list of involved parties. i don't know about reports or reasonable grounds on this matter - have there ever been any?

p.s. if i only knew how to transmit all this to the "peter green" forum - and we're steadily moving away from the original thread, to boot . . .
Meandering and exploring topics, much like Peter Green’s performance!