User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And then I suppose there’s the “Sara” type of song, with several different people — friends, lovers, family — floating around in various places, in various epochs, a stanza for this, a stanza for that. It’s very nonspecific, unlike something like “Destiny Rules,” which seems to describe a person and a string of events, all very closely tied.
Destiny Rules is about Hernan (or mostly...we know she often mixes in random stuff). The whole "6 weeks in a foreign country" etc of the 2nd verse is about them going to Chile for 6 wks after they finished recording Tusk (where she wrote the song Bella Donna inspired, she says, by his mother and her story). I forget if he's the one who broke up with his fiancee to be with her. In any event she dumped him before the Tusk tour on the pretext that it's too hard to maintain a relationship while on the road.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Destiny Rules is about Hernan (or mostly...we know she often mixes in random stuff). In any event she dumped him before the Tusk tour on the pretext that it's too hard to maintain a relationship while on the road.
I’m curious as to why you used the word pretext.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey's comments, to me, seem like the kinds of things he's talked to his fans about over the past fifteen or so years.

However, he made the colossal mistake of talking about that with the press.

Stevie responding is one thing. Irving Azoff responding is a very different, significantly more consequential can of worms.

It's telling that Mick has gone radio silent since that interview. I think the Mick-Lindsey show that they were planning has been thrown out the window altogether. Mick can smooth things over with Stevie, but Azoff??? Nope. Sorry, Lins.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-21-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Lindsey's comments, to me, seem like the kinds of things he's talked to his fans about over the past fifteen or so years.

However, he made the colossal mistake of talking about that with the press.

Stevie responding is one thing. Irving Azoff responding is a very different, significantly more consequential can of worms.

It's telling that Mick has gone radio silent since that interview. I think the Mick-Lindsey show that they were planning has been thrown out the window altogether. Mick can smooth things over with Stevie, but Azoff??? Nope. Sorry, Lins.
I think the opposite. Azoff would have no problem bringing the FAB 5 together if it meant a huge tour and instant sell out. (Which it might with that kind of marketing.) However, Goat might not be so convinced. My theory being: for her it's more personal. for him, he doesn't give a sh*t about LB. It's just business. It's Irving's job to care about money.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-21-2021 at 10:19 AM..
Old 10-24-2021, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think the opposite. Azoff would have no problem bringing the FAB 5 together if it meant a huge tour and instant sell out. (Which it might with that kind of marketing.) However, Goat might not be so convinced. My theory being: for her it's more personal. for him, he doesn't give a sh*t about LB. It's just business. It's Irving's job to care about money.
I dunno. I think that the contempt and disdain in Irving Azoff’s comments are akin to a burn notice. Azoff said that the 2018 tour was the highest grossing in the band’s history, so I doubt he’s in any rush to get Lindsey back. I think the ship has sailed on the Rumours band, if not Fleetwood Mac altogether.

Mick's been pretty quiet, lately. I hope it's not because of COVID.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-24-2021, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick's been pretty quiet, lately. I hope it's not because of COVID.
Mick has been quiet ever since Stevie publicly said she fired herself from the band in 2018. That's code for "keep your mouth zipped or I'm quitting the band forever."
Old 10-24-2021, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Mick has been quiet ever since Stevie publicly said she fired herself from the band in 2018. That's code for "keep your mouth zipped or I'm quitting the band forever."
Yeah, but the rekindled bromance between Mick and Lindsey has been crickets since Azoff's comments.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, but the rekindled bromance between Mick and Lindsey has been crickets since Azoff's comments.
Yes, but Azoff comments and Stevie's comments were released at the same time in the same Rolling Stone article.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i know you really wanted Mick to join Lindsey on his solo tours, for reasoning i still don't understand, and sorry that now you seem disappointed.

that said, Mick is not promoting anything right now, so of course he's not saying anything. all his statements came when he was promoting his FM / PG project recording that was coming out at the time.

on the other hand, Lindsey is now promoting something, therefore now he's the one talking about the bromance and soulmates. that said, even all Lindsey interviews were back in August, not now.

so the timeline you seem to imply doesn't really exist.

yes, Azoff is lucky Lindsey didn't sue specifically him as his manager who screw him over back in 2018, and was in on Fleetwood Mac breaking the contracts they had in place for 2018 tour. but Lindsey had in his lawsuit something like the FM 4 plus associated people, so i'm sure Azoff was not happy loosing a part of that tour income to Lindsey.

Lindsey said all Azoff cares about is money. then Azoff came out with the statement basically saying - hey all i care about is money!

Lindsey said - it was Stevie who was behind the ultimatum. then Stevie came out and said no no no no no he's lying - it was I who gave the ultimatum.

why Lindsey was paying Azoff as his manager all those years is completely beyond me, because now when we see the promotion under Lindsey's new management, it's completely clear that other than talking money and instead belittling him for not being commercial enough solo, Azoff was doing beyond crappy job for Lindsey.

that all said, i completely agree with you now that Azoff even though not FM manager at the time, is apparently someone who holds the grudges if someone denies him his planned money and was unhappy with Christine's getting Lindsey to say that Classics were just a sad moneygrab.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-25-2021, 10:49 AM

^^^ I agree. All he cares about is money. I think if they marketed a FAB 5 Rumours band coming back, it would explode. And poor Irving would forget all about "what's that guy's name?" Oh yeah, Lindsey Buckingham.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-25-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Old 10-25-2021, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
^^^ I agree. All he cares about is money. I think if they marketed a FAB 5 Rumours band coming back it would explode. And poor Irving would forget all about "what's that guy's name?" Oh Lindsey Buckingham.
right. money manager would jump on the chance to make even more money, and if yet another FM classic reunion is that, he'd be all for it.

so all my hopes are on SN, that she will stay firmly enclosed in her entourage circle, and stand her ground that she doesn't want to ever be on the same stage with LB.

we don't need yet another FM 5 cashgrab tour, completely running FM into the ground. they were successful enough with it in 2018-19, the reviewes that were not paid for upfront were very clear about that. and we know people would show up, they show up and rave about Bob Dylan shows even though his songs are completely unrecognizable now. people show up for legendary names, as they did for FM in 2018-19.

new BuckVie album i can go for though.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-25-2021, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i know you really wanted Mick to join Lindsey on his solo tours, for reasoning i still don't understand, and sorry that now you seem disappointed.
Woah, calm down, there. I wasn’t necessarily excited about it. It was something that made a lot of sense for both of them, especially if Fleetwood Mac was done.

I’d be much more excited about a new album with the current lineup or a blues album with Mick, John, Christine, Rick, and Mike.

Quote:
that said, Mick is not promoting anything right now, so of course he's not saying anything. all his statements came when he was promoting his FM / PG project recording that was coming out at the time.

so the timeline you seem to imply doesn't really exist.
Prior to that interview, there was some type of news coming out about every two weeks. You could almost set your watch to it. Not so much since, save for Mike Campbell working with John Mayall (hence why I want him in the Fleetwood Mac blues offshoot).

Quote:
Lindsey said all Azoff cares about is money. then Azoff came out with the statement basically saying - hey all i care about is money!
Part of Irving’s job is to care about the money. That said, I think Irving was also just as motivated by spite in 2018-19.

Quote:
Lindsey said - it was Stevie who was behind the ultimatum. then Stevie came out and said no no no no no he's lying - it was I who gave the ultimatum.
Stevie didn’t give them an ultimatum. She said she wasn’t working with Lindsey anymore. There wasn’t a directive to the band that it was her or Lindsey. However, Mick and Irving knew a Fleetwood Mac tour without her wasn’t going to fly and figured out a solution that kept her in the band. The net effect was the same, but without an actual directive, it’s hard for me to see it as an ultimatum.

Quote:
why Lindsey was paying Azoff as his manager all those years is completely beyond me, because now when we see the promotion under Lindsey's new management, it's completely clear that other than talking money and instead belittling him for not being commercial enough solo, Azoff was doing beyond crappy job for Lindsey.
Having Irving as his manager probably helped get him back on a label after Warner/Reprise was done with him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-25-2021, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It was something that made a lot of sense for both of them, especially if Fleetwood Mac was done.
In other words, it made financial sense.

Quote:
I’d be much more excited about a new album with the current lineup or a blues album with Mick, John, Christine, Rick, and Mike.
In other words, projects that make zero financial sense.

In other words, when it’s a project that you prefer but makes no financial sense, state it here and cross your fingers that it happens. But when it’s a project that you don’t personally prefer but makes some financial sense, make it obvious that you find the idea ridiculous.

Quote:
Prior to that interview, there was some type of news coming out about every two weeks. You could almost set your watch to it. Not so much since.
Isn’t that how publicity generally works — a lot of hoopla for a time, followed by little or no hoopla? Are we still hearing about the British Invasion?

Quote:
Part of Irving’s job is to care about the money. That said, I think Irving was also just as motivated by spite in 2018-19.
Whatever motivates Irving or makes his Piguet Swiss watch tick, it’s of no musical value to Fleetwood or any of its members.

Quote:
Stevie didn’t give them an ultimatum. She said she wasn’t working with Lindsey anymore.
ROFLMAO.

ul·ti·ma·tum noun \ ˌəl-tə-ˈmā-təm , -ˈmä- \
plural ul·ti·ma·tums or ul·ti·ma·ta \ ˌəl-​tə-​ˈmā-​tə , -​ˈmä-​ \
1: a final proposition, condition, or demand especially : one whose rejection will end negotiations and cause a resort to force or other direct action.

Quote:
Having Irving as his manager probably helped get him back on a label after Warner/Reprise was done with him.
Trademark Steve Hopkins conjecture. Keep ’em coming! And welcome back.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-25-2021, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Woah, calm down, there. I wasn’t necessarily excited about it.
not sure who you are talking to, everyone seems very calm around here.

you've been pushing Mick-Lindsey collab pretty hard and repeatedly, as can be easily verified with a quick search of this site. by your defensive reaction right now, maybe you really were excited about it, even if not necessarily.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In other words, it made financial sense.

In other words, projects that make zero financial sense.

In other words, when it’s a project that you prefer but makes no financial sense, state it here and cross your fingers that it happens. But when it’s a project that you don’t personally prefer but makes some financial sense, make it obvious that you find the idea ridiculous.
I don’t find the idea of Lindsey and Mick working together to be ridiculous. What I prefer isn’t connected to what makes financial sense, it’s, you know, a personal preference. I thought it was pretty obvious with me that my top preference is always the one that has Mick, John, and Christine playing together.

Quit trying to overcomplicate someone else’s opinion.

Quote:
Isn’t that how publicity generally works — a lot of hoopla for a time, followed by little or no hoopla? Are we still hearing about the British Invasion?
From the end of the 2018-19 tour, there was some type of interview about every two weeks until the one with Azoff. Even Christine and Brett, neither of whom were promoting anything, had interviews.

Quote:
1: a final proposition, condition, or demand especially : one whose rejection will end negotiations and cause a resort to force or other direct action.
And you missed the whole point that there wasn’t a proposition, condition, or demand.

Quote:
Trademark Steve Hopkins conjecture. Keep ’em coming! And welcome back.
It is a conjecture, hence “probably.” That’s really the only reason I could see Lindsey going with Irving. Their philosophies couldn’t be more different.

THE Stephen Hopkins