Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2002, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not saying "Street Angel" is awful (although many do)...after the debacle of "OSOTM" ("Rooms On Fire" is great, but the rest of the album IMHO ...stinks...no...SUCKS!) "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind" was, and still is, my favorite of Stevie's solo works, but how I was disappointed to find out she didn't write it. As she didn't write a FEW of the songs you mentioned. ("Seven Wonders"---Sandy Stewart; "Sometimes It's A Bitch"--Jon Bon Jovi, etc) I wish that "MLWCYM" would've been a Fleetwood Mac song rather than a Stevie solo song.

The thing (I'd prefer the term, "problem") about Stevie as a solo artist is that her material is at the mercy of the producer...and Rupert Hine was NOT a good match for Stevie's material. Had those OSOTM songs been done with Fleetwood Mac or a different producer (ie, Jimmy Iovine or Mike Campbell, or...??), my opinion of them may have drastically been different, but "as presented"...as we're "stuck with", blech!

For example, "Whole Lotta Trouble" was the biggest turd on the album...I can hear SO MUCH potential in it, it's disheartening...had that been recorded bare-bones with the BTM incarnation and "blues-ed" up a bit more, it would've really kicked (would've been a perfect Rick Vito guitar monster tune), but the over-blown horn arrangement (no pun intended...or maybe subconsciously, it was ) just ruined it for me...and for some other people, too, as I read here & elsewhere. The whole ALBUM is like that for me, as well...too heavy handed on the production. For me, Stevie sounds her best when her songs are stripped down with a basic band...no strings, no horns, just drums, bass, guitar, & keyboards.