User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Top 10 all time Fleetwood Mac songs

Of course its an impossible task but I am going to try it after watching those other guys. They cant have all the fun.

10. Man of the World - a Peter Green song has to be on the list and this is his best IMHO. Its so profound. Its also Chris's favorite Mac tune so I also trust her judgment. Something so sincere and profound about his voice on this song.

9. Hypnotized - Bob's best Mac tune. It showcases John and Mick's incredible rhythm. Its spooky and magical and so Fleetwood Mac.

8. The Chain - I am a bit tired of many Rumours songs but this is so good. I love the bass, guitar, and the blending of voices. It also rocks.

7. Straight Back - This song makes the list for many reasons. Stevie's voice 1981-1982 was at its peak. Its an incredibly well written song. Its a much more straight forward kind of song for Stevie with the Mac. Lindsey and Chris playing around each other during the bridge amplifies the Mac sound. Mick does a great job too. Chris backing Stevie on vinyl is too rare and it sounds so good.

6. Oh Daddy - The lyrics and singing are fine. But the music track is probably the best music the Mac has ever written. I just wish there was an extended Oh Daddy because I want to hear Chris play out much longer than what is on the album. Its definitely the best music track and defines the Mac sound of the mid 70's. Lindsey on acoustic guitar is always incredible.

5. Station Man - This song defines the early Mac sound when Chris was new and her backing vocals are so freaking cool. How could you not sing along to this song. A Kirwin/Spencer masterpiece.

4. Isn't It Midnight - I am not a fan of the album Tango but this song is the exception. One of Chris's best written songs. Lindsey's haunting vocals and incredible guitar are the icing on the cake. John is humming along too. I wish there was more of this kind of song on Tango. Clearly Chris loves it too since she has pulled it out on so many tours.

3. You Make Loving Fun - The synthesizer and keyboards humming make this one cool groove. Chris's lyrics and singing used to make me blush on this song. Its romantic, groovy, and it rocks. Lindsey's guitar licks take the song to another level. He pulls out all the stops. His guitarwork on this song is overlooked many times.

2. Go Your Own Way - This is the song. First single from Rumours. People that dont really like Fleetwood Mac that much like this song. Its a rock anthem. Its the perfect break up song. Its intricate and features some of Lindsey's best guitar work. Played every day on the radio somewhere by stations that may not even play much more of the band. Incredible guitar work.

1. Why - The guitar intro sets the tone of this heartbreak of a song. Chris usually sings of love affairs but Why is such a heartbreak song. The lyrics are cagy where you think you are going to be ok where your heart will rise up with the morning sun. But its not ok, asking WHY dont you love me. Chris's piano intro after the guitar ending is so catchy and supurb. She's hoping her hurt will melt away and the guitars sound like they know exactly how Chris is feeling. The song is a masterpiece. The way the guitar plays and the keyboards mimic and answer back gives me goosebumps.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-16-2022 at 09:34 AM..
Old 01-16-2022, 09:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looking at my list and I realize some things. I have 4 songs from Rumours. 4 songs from Christine. 4 songs pre-Lindsey/Stevie. 1 song from Stevie. 1 song Lindsey. 1 song both Lindsey and Stevie. 1 song Bob and 1 song Peter and 1 song Spencer/Kirwin. I did not plan it this way but interesting there is something from every era.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-16-2022 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-16-2022, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is hard to do when you factor in each of the band’s many lineups, but it’s kinda’ fun to try:

10. Oh Well

9. Tell Me All the Things You Do

8. Future Games

7. Rhiannon

6. Tusk

5. World Turning

4. You Make Loving Fun

3. Go Your Own Way

2. Say You Love Me

1. The Chain

The list differs day-to-day, though many of the songs listed her still make the top 10.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Subject to change without notice. No warranty expressed or implied.

10-Tusk
9-Love Shines
8-Rhiannon
7-Sugar Daddy
6-Gypsy
5-GYOW
4-World Turning
3-Hold Me
2-Why
1-Think About Me
Old 01-16-2022, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think we've done this a couple times before and I'll go back and look at my list sometime to see how I've evolved. I will say that the early 70's remaster that I keep harping about with bring some of those songs onto this list not to mention the live remaster from early 2021. So here it goes:

10. Sunny Side of Heaven- This song takes you to a beach at either sunrise or sunset and see how beautiful the world is and what an amazing underrated talent Danny Kirwan was. Astonishingly beautiful and Fleetwood Mac never replicated this wonderful song at any time before or since.
9. Gypsy- Along with the other Mirage tracks and outtakes, Stevie's shining moment that she could never live up to since. The song is taken to so many heights by the production, but it is her voice, that carries the song.
8. The Green Manalishi- I totally agree with the guy on the video about this song- Green's best moment ever and like Sunny Side, a style that the band never replicated successfully, although Lindsey did try with So Afraid and Come.
7. Over and Over- A slow build opener for Tusk, entirely intentional I'm sure, and like Mac Fan has said- it carries to the stage better than any other song on Tusk and it's a shame they retired it after the tour. On the album, it captures Christine's voice in the same way that You Make Loving Fun, which is higher on my list.
6. Sentimental Lady- Despite the wonderful Hypnotized, I think this is Bob Welch's best moment with the band- it wasn't the smash single it should've been in 1972, but it stands the test of time and sounds amazing on the remaster.
5. Rhiannon- Most songs on my list are there because of the moment in the band's history and the uniqueness of the song that makes them great. Stevie's signature song which had a sound that was never to be repeated, her voice even evolved over '76 to Rumours which meant that it would never sound like this again. That's ok though, because the live performances took it to a whole level that introduced the world to the amazing Stevie Nicks. Her best song comes later in my list though.
4. Second Hand News- going to crank this amazing song today- it just is so Rumours and sounds fresh everytime it's played, love it. I like it better than Go Your Own Way, which is now a bubbling under song for me, although its a masterpiece.
3. You Make Loving Fun- Christine's best pop song, best written, best arranged and best sung. My favourite Rumours single.
2. Why- I agree it would be sacrilege to leave this masterpiece off the list- McVie's best ballad and like Second Hand News, only in a different way, sounds as fresh today.
1. Silver Springs- I know I'll get laughed off the planet by some with my top choice, but this utterly spellbinding (pun intended), slow building song, is Stevie Nicks best moment of her career. Although the original is my favourite, she knocks it out of the park for the Dance and brings one of the most criminally overlooked songs in the history of the band, if not rock music to its rightful place, where more people hear it and start loving this old song because she loves it too!
Old 01-16-2022, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting when I take a second look, only one Lindsey song- doesn't mean I don't love his work though- everything on the first two albums is amazing, but after that he would turn in about 1/2 good and 1/2 not so good or outright stinkers.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Best songs from our own points of view?? I can't be impartial! And I can't put them in order, maybe chonological only!

- Future Games (Bob Welch)
- Sands Of Time (Danny Kirwan)
- Sunny Side Of Heaven (Danny Kirwan)
- Caught In The Rain (Bob Weston)
- Brown Eyes (Christine McVie)
- I'm So Afraid (from Live) (Lindsey Buckingham)
- Book Of Love (Lindsey Buckingham)
- Big Love (Lindsey Buckingham)
- You & I, Part I (Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie)
- Sooner Or Later (Christine McVie)

My special mentions go to:
- Coming Home (Bob Welch)
- Forever (please don't hit me!!) (Bob Weston, John McVie, Bob Welch)
- Love In Store (Christine McVie)
- Wish You Were Here (Christine McVie)

So so so sorry for Jeremy, Peter, Dave Walker, Dave Mason, Billy, Rick and Becca! I guess we could do a list of best songs from every singer/songwriter too!!

Last edited by moon; 01-17-2022 at 03:05 PM..
Old 03-10-2022, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Objectively, the best two songs are Gypsy and You Make Loving Fun.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had to grab 17.

Heroes Are Hard to Find
Tusk
The Derelict
Angel (1979)
Prove Your Love
Keep On Going
Bright Fire
Did You Ever Love Me?
Dreams
Morning Rain
A Fool No More
Worried Dream
What Makes You Think You’re the One?
That’s All for Everyone
Underway
Without You
Love That Burns

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-10-2022, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David
I love that your list has 2 songs from Heroes. Heroes demonstrates the perfect example of Chris's writing.
She writes one catchy pop tune - Heroes Are Hard To Find
She writes a typical McVie spurned love song - Prove Your Love
She writes a typical McVie Love song - Come A Little Bit Closer
and we get the rare angry song - Bad Loser

This Mac album really demonstrated the power Chris had for writing fantastic songs. It was the premonition of what was to come.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
David
I love that your list has 2 songs from Heroes. Heroes demonstrates the perfect example of Chris's writing.
She writes one catchy pop tune - Heroes Are Hard To Find
She writes a typical McVie spurned love song - Prove Your Love
She writes a typical McVie Love song - Come A Little Bit Closer
and we get the rare angry song - Bad Loser

This Mac album really demonstrated the power Chris had for writing fantastic songs. It was the premonition of what was to come.
Great analysis. I love on Heroes Are Hard to Find (the album) so much, and this is partly the reason.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

10-Over My Head (Live)
9-Crystal
8-Blue Letter
7-Sisters of the Moon
6-Homeward Bound
5-Angel (1974)
4-Tusk
3-Second Hand News
2-Silver Springs
1-Oh Well

Bubbling Under: Heroes are Hard to Find, Come a Little Bit Closer, Hold Me, Never Going Back Again, The Green Manalishi, Black Magic Woman, Go Your Own Way, Hypnotized, Mystified, Go Insane, What Makes You Think You’re the One, Think About Me, Love in Store, Rhiannon, Sunny Side of Heaven, Tango in the Night.
I’m really into listening to the middle era right now because it’s great at chilling me out. Still, it’s hard to overtake songs that brought you in the fold.

Last edited by macpai; 03-11-2022 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Adding Bubbling Under
Old 03-11-2022, 04:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
4. Second Hand News- going to crank this amazing song today- it just is so Rumours and sounds fresh everytime it's played, love it. I like it better than Go Your Own Way, which is now a bubbling under song for me, although its a masterpiece.
1. Silver Springs- I know I'll get laughed off the planet by some with my top choice, but this utterly spellbinding (pun intended), slow building song, is Stevie Nicks best moment of her career. Although the original is my favourite, she knocks it out of the park for the Dance and brings one of the most criminally overlooked songs in the history of the band, if not rock music to its rightful place, where more people hear it and start loving this old song because she loves it too!
I did mine before I read yours and what you wrote for both these songs could have been written by me. With the one exception that I’m so forever mesmerized by it on The Dance that I’d consider that my fave version.