User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Stevie turned down two really good songs for this album. One was Reconsider Me and the other was Don't Come Around Here No More. These are good songs. Both would have probably been hits for her and could have changed the album to positive for me. I cannot believe that we got The Nightmare instead of Reconsider Me. No wonder Jimmy left her.
Didn't she also turn down These Dreams by Heart? Or was that one that was written prior to Wild Heart and would have gone on that one?
Old 12-04-2022, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMI View Post
Didn't she also turn down These Dreams by Heart? Or was that one that was written prior to Wild Heart and would have gone on that one?
Yes, These Dreams was offered to Stevie, “who expressed no interest in recording it,” according to Wikipedia. These Dreams was on Heart’s self-titled album, which was released on June 21, 1985. So it seems like it would have gone on Rock a Little, if she had recorded it, which was released in late 1985.

Diane Warren wrote I Get Weak with Stevie in mind, but Rick Nowels gave the song to Belinda Carlisle. Since Nowels worked as a producer on RAL, I Get Weak would likely have also been on RAL if Stevie had recorded it.

These Dreams I can totally imagine Stevie singing- I Get Weak, I cannot imagine, though.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Yes, These Dreams was offered to Stevie, “who expressed no interest in recording it,” according to Wikipedia. These Dreams was on Heart’s self-titled album, which was released on June 21, 1985. So it seems like it would have gone on Rock a Little, if she had recorded it, which was released in late 1985.

Diane Warren wrote I Get Weak with Stevie in mind, but Rick Nowels gave the song to Belinda Carlisle. Since Nowels worked as a producer on RAL, I Get Weak would likely have also been on RAL if Stevie had recorded it.

These Dreams I can totally imagine Stevie singing- I Get Weak, I cannot imagine, though.
If you read the lyrics to These Dreams....its one cheezy line after the other
I can see Stevie not wanting to sing those lines especially thinking people would think she was trying to capitalize on her biggest song. The lyrics are someone trying to be the mystical Stevie which makes it so un-Stevie. Nancy Wilson gave that song some teeth. Not sure it would have worked in anyone else's hands especially with her RAL rasp at that point.
I cant hear Stevie singing the double negative in DONT come round here NO more.

I totally see her passing on both songs. She should have not passed on Love Will Find A Way which was specifically written for her.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, These Dreams was offered to Stevie, “who expressed no interest in recording it,” according to Wikipedia.

I can't IMAGINE...

Ann Wilson vs Stevie..... that's like a Ferrari vs a Chevette.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I can't IMAGINE...

Ann Wilson vs Stevie..... that's like a Ferrari vs a Chevette.
It was actually Nancy on the lead on that song
But your point remains
Old 12-04-2022, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
It was actually Nancy on the lead on that song
But your point remains
Know what.... I knew that Nancy had one hit, but I couldn't remember which song. I own no Heart(now there's a double entendre), but I've seen them twice in recent years. Ann is amazing in that she can still hit most of the high notes. $tevie farms those out to 3 other singers.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Know what.... I knew that Nancy had one hit, but I couldn't remember which song. I own no Heart(now there's a double entendre), but I've seen them twice in recent years. Ann is amazing in that she can still hit most of the high notes. $tevie farms those out to 3 other singers.
She also had the hit "There's The Girl"
Old 12-04-2022, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
If you read the lyrics to These Dreams....its one cheezy line after the other
I can see Stevie not wanting to sing those lines especially thinking people would think she was trying to capitalize on her biggest song. The lyrics are someone trying to be the mystical Stevie which makes it so un-Stevie. Nancy Wilson gave that song some teeth.

I totally see her passing on both songs. She should have not passed on Love Will Find A Way which was specifically written for her.
Very good points. How about a mash up of These Dreams and Imperial Hotel? “I walk without a cut through the stained glass table, the same glass table and cry to my friend why am I so alone? I want to see you clearly, come closer than this- who’s there, where has she gone. Well I think she just went home.”

Who says songwriting is so hard LOL!
Old 12-04-2022, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You ain’t got no heart but you got soul.

I was like, I would hardly call Nancy Wilson a Ferrari compared to Stevie, but Ann Wilson, oh yeah! That is a voice. But Nancy only sings lead one or two songs live, so she better be able to hit those high notes. Ann and Stevie carry the whole show, so they get some grace from me. Ann does still got it, judging from YouTube.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You ain’t got no heart but you got soul.

I was like, I would hardly call Nancy Wilson a Ferrari compared to Stevie, but Ann Wilson, oh yeah! That is a voice. But Nancy only sings lead one or two songs live, so she better be able to hit those high notes. Ann and Stevie carry the whole show, so they get some grace from me. Ann does still got it, judging from YouTube.
Up until 2016 I'd say, Ann's voice was much stronger than Stevie's but now, Ann really struggles and she tries to go for original notes and I cringe. I feel bad for her because it sounds painful sometimes.

What Stevie did well was she started singing lower in her late forties so that people came to expect that from her so now Stevie sounds really strong because she sounds like she did around The Dance just that she doesn't hit some notes in songs that she did around The Dance.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely. I’ve seen Heart a few times and Ann is a total powerhouse. My favorite is when they cover Led Zeppelin songs - Ann does Robert Plant better than Robert Plant. I can’t listen to Stevie’s cover of Rock and Roll because it doesn’t even come close to how perfectly Ann sings it.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
Absolutely. I’ve seen Heart a few times and Ann is a total powerhouse. My favorite is when they cover Led Zeppelin songs - Ann does Robert Plant better than Robert Plant. I can’t listen to Stevie’s cover of Rock and Roll because it doesn’t even come close to how perfectly Ann sings it.
Ann is probably the only person in the world that brought Robert Plant to tears. yeah....IT WAS THAT GOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFxOaDeJmXk
Old 12-04-2022, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
After Covid started to recede, I made a decision I was going to start doing or buying things instead of saying “I don’t want to spend the money.” For example, there were some collectors books I didn’t buy, and then 2 years later when I changed my mind, they had doubled or tripled in price. Even prior to Covid, I didn’t see Christine and Lindsey on their tour, because I basically took it for granted that there would be more opportunities.

My point is, I’m happy to hear you thought Heart put on a good show. If they ever come within 2 hours of where I live, I’m going to see them! I saw Dolly Parton, I saw Diana Ross, and I have a few more I’d like to see before it’s too late. Kenny Rogers was one I could have seen, and should have, but I didn’t. I’d like to see Pat Benatar, Cyndi Lauper, and some others.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:21 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
After Covid started to recede, I made a decision I was going to start doing or buying things instead of saying “I don’t want to spend the money.” For example, there were some collectors books I didn’t buy, and then 2 years later when I changed my mind, they had doubled or tripled in price. Even prior to Covid, I didn’t see Christine and Lindsey on their tour, because I basically took it for granted that there would be more opportunities.

My point is, I’m happy to hear you thought Heart put on a good show. If they ever come within 2 hours of where I live, I’m going to see them! I saw Dolly Parton, I saw Diana Ross, and I have a few more I’d like to see before it’s too late. Kenny Rogers was one I could have seen, and should have, but I didn’t. I’d like to see Pat Benatar, Cyndi Lauper, and some others.
I saw Cyndi Lauper when she opened for Tina Turner (which I believe was also the same year as "The Dance"). Did not expect her to be the phenomenal performer she turned out to be live. Obviously, Tina scorched earth the place when she finally took the stage, but Cyndi killed it and proved herself worthy to be on the same stage. One of the best concerts I've ever been to.

On a side note, I remember paying $64 and some change for 7th row center floor seats. No Ticketmaster BS like today. Couldn't imagine what the ticket prices would be today for the same concert.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

Was the demo Stevie did of Olivia's "Tied Up" also recorded around the RAL period, or earlier?