User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tina, Carole, Go-Go's finally in RNRHOF

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-2021-1168001/

Tina Turner, Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, Go-Go’s Lead Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2021 Class
Carole King, Todd Rundgren, LL Cool J, and Kraftwerk also enter the Cleveland institution

By ANDY GREENE

rock and roll hall of fame inductee class foo fighters dave grohl tina turner jay z
Greg Allen/Invision/AP; Obed Zilwa/AP; Gary Gershoff/MediaPunch/IPX/AP

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced this year’s inductees: Foo Fighters, The Go-Go’s, Jay-Z, Carole King, Todd Rundgren, and Tina Turner will join the class of 2021 in the Performers category.

Additionally, LL Cool J, Billy Preston, and Randy Rhoads will receive the Musical Excellence Award. Kraftwerk, Gil Scott Heron and Charley Patton will get the Early Influence Award, and Sussex Records founder Clarence Avant will be given the Ahmet Ertegun Award.

The induction ceremony will be held at Cleveland, Ohio’s Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse on October 30th. It will be broadcast on HBO Max and Streamed on HBO Max at a later date.

“This is our most diverse class in the history of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame,” says chairman John Sykes, who is also IHeartMedia’s President of Entertainment Enterprises. “It really represents the Hall’s ongoing commitment to honor the artists that have created not only rock & roll, but the sound of youth culture.”

Three of this year’s inductees — Grohl, Turner, and King — are entering the Hall of Fame for the second time. King was inducted along with her former songwriting partner Gerry Goffin in 1990 as a non-performer, Tina Turner entered in 1991 as half of the Ike & Tina Turner duo, and Grohl was brought in as Nirvana’s drummer in 2014. “I am absolutely thrilled to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame amongst such amazing artists!” Tuner wrote in a statement. “Thank you for all your continued love and support over the years!”

“Holy ****! The guitar player from the Germs is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!!!” Foo Fighters wrote on Twitter, a reference to Foo guitarist Pat Smear, a founding member of the L.A. hardcore band.

“It’s very difficult to get inducted twice and we have three this year,” says Sykes. “It’s also a rare year where three of the six inductees are women: Tina, Carole and the Go-Gos. It just shows the continued power and relevance and recognition of women in music.”

Last year, the pandemic forced organizers to scramble and hold a virtual event on HBO in November. For the first time in Hall of Fame history, mini-documentaries honoring the inductees replaced live performances. “It was very well-received by viewers,” says Sykes. “I think you’ll see a great live event, and maybe a hybrid show on HBO that will be a combination of live music and some of these documentary-style pieces that really told the story of the inductees.”

The live event will hopefully feature performances by every inductee that is present, though Turner lives in Switzerland and hasn’t performed since the end of her 2009 world tour. “We’d be so proud and honored to have her attend,” says Sykes. “It just depends on how she feels and whether she wants to fly to America. It would be quite a moment if she could. I promise you, if she cannot make the trip, there will be an incredible tribute paid to her by a group of artists.”

There’s an unusually large numbers of inductees this year outside of the Performers category. Most ceremonies see two or three such inductees, but there are seven this time out. “That’s because we’ve really created, for the first time this year, special committees that actually nominate and induct artists,” says Sykes. “These are very diverse committees that actually include artists themselves like [Run-DMC’s] Darryl McDaniels, Little Steven, and Tom Morello.” (LL Cool J and Kraftwerk were both nominated six times in the past. They failed to enter through the regular process, and getting in the Musical Excellence and Early Influence awards allows them to circumnavigate the voters.)

Past Cleveland inductions have been held at the 10,000-seat Public Hall, but this year they are moving to the 20,000 seat Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. “We just needed more room,” says Sykes. “Tickets go so fast and we wanted to have as many people from the Cleveland area be able to attend the show as possible.”

If the current pandemic trajectory holds, arena concerts will just be starting in America around the time of the ceremony. “I think we’re going to see this fall as the very beginnings of the reopening of live music in America,” says Sykes, who adds that the event will be fully COVID-compliant. “An event like the Rock & Roll of Fame induction ceremony will be a precursor of what we’re all looking forward to getting back to in 2022.”

In This Article: Carole King, Foo Fighters, Jay-Z, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, The Go-Go's, Tina Turner, Todd Rundgren

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-16-2021, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad to see that Tina is getting in ..in all fairness she should have been the first woman inducted twice...but some people are just more manipulative .

Old 05-17-2021, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I'm glad to see that Tina is getting in ..in all fairness she should have been the first woman inducted twice...but some people are just more manipulative .
You're brilliant!
You want it, Azoff makes it happen.

Chrissie Hynde said it best that RRHOF was created by people who wanted to receive awards.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
You're brilliant!
You want it, Azoff makes it happen.

Chrissie Hynde said it best that RRHOF was created by people who wanted to receive awards.
That's all goat cares about now. Money, awards, and FAME.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's all goat cares about now. Money, awards, and FAME.
$he's a legend, you know. If you're ever uncertain about that, just axe her. $he'll set you $traight.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
$he's a legend, you know. If you're ever uncertain about that, just axe her. $he'll set you $traight.
Shes a trailblazer dont ya know? Without her Tina or Carole would never know how to build their solo careers right??

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough for this nonsense of Nicks seriously taking credit as if she deserved to be first woman double inductee over these way more accomplished trailblazers. No humility or self reflection at all. And I cannot roll my eyes enough over Tina only now being inducted as a solo act. Or Go-gos only now being inducted and even put for a vote after being eligible for years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-18-2021, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Shes a trailblazer dont ya know? Without her Tina or Carole would never know how to build their solo careers right??

I cannot roll my eyes hard enough for this nonsense of Nicks seriously taking credit as if she deserved to be first woman double inductee over these way more accomplished trailblazers. No humility or self reflection at all. And I cannot roll my eyes enough over Tina only now being inducted as a solo act. Or Go-gos only now being inducted and even put for a vote after being eligible for years.
I guess Irving can make anything happen!

"He(Irving) may be Satan, but he's OUR Satan". - Don Henley
Old 05-18-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

Hey now!!! She wrote a song about MLK . Which I'm going to quote a beautiful writer:

Its beyond. Its delusional and insulting to anyone who has committed genuine time and energy to securing equity and racial equality.

These lyrics.

I don't know if it was 1960 or 1963
Everything was timeless, even me
I wasn't old, I wasn't young, I was just part of their dream
A shadow walked with me down the hall, it was Martin Luther King
Old 05-18-2021, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I guess Irving can make anything happen!

"He(Irving) may be Satan, but he's OUR Satan". - Don Henley
Irving got himself inducted or intimidated his way in to the Hall before Tina, Gloria Estefan, or Chaka.

So did Jon Landau...another d***hat
Old 05-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Irving got himself inducted or intimidated his way in to the Hall before Tina, Gloria Estefan, or Chaka.
ah yeah - Chaka Khan or Kate Bush still not in either.

but rnrhof was all proud of themsleves that this year 50% of inductees are women?! guess what, maybe 100% should have been women this year, and they'd still not be anywhere close to catching up.

Dave Grohl's band or Jay Z could have waited a few years. no reason whatsoever for them to be inducted the first year considering how many worthy acts are still not in.