Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default CDs - kind of a technical ?

I've noticed that when I put SYW on random play, it groups Stevie's ar LB's songs together. I mean, one day I'll hear 5 or 6 LB tunes in a row at first, then the next day I'll hear 8 in a row, then another day it'll be 7 or Stevie's, etc. It happens every single time I play the disc on random.

Does anyone know if this is just a fluke, or is it possible for them (the band? the label? the CD manufacturer?) to do something to the CD to make it play that way.

Stupid question, I know, but I'm bored & curious.

Paula
Old 11-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Pretty sure it's just random play.

I guess it goes something like this normally:

Lindsey
Stevie
Stevie
Lindsey
Lindsey
Stevie
Lindsey
Lindsey
Stevie
Stevie
Stevie
Lindsey
Lindsey
Stevie
Stevie
Lindsey
Stevie

So, even on a normal arrangement, they both have multiple plays. Seems like to mix it up a little would perhaps but two next to two and then you have maybe...four Stevie songs in a row. It is odd, but I'm not sure how you could make that happen in the studio, so that it would happen on the CD.
& the voice of a choir
& a melody...
nothing else mattered
Old 11-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've not noticed that on random play...

BUT as far as SYW goes...I bought the special edition when it came out - skipped from day one - and now part of the cd is peeling!!! It won't play the second half AT ALL on my car stereo....so I bought a new one last weekend...

The second half STILL won't play on my car cd player and I've got no idea why....it's really pissing me of....

ANyone else have issue like that??
Old 11-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mathematically, it's almost impossible to get a 'random' list with alternated songs between songwriters. You'll always get Lindsey, Lindsey, Lindsey, Stevie, Stevie, etc... A subject regarding probabilities.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Tried the random...

and here are the results:

Lindsey
Stevie
Lindsey
Lindsey
Stevie
Lindsey
Stevie
Stevie
Stevie
Lindsey
Stevie
Lindsey
Stevie
Lindsey
Stevie
Stevie
Lindsey
Lindsey

I don't see a pattern whatsoever...So maybe your cd player has a random pattern programmed in that may just play 'em in a pattern that is coincedential

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
BUT as far as SYW goes...I bought the special edition when it came out - skipped from day one - and now part of the cd is peeling!!! It won't play the second half AT ALL on my car stereo....so I bought a new one last weekend...

The second half STILL won't play on my car cd player and I've got no idea why....it's really pissing me of....

My special edition copy plays fine, But the label looks rather cheap compared to the regular version disc of SYW...But it isnt peeling.

I have a similar problem to yer car cd player, I noticed certain discs I own will not play in the different cd players I own, But some play fine in all 7 of 'em...So who knows

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've never heard BTLH (studio version) all the way through because it has skipped in the middle since I got it and stops playing. There is no scratch or anything. I guess I should buy another one.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After a while my portable Sony CD player will play the same "random" list. It's kind of annoying because the purpose of random is to not know what's gonna come next. I have no clue why it does that but it doesn't seem to until it gets "familiar" with a CD. I haven't noticed it with my FM stuff though.
Old 11-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
I've never heard BTLH (studio version) all the way through because it has skipped in the middle since I got it and stops playing. There is no scratch or anything. I guess I should buy another one.
Yeah - there's NO scratches or anything on mine either - and yep - it's right around BTLH that it poops out....how annoying...but good to know I'm not the only one on this planet with that problem
Old 11-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hmmm...

Quote:
Yeah - there's NO scratches or anything on mine either - and yep - it's right around BTLH that it poops out....how annoying...but good to know I'm not the only one on this planet with that problem
sounds like a bad QC problem and/or mastering problem during the maunfacturing of the disc...

Have ya emailed Reprise to see if others have had the same problem? Us Dream Theater fans had a very recent manufacturing SNAFU with the "Live In Budokan" DVD whereas the sound drops severely from 5.1 to crappy almost 2.0 Stereo sound due to problems with the DVD's dual layering (Which caused the whole problem) and Rhino will be replacing the defective DVD's.

Brian j.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Disc one of my Buffalo boot died this summer. 1/3 of the cd lost it's shiny surface. You can literally see through it. Anyone have this happen to any cds?
I have no idea what might've caused it.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

i had that prob when i bought heart's greatest hits~ i bought 5 of them in a row & the like had 2 return ea 1 cuz they wouldn't play @ all on my car or home or cd player @ my hubby's wrk~ i finally gave up & like 5 yrs later i bought it again & it plays flawlwessly~ i have no idea what the deal was, it totally pissed me off @ the time & everytime i get the cd out 2 play now i instantly think of what a mess it was just 2 get a copy!~ lololololol

blessed be~
Old 11-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Your disc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Disc one of my Buffalo boot died this summer. 1/3 of the cd lost it's shiny surface. You can literally see through it. Anyone have this happen to any cds?
I have no idea what might've caused it.
may have something similar to what is called CD Rot:

http://www.rdrop.com/~half/General/CDRot/CDRot.html

http://www.foetusized.org/cdrot.html

I had to trash a great sounding U2 disc that suffered from the same fate where the aluminum surface peeled off which left the cd without any data to be read and played.

Whoever said cd's last a lifetime need to rethink that theory, Cause it is very flawed...

Brian j.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
may have something similar to what is called CD Rot:

http://www.rdrop.com/~half/General/CDRot/CDRot.html

http://www.foetusized.org/cdrot.html

I had to trash a great sounding U2 disc that suffered from the same fate where the aluminum surface peeled off which left the cd without any data to be read and played.

Whoever said cd's last a lifetime need to rethink that theory, Cause it is very flawed...

Brian j.
For the record, it was a FUJIFILM CD that a kind soul sent me Buffalo on.
I've never used Fuji, and I sure won't now!
Old 11-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
For the record, it was a FUJIFILM CD that a kind soul sent me Buffalo on.
I've never used Fuji, and I sure won't now!
I wasnt the one who sent ya a copy...I USED to use FujiFilm (Cheap made Taiwan discs...The Japanese made Fuji's are great they're hard to find in stores), But now I use "Samsung" exclusively.

Brian j.

Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
I wasnt the one who sent ya a copy...I USED to use FujiFilm (Cheap made Taiwan discs...The Japanese made Fuji's are great they're hard to find in stores), But now I use "Samsung" exclusively.

Brian j.
As I recall, someone on alt.music.FM offered to send the show to the first 5 people that responded. That's how I got it (I think )
I use cheapo Verbatim 100 disc spindles, and have virtually no problems with them.
david
Old 11-12-2004, 11:30 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.