User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I don’t think his appearance on AI has anything to do with his legacy- it’s just a way to get his name in the public eye.
Ridiculous. The man is almost 72 years old. His name has been in the public eye since 1975.

Quote:
Between getting fired from FM and his recovery from a heart attack, Lindsey has been in the news pretty much more than ever, so good for him for taking advantage of the goodwill.
What are you talking about? Those who liked Buckingham before he got fired still like Buckingham. Those who didn’t still don’t, and those who didn’t give a damn one way or the other — the American Idol TV audience — still don’t.

Quote:
And while I totally agree AI is not the demographic audience for him . . .
Glad to hear you agree, since it’s completely true!

Quote:
. . . that’s actually another good reason to do the show- exposure to a younger crowd who may have no clue who Lindsey Buckingham is until they hear the opening chords of Go Your Own Way.
That crowd doesn’t care whether they hear the opening chords of “Go Your Own Way” or “Never Going Back Again” or “On the Atcheson, Topeka, and the Santa Fe.” The only reason he is doing this show is to appear on TV. To what end, even I can’t fathom. Probably just some hare-brained publicity thing (as if publicity has ever had any measurable effect on his non-Fleetwood Mac work?).

Quote:
Then they’ll make the connection.
Nobody watching the show who didn’t already know and like Buckingham will make any “connection.” They’ll sit there and watch an old man sing something and wonder who the hell he is and why he’s on American Idol.

Quote:
Working with David Byrne wouldn’t get him near the amount of publicity this one night gig will get him.
Working with David Byrne — which I posited as an example — isn’t a publicity stunt. Appearing on American Idol is a publicity stunt. Unfortunately, it will fail to create much of a stir, outside Buckingham’s longtime audience. Nobody else will care at all.

Quote:
Besides, do you really see LB and DB collaborating equally on a musical project?
No, I don’t, Mr. Literal-minded.

Quote:
I can’t see why anyone would fault him for doing a show like this, mainstream as it is.
Maybe I’m more rational than you?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2021, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Ridiculous. The man is almost 72 years old. His name has been in the public eye since 1975.

What are you talking about? Those who liked Buckingham before he got fired still like Buckingham. Those who didn’t still don’t, and those who didn’t give a damn one way or the other — the American Idol TV audience — still don’t.

Glad to hear you agree, since it’s completely true!

That crowd doesn’t care whether they hear the opening chords of “Go Your Own Way” or “Never Going Back Again” or “On the Atcheson, Topeka, and the Santa Fe.” The only reason he is doing this show is to appear on TV. To what end, even I can’t fathom. Probably just some hare-brained publicity thing (as if publicity has ever had any measurable effect on his non-Fleetwood Mac work?).

Nobody watching the show who didn’t already know and like Buckingham will make any “connection.” They’ll sit there and watch an old man sing something and wonder who the hell he is and why he’s on American Idol.

Working with David Byrne — which I posited as an example — isn’t a publicity stunt. Appearing on American Idol is a publicity stunt. Unfortunately, it will fail to create much of a stir, outside Buckingham’s longtime audience. Nobody else will care at all.

No, I don’t, Mr. Literal-minded.

Maybe I’m more rational than you?
Wow- thanks for the sentence by sentence analysis telling me how wrong I was about, well, everything.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow- thanks for the sentence by sentence analysis telling me how wrong I was about, well, everything.
Well, I didn’t want to be the only one experiencing that. It felt selfish.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2021, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Ok, here is the million dollar question. Will they introduce him as Fleetwood Mac's guitarist or correctly as Fleetwood Mac's former guitarist. I hope the truth wins out so people know and especially and band members watching know what they lost. Maybe a bit of google searchers will scratch their heads.......he was fired for dancing?

BTW, he looks great. Many of the comments on here scared me thinking he had botched plastic surgery. He took some grey out and photoshopped his turkey neck. He looks fantastic.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Ok, here is the million dollar question. Will they introduce him as Fleetwood Mac's guitarist or correctly as Fleetwood Mac's former guitarist. I hope the truth wins out so people know and especially and band members watching know what they lost.
I say "Grammy winning Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham"

If it were Rick or Billy on the show I'd be very happy if they were called Fleetwood Mac guitarist.

I can't consider Neil or Mike members of FM because they have not made music with FM. And Freedom doesn't count. Because if Freedom Counts, then Robbie Patton should be called a member of FM.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I say "Grammy winning Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham".
yep. he's Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham.

not just guitarist. he's Fleetwood Mac;s guitarist, singer-songwriter and producer. no former bs. Fleetwood Mac doesn't exist right now anyway, so if he's former than Mick and Stevie are former too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
BTW, he looks great. Many of the comments on here scared me thinking he had botched plastic surgery. He took some grey out and photoshopped his turkey neck. He looks fantastic.
he does not look great. he had work done under his eyes and above his upper lip. besides the botox to his forehead. and his eyes disappeared.

hopefully it will settle by the time Sunday rolls around, but definitely looked off in the Nile interview and even worse for that heavily airbrushed pic.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-19-2021, 06:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he does not look great. he had work done under his eyes and above his upper lip. besides the botox to his forehead. and his eyes disappeared.

hopefully it will settle by the time Sunday rolls around, but definitely looked off in the Nile interview and even worse for that heavily airbrushed pic.
I disagree. He looks fine. No one looks fantastic on a zoom call. For his age, he looks really good.
I also disagree with you about introducing him as a member of Fleetwood Mac. IMHO, that's wrong because it glosses over what happened. I refuse to "pretend" it did not happen and Mick and the band should live with the consequences. When Nile called Mick a gentle and kindered spirit, I almost closed out the interview. Its another gloss over the decision Mick made. Money over legacy. Stevie over the band. Recently Mick talks like it never happened and started praising Lindsey again. I hate puff interviews. Instead of praising Mick as some angelic figure, why did he not ask "Why would Mick kick you to the curb and treat you like this? Just more pretending IMHO and it annoys me to death. Its the elephant in the room and its not asked about? We just are to pretend it never happened and he is with the band somehow?
(**start playing the song Wrong**)
I dislike the pretending and the best thing for Lindsey to do is to go his own way.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-19-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Old 05-19-2021, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I disagree. He looks fine. No one looks fantastic on a zoom call. For his age, he looks really good.
I also disagree with you about introducing him as a member of Fleetwood Mac. IMHO, that's wrong because it glosses over what happened. I refuse to "pretend" it did not happen and Mick and the band should live with the consequences. When Nile called Mick a gentle and kindered spirit, I almost closed out the interview. Its another gloss over the decision Mick made. Money over legacy. Stevie over the band. Recently Mick talks like it never happened and started praising Lindsey again.
(**start playing the song Wrong**)
I dislike the pretending and the best thing for Lindsey to do is to go his own way.
I did look again at the photo. You're right. He still looks like Lindsey; it's the cheeks that just make Cher pop in my head.
I respect what you say about him being introduced as a former member. But I also think by him being introduced as Fleetwood Mac singer and guitarist, it backfires on Stevie and Mick. By that I mean he's still considered a member of Fleetwood Mac.

I think Lindsey doesn't want to let what Stevie did to him destroy his relationship with Mick. Even in 2018, Lindsey said to RollingStone that Mick is still a great guy.

Ultimately, Lindsey's the one who came out of the firing with integrity. Mac did an oldies tour. Lindsey released his first "Best Of" and it included new tracks.

Lindsey remained an artist and did his first tour celebrating his career with songs never done live. Stevie, Chris, Mick, and John were a jukebox playing mainly songs that were done live plenty of times and songs not written nor recorded by Stevie or Chris (BMW, Tell Me, I Got You, Don't Dream, Hypnotized)
Old 05-19-2021, 03:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was more entertaining than American Idol itself!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

is Ozzy a former member of Black Sabbath?

yes, Black Sabbath currently doesn't exist, but they keep being on and off. same as Fleetwood Mac. and Ozzy got fired, they had other huge front people, then he came back, then left, then reunited, and on and on.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

yes, Black Sabbath currently doesn't exist, but they keep being on and off. same as Fleetwood Mac. and Ozzy got fired, they had other huge front people, then he came back, then left, then reunited, and on and on.
Would you agree that it's same for Sammy and David with VH? I say it's like the Ozzy and Ronnie example too.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://talentrecap.com/eliminated-i...at-the-finale/

Talentrecap.com a Singing a American Idol
Eliminated ‘Idol’ Contestants to Perform with Music Superstars at the Finale
Samantha Agate

American-Idol-Finale-American-Idol-Cassandra-Coleman-Lindsey-BuckinghamABC/Eric McCandless

The American Idol finale is going to be nothing short of amazing. The show’s biggest night will feature tons of performances during the three-hour episode. Before crowning the winner of Season 19 on Sunday night, superstar artists will join some of the eliminated contestants from this season in epic collaborations.

Eliminated ‘American Idol Contestants are Coming Back to the Finale to Perform with Huge Artists

The first duet that was announced today is Cassandra Coleman and Lindsey Buckingham. Buckingham was fired from Fleetwood Mac in 2018. The pair will be performing the band’s 1977 hit “Go Your Own Way.” Buckingham previously underwent emergency open-heart surgery in 2019 and has been slowly getting back into the music scene since then.

After American Idol’s Disney Night episode, Cassandra was eliminated along with Alyssa Wray and Deshawn Goncalves. Alyssa and Deshawn will most likely be announced as finale performers at some point this week. Cassandra, a coffee shop manager was known for her unique vocal style that always managed to have Lionel Richie up on his feet. She was even expected by some to make it into the Top 5.

“This experience has been beautiful and life-changing” Cassandra said after her elimination. “It has set a whole new path for my life, and I’m so excited to continue this musical journey. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.”

Fully expect American Idol to roll out more performance announcements as the day goes on. Graham DeFranco hinted during our exclusive interview that he would be traveling this week and that we should look out for him this Sunday. We think he has a secret performance in the works with a celebrity.

Other announced performers include all three American Idol judges, Mickey Guyton, Leona Lewis, and Alessia Cara. Which eliminated contestants are you excited to see brought back to sing during the finale?

Old 05-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don’t know anything about Black Sabbath so I can’t comment on that. But Unwinded Dreams brought up David Lee Roth and Van Halen and Steve Perry and Journey, and I would be surprised if they were ever introduced as current members of their respective bands.

I guess it could just be semantics at this point, but I can see now, after this dialogue, why people feel the way they do. I think of Billy, Rick, or Bekka as former members, too. I realize that Lindsey’s contributions were much more longer and significant than theirs, but I think people may feel that referring to Lindsey as a former member of FM is downplaying or minimizing his role in the band, and that’s just not so. Lindsey’s self worth or value is not dependent upon his status with FM.

Another example I just thought of is Peter Gabriel and Genesis.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don’t know anything about Black Sabbath so I can’t comment on that. But Unwinded Dreams brought up David Lee Roth and Van Halen and Steve Perry and Journey, and I would be surprised if they were ever introduced as current members of their respective bands.
To clarify my belief, I woul call Steve Perry a former member. Journey moved on from him and made albums.
imo, FM did not move on from Lindsey. They released a Best Of with Lindsey songs on it and toured to promote that Best Of, playing songs from the Best Of and 3 covers.

I went to a handful of the 2018-19 shows and had fun at most but I feel it wasn't a moving on from Lindsey... it just was he wasn't there. Stevie still did her usual mic turn to sing GYOW and Storms to Neil like she did with Lindsey. Which was kind of out there to me because she doesn't have a past with Neil.