Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Thoughts on the Fleetwood Mac Live reissue

I’ve been waiting to read what folks think of it. I’ve only listened to the new cd once and I have to say I wasn’t real impressed. The worst versions of Second Hand News, The Chain, and Think About Me I’ve ever heard, unfortunately. I suppose they’ll grow on me. Brown Eyes is fantastic. Admittedly, there are few live versions to compare it to, but Christine’s vocals are incredible here.

I haven’t had a chance to listen to the remastered version of the original CDs but I’m sure the sound will be much better. I’m not going to complain about the price because there’s no point and besides, I didn’t have to buy it. It was my decision to do so. I just can’t help but be disappointed the Tusk documentary wasn’t included as well. I mean, is the studio holding out for a dvd/blu ray package at some point, are the copyrights in some sort of legal limbo, or what? I’d say they’re being lazy but clearly a lot of thought and effort went into these rereleases, so I wish they would say why the Tusk documentary and Mirage concerts weren’t also released on dvd/blu ray as well.

Anyway, what do other folks think of this reissue?
Old 04-12-2021, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’ve been waiting to read what folks think of it. I’ve only listened to the new cd once and I have to say I wasn’t real impressed. The worst versions of Second Hand News, The Chain, and Think About Me I’ve ever heard, unfortunately.
Just curious: When you say those are the worst versions you’ve ever heard, how many versions have you heard? Have you heard Second Hand News and The Chain live from 1982? Think About Me live from 1980? Do these particular nights stand out as bad to you? Or do you just not like the way the band did these songs on these tours?

I’ll go out on a not-very-long limb here and say that there really isn’t much difference in performance in those songs from their respective tours. The Chain, for example, sounds nearly identical to the commercially released performance on the video and later on the Mirage deluxe set. They were recorded on successive nights in LA, after all. Second Hand News Los Angeles sounds like Oakland, which sounds like Memphis, which sounds like Detroit, which sounds like Minneapolis, which sounds like Austin, and on and on. There is no great variety in the performance quality of most songs on the short 1982 tour. We’ve heard most of them on audience and soundboard tapes, after all.

Think About Me was played live only for about a month in 1980. Have you heard other performances of it from that time (Hollywood Bowl, Mobile, Wichita, Atlanta), or is this the first time you’ve heard the song done live from that year?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

*blank stare at the stairs*
Old 04-13-2021, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I still find it peculiar that they went for the $100 deluxe edition for a flop album. There is no other way to describe it when every other album whether studio , live or compilation from the Rumours five at least went multi- platinum .Some of the albums from the so called 'wilderness years' have handily outsold this one.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I still find it peculiar that they went for the $100 deluxe edition for a flop album. There is no other way to describe it when every other album whether studio , live or compilation from the Rumours five at least went multi- platinum .Some of the albums from the so called 'wilderness years' have handily outsold this one.
I know, I am glad they did though. The Live album is one of my all time favorites. When I upgraded my albums and tapes to CDs in the early 90s, this was one of the first replacements.....even before Rumours and Tusk. I don't even have the Dance on CD. Its just so sterile for me. I bought the tape because I wanted to listen to it in my car and my car did not have a CD player LOL

Could you imagine if you could go back in time and tell Mick and Warner brothers on a gloomy sales day in 1980, "Dont worry, in 40 years the reissue will be selling for $100 per copy"
Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Just curious: When you say those are the worst versions you’ve ever heard, how many versions have you heard? Have you heard Second Hand News and The Chain live from 1982? Think About Me live from 1980? Do these particular nights stand out as bad to you? Or do you just not like the way the band did these songs on these tours?

I’ll go out on a not-very-long limb here and say that there really isn’t much difference in performance in those songs from their respective tours. The Chain, for example, sounds nearly identical to the commercially released performance on the video and later on the Mirage deluxe set. They were recorded on successive nights in LA, after all. Second Hand News Los Angeles sounds like Oakland, which sounds like Memphis, which sounds like Detroit, which sounds like Minneapolis, which sounds like Austin, and on and on. There is no great variety in the performance quality of most songs on the short 1982 tour. We’ve heard most of them on audience and soundboard tapes, after all.

Think About Me was played live only for about a month in 1980. Have you heard other performances of it from that time (Hollywood Bowl, Mobile, Wichita, Atlanta), or is this the first time you’ve heard the song done live from that year?
All good points. The only live versions of Think About Me I’d heard before were from the last FM tour with Lindsey, and I thought it was really well done. This version, perhaps I had higher hopes because it was from 1980 and I thought it would sound better. It’s not very tight and I’m disappointed in the ending- I love the harmonies and back up “ooh ooh ooh ooh” vocals, and this live version doesn’t have much of that. Second Hand News I’ve heard live many times, and this version is loud, more of a rock song, and I don’t know how to explain it, except to say it’s less catchy. The Chain, again I’m very disappointed in the ending. I’m sure the more I listen to it, the more I’ll come to accept the differences for positives, but my initial listen was disappointing. Really loved What Makes You Think You’re the One!

This was the first time I’ve heard Hold Me from 1982, and it was really well done! I thought it would a messy song to perform live, but they were pretty tight. I’m looking forward to listening to the other CD today.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
All good points. The only live versions of Think About Me I’d heard before were from the last FM tour with Lindsey, and I thought it was really well done. This version, perhaps I had higher hopes because it was from 1980 and I thought it would sound better. It’s not very tight and I’m disappointed in the ending- I love the harmonies and back up “ooh ooh ooh ooh” vocals, and this live version doesn’t have much of that. Second Hand News I’ve heard live many times, and this version is loud, more of a rock song, and I don’t know how to explain it, except to say it’s less catchy. The Chain, again I’m very disappointed in the ending. I’m sure the more I listen to it, the more I’ll come to accept the differences for positives, but my initial listen was disappointing. Really loved What Makes You Think You’re the One!

This was the first time I’ve heard Hold Me from 1982, and it was really well done! I thought it would a messy song to perform live, but they were pretty tight. I’m looking forward to listening to the other CD today.
Everything was a different sound back in the day. I call it arena rock. You cant even compare The Chain 1980 or 1982 to The Dance The Chain 1997. Its apples and watermelons. Of course Think About Me in 2014 is going to sound different than 1980. Technology changed and the Mac wants to sound like the studio in live shows these days.
Many of us (including me) much prefer this raw, unpolished, and arena rock sound. Your description of Second Hand News makes me want to hear the song and probably like it more with what you call it "Loud and a rock song" That sounds so good to me.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-13-2021 at 06:51 AM..
Old 04-13-2021, 07:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Everything was a different sound back in the day. I call it arena rock. You cant even compare The Chain 1980 or 1982 to The Dance The Chain 1997. Its apples and watermelons. Of course Think About Me in 2014 is going to sound different than 1980. Technology changed and the Mac wants to sound like the studio in live shows these days.
Many of us (including me) much prefer this raw, unpolished, and arena rock sound. Your description of Second Hand News makes me want to hear the song and probably like it more with what you call it "Loud and a rock song" That sounds so good to me.
I see what you’re saying and you’re probably right. But listening to Think About Me again, my disappointment isn’t that it doesn’t sound polished, it’s that they changed the ending. There is no “ooh ooh ooh” section at the end, which was my favorite part of the song, and technology aside back in 1980, they could have kept that section but chose not to. Maybe it wouldn’t have sounded as polished, though. It’s kind of like if they performed Big Love and then ended the song before all the grunts lol. The live versions of Landslide, Go Your Own Way, and Sara are my favorite, and they’re very faithful but still have enough differences from the recorded versions to sound unique, especially Landslide.

Have you bought or heard the record and if so, what are your thoughts? I’m really excited to hear what others think.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My box set arrives today and I can’t wait to play it all. These box sets are the best treasures for a fan since the 70’s. It’s worth every penny IMO. These live tracks showcase Fleetwood Mac in their prime.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was a big fan of Live when it came out in 1980 and had high expectations for it, along the lines of the Eagles live but unfortunately I think Tusk's initial cold reaction dampened enthusiasm and sales. The only quip I had was the version of Don't Stop, like why not an actual concert? As for the new set, so much to like. I love Stevie's growl on Angel and Sisters of the Moon, she had perfected it during the Tusk tour. I could listen to her sing like that for days. Sisters of the Moon is awesome and I really love the Cecelia lyrics at the end, her voice is among the best live voice I've ever heard from her. A big surprise is What Makes You Think You're the One- translates amazing to the stage- so surprised it never made single status and Lindsey's shining moment on this reissue. The keyboard driven Think About Me is also a great listen, to this day I'm shocked this song was not a monster hit, it's truly outstanding and as good or better than You Make Loving Fun. Brown Eyes and Hold Me showcase just how much Christine's voice was improving live, not that she was ever bad, but it was so much stronger. I'm going to enjoy this reissue for years to come, reminds me of why I was such a committed fan for so long and great memories from my teen years. Love it.

Last edited by On Ice; 04-13-2021 at 07:20 AM..
Old 04-13-2021, 08:44 AM

I really love the new stuff!! Especially the start of the bonus album. It does feel like a nice show if you close your eyes and forget about which versions you know, etc.

Second Hand News A (Wow what an energy charge!)

The Chain A- (Cleveland sounds like Los Angeles!)

Think About Me A (This is fantastic! Great "performance")

What Makes You Think You’re The One A (Cleanest version I've heard)

Gold Dust Woman A- (Wonderful arrangement, embarrassed to say, I didn't catch the lyric mishap)

Brown Eyes A (This is so good. Very clean and wonderful)

The Green Manalishi A (Great energy)

Angel B (I've heard better versions, something off about this one)

Hold Me B+ (Still not as good as her solo tour)
{Should have been on the HBO special}

Tusk A- (Don't care for this live, but it's the best I've heard to date. The accordion is great in this, along with the extension of the song)

You Make Loving Fun B (Ho hum, Not their best. The Tusk Live Deluxe is better by far. )

Sisters Of The Moon B- (Very vanilla version, vocals eeek)

Songbird B- (This is the Songbird they choose? Again, the Tusk Wembley version is so much better. )

Blue Letter B+ (I really adore the HBO version)

Fireflies – B- (Ok, what's different?)

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-13-2021 at 11:38 AM..
Old 04-13-2021, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post

Fireflies – B- (Ok, what's different?)
I love that it's tagged "Long Version" but it's actually quite a bit shorter than the original
Old 04-13-2021, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mine is due to be delivered tomorrow. I thought a reissue of a live album was pretty strange, but I sprang for the Rhino release with all the goodies. I too love that raw sound. You didn't know what you might hear. Today, every concert is pretty much the same.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-13-2021, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the added stuff, it really fills in some obvious gaps in the original Live album. It's not all perfect, but it's a perfect time capsule of Fleetwood Mac in their 1977-82 prime. Some of my favorites...

Second Hand News - I love this as an opener, it's rocking, quick, and full of energy. To my ears, an improvement over using Say You Love Me.

The Chain - The '82 Chain disguising itself as an '80. It is pretty much note for note (99%) as the version from the next night. I thought they nailed it on this tour. The version on the Tusk Deluxe is pretty amazing as well, until I heard that, the Mirage Tour Video was always my favorite version. This one is great. Christine's organ, all of their vocals, Lindsey's guitar...spot on!

Gold Dust Woman - I love this version, the intro really sets the mood. I'll still say she really got this one right on The Dance, but I think this is a great addition.

Brown Eyes - love, love, love this. Why they played it again in 1987-88 but never since is beyond me.

Hold Me - This was the one I waited for. A cleaned up non bootleg version of Hold Me. Count me in as someone who loves the 'yeahhhhs' they did in 1982. This really sounds good!

There isn't really a bad song added, some of them are just same old things I've heard before so nothing overly interesting.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
I was a big fan of Live when it came out in 1980 and had high expectations for it, along the lines of the Eagles live but unfortunately I think Tusk's initial cold reaction dampened enthusiasm and sales. The only quip I had was the version of Don't Stop, like why not an actual concert? As for the new set, so much to like. I love Stevie's growl on Angel and Sisters of the Moon, she had perfected it during the Tusk tour. I could listen to her sing like that for days. Sisters of the Moon is awesome and I really love the Cecelia lyrics at the end, her voice is among the best live voice I've ever heard from her. A big surprise is What Makes You Think You're the One- translates amazing to the stage- so surprised it never made single status and Lindsey's shining moment on this reissue. The keyboard driven Think About Me is also a great listen, to this day I'm shocked this song was not a monster hit, it's truly outstanding and as good or better than You Make Loving Fun. Brown Eyes and Hold Me showcase just how much Christine's voice was improving live, not that she was ever bad, but it was so much stronger. I'm going to enjoy this reissue for years to come, reminds me of why I was such a committed fan for so long and great memories from my teen years. Love it.
Yeah, I agree with you. Live was always one of my favorites and I was starting to think we weren't going to get a deluxe edition for it. I had a chance to listen to it several times now and love everything on it. After several listens I now recognize what Stevie is saying at the end of SOTM but didn't realize it was from Cecelia. This is something that I will enjoy for years, and so glad we got it after being in the vault for 40 years!

As for the haters, if you don't want to buy it then don't. There are digital files for $18 if $100 is too much, but to come on here and try to spoil other people enjoyment over your own hateful rederick makes you out to be nothing more than another internet troll.