Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:36 PM
Ledgie

Default Press Attention Could Bolster Lindsey's New Album

Of course press attention can help sell records. But this specific level of press attention around Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Fleetwood Mac feels different (and hauntingly familiar) this time around.

The New York Times, LATimes, Rolling Stone...and more.

Has Lindsey ever had this much press attention with such emotional implications - less than 10 days before the release of a solo album? And this solo album is getting positive reviews, fans like what they've heard so far. He's sounding great on his tour which is also being well received.

This could lead to Lindsey having his highest charting solo debut ever, at age 71. He deserves a triumphant win, given the past few years alone.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He was trending on Twitter today!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, this is the most press Lindsey’s ever gotten for a solo album, and good for him. I suspect that’s why he’s been so open about the FM mess, because it makes for great headlines. But hey, if that’s what it takes to get the word out about his new album, I’m glad he’s doing it. I would suspect his album will chart pretty high the first 2 weeks at least, based on all the buzz.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
He was trending on Twitter today!
he was, and i guess no press is bad press.... but the slant that was picked up from his interviews today was not a good one. he sounds tone deaf, even though he threw all these particular daggers Stevie's way many times before. and even though Stevie's publicist-crafted response was basically admitting that she got him fired, and worse for her yet, that she started plotting this revenge on him all the way back in 1968 and finally got to pull the trigger with Azoff's help in 2018. sounds like a sad life being wrapped up around plotting a revenge around the guy who enabled your success for so many decades.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-09-2021, 05:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree that the tone of the coverage isn't great -- probably that is where Stevie's own stardom and her savvy moves to establish herself as an icon to younger generations will always win. How many of the journalists covering him are younger and admire Stevie?

I think it's easy for any of us to feel that Lindsey is making his own bed here, in terms of the bad press, and some of that is true. But the stories actually don't pick up some of the origins here -- specifically how the band gaslit the public and Lindsey by saying Lindsey didn't want to tour as the reason for firing him, and how he literally had to file a lawsuit to beat that back. I mean the level of lying was absurd -- I mean, if Stevie had said in 2018 that she has known him for 50 years, and while she wishes him well, she cannot work with him any more, we would have been sad, but I don't think the level of anger/disgust would be where it is. I know I would have said, you know, I'm sad they can't work together, but she has a right to avoid someone where there is so much conflict.

She couldn't do that. It wasn't enough for her to fire him -- she also wanted to come out as the hero, or at least without any of the blame for the thing she did. That's complete garbage, and that's what she is still trying to do in her responses to his comments in the pre-album media. He said a lot of rather awful things about them, but you know what, the comments aren't untrue, and they've all done pretty awful things to him -- Mick and (to a lesser extent) Christine talked about how much easier it was without Lindsey, and Mick was the main person spreading the Lindsey wouldn't tour storyline. And that was after Lindsey made an album and toured with Chris, and spent a lifetime working with Mick. On some level, why should he pretend they were better people than they are -- he was probably asked why they didn't stand up for him, and the answers are the answers -- no lies detected there.

I don't think it makes any of them look good. The cynic in me says that this is all a set up for a major cashing in tour with Lindsey back, because it would drum up serious interest. But maybe it's just that they're all deeply flawed people who really should avoid each other for everyone's sanity.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha View Post
I agree that the tone of the coverage isn't great -- probably that is where Stevie's own stardom and her savvy moves to establish herself as an icon to younger generations will always win. How many of the journalists covering him are younger and admire Stevie?

I think it's easy for any of us to feel that Lindsey is making his own bed here, in terms of the bad press, and some of that is true. But the stories actually don't pick up some of the origins here -- specifically how the band gaslit the public and Lindsey by saying Lindsey didn't want to tour as the reason for firing him, and how he literally had to file a lawsuit to beat that back. I mean the level of lying was absurd -- I mean, if Stevie had said in 2018 that she has known him for 50 years, and while she wishes him well, she cannot work with him any more, we would have been sad, but I don't think the level of anger/disgust would be where it is. I know I would have said, you know, I'm sad they can't work together, but she has a right to avoid someone where there is so much conflict.

She couldn't do that. It wasn't enough for her to fire him -- she also wanted to come out as the hero, or at least without any of the blame for the thing she did. That's complete garbage, and that's what she is still trying to do in her responses to his comments in the pre-album media. He said a lot of rather awful things about them, but you know what, the comments aren't untrue, and they've all done pretty awful things to him -- Mick and (to a lesser extent) Christine talked about how much easier it was without Lindsey, and Mick was the main person spreading the Lindsey wouldn't tour storyline. And that was after Lindsey made an album and toured with Chris, and spent a lifetime working with Mick. On some level, why should he pretend they were better people than they are -- he was probably asked why they didn't stand up for him, and the answers are the answers -- no lies detected there.

I don't think it makes any of them look good. The cynic in me says that this is all a set up for a major cashing in tour with Lindsey back, because it would drum up serious interest. But maybe it's just that they're all deeply flawed people who really should avoid each other for everyone's sanity.
Well said. I agree. Lindsey has a right to speak his truth about the band and what was done to him. He seems brutally honest for once. No hedging or speaking in a round about way. The 5 will never share a stage again after this. Stevie is beyond pissed. But she should have told the truth at the beginning. All of this would have probably blown over by now. It really amazes me though, that they were mature enough in their 20's to break up and still work together, but in their 70's and towards the end of a great career, they can't seem to do it. And that falls on the shoulders of Stevie Nicks.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 09-10-2021, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Well said. I agree. Lindsey has a right to speak his truth about the band and what was done to him. He seems brutally honest for once. No hedging or speaking in a round about way. The 5 will never share a stage again after this. Stevie is beyond pissed. But she should have told the truth at the beginning. All of this would have probably blown over by now. It really amazes me though, that they were mature enough in their 20's to break up and still work together, but in their 70's and towards the end of a great career, they can't seem to do it. And that falls on the shoulders of Stevie Nicks.
I don't think she's capable of telling the truth. She's been spinning her stories for so many decades now, that I think she believes the drivel that slides down her chin.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he was, and i guess no press is bad press.... but the slant that was picked up from his interviews today was not a good one. he sounds tone deaf, even though he threw all these particular daggers Stevie's way many times before. and even though Stevie's publicist-crafted response was basically admitting that she got him fired, and worse for her yet, that she started plotting this revenge on him all the way back in 1968 and finally got to pull the trigger with Azoff's help in 2018. sounds like a sad life being wrapped up around plotting a revenge around the guy who enabled your success for so many decades.
You’re right. And it isn’t going to sell more records either. I predict that. You can’t say some things. We know it’s true but other people do not.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:01 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You’re right. And it isn’t going to sell more records either. I predict that. You can’t say some things. We know it’s true but other people do not.
We'll see. Press attention of this magnitude plus the growing number of enthusiastic queer folk on twitter... You never know. It will be interesting to see which chart position the new album hits.

(I'm one of the queer folk.)

Last edited by GypsyVisions; 09-10-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Old 09-10-2021, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyVisions View Post
We'll see. Press attention of this magnitude plus the growing number of enthusiastic queer folk on twitter... You never know. It will be interesting to see which chart position the new album hits.

(I'm one of the queer folk.)
I'm not being flippant at all when I say this, but I am curious the connection to the queer community and LB...?
Old 09-10-2021, 08:28 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I'm not being flippant at all when I say this, but I am curious the connection to the queer community and LB...?

I shouldn’t generalize really, seeing as how Stevie has a loyal gay following and all. But there just seems to be a growing number of younger queer fans of Lindsey on Twitter. I follow a lot of them and enjoy their perspective (I’m 33 for the record, so I’m talking about the 20 something crowd.)
Old 09-11-2021, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I shouldn’t generalize really, seeing as how Stevie has a loyal gay following and all. But there just seems to be a growing number of younger queer fans of Lindsey on Twitter. I follow a lot of them and enjoy their perspective (I’m 33 for the record, so I’m talking about the 20 something crowd.)
Hmmm. Good to know.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
thanks for that explanation!

someday you'll be as old as some of us on this board and you will chuckle at thinking you are not young at 33 ; ) And I don't mean that in a snarky way at all.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:22 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
thanks for that explanation!

someday you'll be as old as some of us on this board and you will chuckle at thinking you are not young at 33 ; ) And I don't mean that in a snarky way at all.
You're welcome! And...haha...I do know I'm young, but these kids today really seem to think anyone over 25 is ancient. We know it isn't true. But they don't!
Old 09-13-2021, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://dothaneagle.com/community/jc...e82169626.html

MUSIC

— Self-titled albums are important milestones and Lindsey Buckingham is releasing one on Friday at age 71. It's the former Fleetwood Mac singer and guitarist's first solo release since 2011's "Seeds We Sow" and his seventh solo studio collection. "Lindsey Buckingham" was finished nearly four years ago and has as its singles, "I Don't Mind,""Scream" and "On the Wrong Side." Lately, Buckingham has been appearing on other artists' work, including The Killers' "Imploding the Mirage" and Halsey's "If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power."

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"