User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
When talking about his relationship with stevie in the early days prior to FM he kinda weaved and bobbed around specifics but talked abut they had some problems even then and there were some......and then he did a few long pauses...... before saying there were some "disappointments" in the relationship but then they got back together anyway and clearly he was referencing her stepping out on him with other people.
You pulled out a lot of the moments that stuck with me, too, including this one. I guess it’s just as likely Lindsey was the one responsible for the disappointments, right? Or maybe most likely of all, they were cheating on each other in a sort of retaliatory spiral. And “packin’ up/shack in’ up’s all you wanna do”… was Stevie disappointed in his lack of commitment?

Another part that stuck with me was Lindsey saying he needed to be the band’s musical leader - that was what he realized in the early days, and then he referenced making Christine change the bridge of “Over My Head.” I think his fatal flaw is that he’s continued to see himself that way. At some point (probably after Tusk) he needed to experiment with the idea that he didn’t have all the answers, and invite the women in the band to inform his work as much as he was informing theirs. The fact that he’s never done that (so far as I can tell) has created an icky and very retro gender imbalance.

I kind of love and hate Maron’s interview style. He does interrupt a lot, but it keeps the subject a little off balance - and therefore off script.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
You pulled out a lot of the moments that stuck with me, too, including this one. I guess it’s just as likely Lindsey was the one responsible for the disappointments, right? Or maybe most likely of all, they were cheating on each other in a sort of retaliatory spiral. And “packin’ up/shack in’ up’s all you wanna do”… was Stevie disappointed in his lack of commitment?

Another part that stuck with me was Lindsey saying he needed to be the band’s musical leader - that was what he realized in the early days, and then he referenced making Christine change the bridge of “Over My Head.” I think his fatal flaw is that he’s continued to see himself that way. At some point (probably after Tusk) he needed to experiment with the idea that he didn’t have all the answers, and invite the women in the band to inform his work as much as he was informing theirs. The fact that he’s never done that (so far as I can tell) has created an icky and very retro gender imbalance.

I kind of love and hate Maron’s interview style. He does interrupt a lot, but it keeps the subject a little off balance - and therefore off script.
sure it's possible. I was referencing the fact that Stevie has stated that she cheated on Lindsey (and other partners). It came up in the context of being forgiven and 'taken back'.

I think he dominated, or tried to, the playing of EVERYONE in the band. He and John notoriously butted heads in the early years because Lindsey kept telling him what / how to play. John did not tolerate it.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Can't recall where, but Stevie said somehere that their relationship was on the rocks even so far back as when they joined FM.
It is mentioned in Mick's first book when he tells about the beggining of the Rumours recording sessions.

Stevie has also said that the relationship between her and Lindsey was already a bit rocky when they joined the band. As Stevie started to express herself more, as she became a star, things didn't get any better. These were the less-than-ideal conditions under which Fleetwood Mac began to record our next album. People who knew us were agog. After all, it isn't so unusual for a couple in a band to break up. But both couples? And me? It was ironic.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It is mentioned in Mick's first book when he tells about the beggining of the Rumours recording sessions.

Stevie has also said that the relationship between her and Lindsey was already a bit rocky when they joined the band. As Stevie started to express herself more, as she became a star, things didn't get any better. These were the less-than-ideal conditions under which Fleetwood Mac began to record our next album. People who knew us were agog. After all, it isn't so unusual for a couple in a band to break up. But both couples? And me? It was ironic.
she also talked about it in interviews early in her solo career. during interviews for bella donna she said the two of them were breaking up when they joined the band, but couldn't;t do both at the same time, it was too much upheaval. So they stayed together for another year. She stated a lot started going well for them during that year which made it easier-- the first FM album was selling well, they were touring, starting to get their songs on the radio, they were making good money and all that, so they were in a happier place. But then they realized (or she did) that having all that success didn't make the issues in the relationship go away or any better and so they split up.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

part / most of the interview posted on Marc Maron's youtube channel -

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-02-2021, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Can't recall where, but Stevie said somehere that their relationship was on the rocks even so far back as when they joined FM.
She says that their relationship was really rocky as they joined FM in the BBC documentary…Don’t Stop.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What's really annoying is Maron used to let people talk or let there be pauses. That was what made him different. This interview was the complete opposite. It was also really clear that he only scratched the surface when doing his pre-interview research. No, he didn't leave after Tusk..WTH!?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
What's really annoying is Maron used to let people talk or let there be pauses. That was what made him different. This interview was the complete opposite. It was also really clear that he only scratched the surface when doing his pre-interview research. No, he didn't leave after Tusk..WTH!?
And he was quick to slam the Welch era without really giving it a listen. He said Christine was "amazing" or a similar word. However, had he listened to some of her material on those albums, he might have been educated a bit more.

Was a bit sad to hear Lindsey slam the Welch era. He talks about sales not being there. They sold enough to be a going concern. I'd rather make $100K a year in 1973 than $0. Plus, that music is really good. Christine, John and Mick don't get a lot of credit for how good of musicians they are as a trio together to keep that sound and style. It's a common thread.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
And he was quick to slam the Welch era without really giving it a listen. He said Christine was "amazing" or a similar word. However, had he listened to some of her material on those albums, he might have been educated a bit more.

Was a bit sad to hear Lindsey slam the Welch era. He talks about sales not being there. They sold enough to be a going concern. I'd rather make $100K a year in 1973 than $0. Plus, that music is really good. Christine, John and Mick don't get a lot of credit for how good of musicians they are as a trio together to keep that sound and style. It's a common thread.
yes I was disappointed he wasn't supportive at all really of Bob.

And kind of ironic that he uses sales as a metric for the success (or lack thereof) of the Welch era (which he's done a lot over the years) when he then claims he doesn't see sales as the metric of artistic success.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
she also talked about it in interviews early in her solo career. during interviews for bella donna she said the two of them were breaking up when they joined the band, but couldn't;t do both at the same time, it was too much upheaval. So they stayed together for another year. She stated a lot started going well for them during that year which made it easier-- the first FM album was selling well, they were touring, starting to get their songs on the radio, they were making good money and all that, so they were in a happier place. But then they realized (or she did) that having all that success didn't make the issues in the relationship go away or any better and so they split up.
Yep, she admitted to all that — was that the Denny Somach radio interviews? There is also the surprising little story she told about the origin of the song “Destiny” on the 1994 tour. First time we all heard it. She fell in love with somebody in the Bay Area while she and Lindsey were (at least geographically) separated, and she apparently very seriously considered staying with her new love for good. Something drove her back to LA and to Buckingham Nicks, at least musically. This was in 1973.

If you define “together” as really committed to each other and more or less in love, I don’t think Lindsey and Stevie were together very long — two or three years at most. This despite how the relationship has been framed in the public eye.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-03-2021, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I found this at Mick's book too:

At the time, she said something in a joking way about Lindsey being more interested in his guitar than he was in her, and she got tired of it and left. There was some conflict, I recall, about the "crackin' up, shackin' up" line in "Go Your Own Way," which Stevie felt was unfair and Lindsey felt strongly about.

Much later, Stevie made her perspective clear to me:
"Suppose Lindsey wasn't playing well on a particular song or something," she said. "As his girlfriend, I should be a comfort to him, right? You know: 'Who cares about it? You're great anyway!' I mean, that's what old ladies do for their men, right? But I couldn't, because I was also frustrated and saying, 'Look, if you could just get your guitar part tight, we could put the vocal on.' I'd be pissed off at him too. There was no way we could get any comfort from each other about what went on in the band. There was no love, because everybody was too nervous. And while we were traveling all the time, none of us had other friends to talk to...."
Old 08-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After listening to this interview I still think Lindsey is a pretty good guy despite all the things said about him. If you put it in perspective of those past years, there was a lot of drugs and alcohol at play. He still loves Mick despite his not having his back. And saying he wants Stevie to be happy. It is heart breaking

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 08-03-2021, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
After listening to this interview I still think Lindsey is a pretty good guy despite all the things said about him.
By things said about him, you mean the "abusing done by him" as Vanessa Carlton said?

I just think Mick or Christine would've demanded him fired had that been true.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I found this at Mick's book too:

At the time, she said something in a joking way about Lindsey being more interested in his guitar than he was in her, and she got tired of it and left. There was some conflict, I recall, about the "crackin' up, shackin' up" line in "Go Your Own Way," which Stevie felt was unfair and Lindsey felt strongly about.

Much later, Stevie made her perspective clear to me:
"Suppose Lindsey wasn't playing well on a particular song or something," she said. "As his girlfriend, I should be a comfort to him, right? You know: 'Who cares about it? You're great anyway!' I mean, that's what old ladies do for their men, right? But I couldn't, because I was also frustrated and saying, 'Look, if you could just get your guitar part tight, we could put the vocal on.' I'd be pissed off at him too. There was no way we could get any comfort from each other about what went on in the band. There was no love, because everybody was too nervous. And while we were traveling all the time, none of us had other friends to talk to...."

Ok well here's the accuracy and reliability of Mick's book--- that's a direct quote out of a published interview she did. Verbatim. His books, esp the 2nd one, are a whole lotta pulling quotes from other people's articles. (I think this was ripped out of a RS article, but maybe someone else has a better memory than me)

Oh, and that isn't the line in the song. Mick should be aware of the actual lyrics to a song they've been playing since 1977. And even if he's not, his ghostwriter should actually earn whatever they've been paid by checking really simple facts.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
After listening to this interview I still think Lindsey is a pretty good guy despite all the things said about him. If you put it in perspective of those past years, there was a lot of drugs and alcohol at play. He still loves Mick despite his not having his back. And saying he wants Stevie to be happy. It is heart breaking
Still considering Mick as a friend, yes that says a good thing about Lindsey. About Stevie, to me it's just a line. That doesn't necessarily imply he is a pretty good guy. I don't think he is a bad guy at all, my point is that it's just a line and I don't know if he really feels that. I wouldn't criticize him if he really doesn't want Stevie to be happy, or just don't give a damn, and said that just to be polite. Everyone wishes world peace.