Old 05-29-2022, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brad Jeffries nowadays

https://www.danceforyou-magazine.com...brad-jeffries/
Old 05-30-2022, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendaze5 View Post
Thank you so much for that link. Brad stole the show in Stand Back, and I always thought it was cool that he appeared in so many of Stevie’s videos afterwards. When he talked about how fortunate he was to survive the AIDS crisis, I got chills. He was a beautiful man in his prime, in a career surrounded by beautiful men, so it really is amazing he’s still with us. Interesting read.
Old 05-30-2022, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thank you so much for that link. Brad stole the show in Stand Back, and I always thought it was cool that he appeared in so many of Stevie’s videos afterwards. When he talked about how fortunate he was to survive the AIDS crisis, I got chills. He was a beautiful man in his prime, in a career surrounded by beautiful men, so it really is amazing he’s still with us. Interesting read.
Indeed!

Old 05-30-2022, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Greendaze5, thanks for that link- I’ve never seen that Solid Gold performance before. It’s kind of rare to see a live performance on SG. What really caught my eye was that guitar or bass player behind Stevie- such a babyface and he was really moving along to the music LOL. I couldn’t tell if he was joking around or really just having a good time, but I’d like to think he was sincerely enjoying himself. It looked like Waddy was laughing at him at one point. And Brad was looking good as usual! Fun performance.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Greendaze5, thanks for that link- I’ve never seen that Solid Gold performance before. It’s kind of rare to see a live performance on SG. What really caught my eye was that guitar or bass player behind Stevie- such a babyface and he was really moving along to the music LOL. I couldn’t tell if he was joking around or really just having a good time, but I’d like to think he was sincerely enjoying himself. It looked like Waddy was laughing at him at one point. And Brad was looking good as usual! Fun performance.
You're welcome!

The bass player is Bob Glaub, who can also be seen on Stevie's 'Bella Donna' tour.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The bass player is Bob Glaub.
It was nice of this crew to show up to do cheese, with no actual playing: Waddy, Bobbye Hall, Russ Kunkel, Billy Payne, and Bob Glaub. I guess Benmont, Professor Roy, and Wizard just could not face the cheese.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-30-2022, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It was nice of this crew to show up to do cheese, with no actual playing: Waddy, Bobbye Hall, Russ Kunkel, Billy Payne, and Bob Glaub. I guess Benmont, Professor Roy, and Wizard just could not face the cheese.
Interestingly, when Stevie did Stand Back and Nightbird on Saturday Night Live, all her musicians actually played - and I think Wyzard was there - as the show insists on totally live performances.

Ashlee Simpson famously thought otherwise as we all remember!

Old 06-11-2022, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I'm shocked that you never saw that before. Stevie is one of the few people ever to sing live on Solid Gold. I give her props for that but its probably because she is such a bad lip syncer which I am ok with.
Stevie also performed Nightbird Live on Solid Gold in early February 1984 (not 1983 as this video says). I remember watching both performances in real time. Ok here is a funny story about the Stand Back performance which was late 1984. They called it a "classic" and it was not to promote the song like Nightbird. It was Saturday and we lived near one of the largest shopping malls in the country and you could hang out all Saturday at the mall as a teen. I knew Stevie was on Solid Gold that night and wanted so much to stay home to watch it. I was in my peak cult worship days. But my friend's dad was going to the mall that Saturday night and taking all my friends. What was I going to do? Stay home and watch Stevie or miss out on the Saturday night mall experience. Then I had an idea. The mall has many stores that sell TVs. I could go to one of those stores and watch it there. Sure enough I found a way to sneak away from my "metal head" friends and go to Sears and turn on all the TVs in the electronic section to watch Stevie. I had the best of both worlds

Back to Brad.........he really has so many stories to tell with so many stars. My favorite was being at Stevie's house watching the Stand Back video music premier on MTV on a sofa between Prince and Stevie. OMG When I see that Solid Gold performance it brings me back standing there at Sears watching it on TV.

Have you seen the Solid Gold Nightbird? Nightbird hit its chart peak in early 1984 at #32 just as Got A Hold On Me was breaking on the charts. For one week, they were back to back...Nightbird at 32 and Got A Hold On Me at 31. This Nightbird performance was recorded just weeks after the late December 1983 SNL performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2ty18YFBQ

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-11-2022 at 06:15 AM..
Old 06-11-2022, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interestingly, when Stevie did Stand Back and Nightbird on Saturday Night Live, all her musicians actually played - and I think Wyzard was there - as the show insists on totally live performances.

Ashlee Simpson famously thought otherwise as we all remember!

The Wild Heart tour had ended so many of those musicians had other contracts and priority. Most important Roy who went back to Bruce to record Born In The USA.

Bob Glaub must have had prior commitments because he played the US Festival which almost was the kick off for the Wild Heart tour. Then Wyzard showed up. I always wondered where he went since Stevie used many of her 1981 solo musicians for 1983. Bob must have had a bigger pay day somewhere or under contract for another group. He almost made the cut for Journey. When Journey fired their bassist, Bob was brought in to play bass on their 1986 album "Raised on Radio". Journey also used Randy Jackson for bass on the album. When it came time for their big tour, Randy got the call and became an official member. I wonder if Bob cared because touring brings a big pay day.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-11-2022 at 06:24 AM..
Old 06-11-2022, 07:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I'm shocked that you never saw that before. Stevie is one of the few people ever to sing live on Solid Gold. I give her props for that but its probably because she is such a bad lip syncer which I am ok with.
Stevie also performed Nightbird Live on Solid Gold in early February 1984 (not 1983 as this video says). I remember watching both performances in real time. Ok here is a funny story about the Stand Back performance which was late 1984. They called it a "classic" and it was not to promote the song like Nightbird. It was Saturday and we lived near one of the largest shopping malls in the country and you could hang out all Saturday at the mall as a teen. I knew Stevie was on Solid Gold that night and wanted so much to stay home to watch it. I was in my peak cult worship days. But my friend's dad was going to the mall that Saturday night and taking all my friends. What was I going to do? Stay home and watch Stevie or miss out on the Saturday night mall experience. Then I had an idea. The mall has many stores that sell TVs. I could go to one of those stores and watch it there. Sure enough I found a way to sneak away from my "metal head" friends and go to Sears and turn on all the TVs in the electronic section to watch Stevie. I had the best of both worlds

Back to Brad.........he really has so many stories to tell with so many stars. My favorite was being at Stevie's house watching the Stand Back video music premier on MTV on a sofa between Prince and Stevie. OMG When I see that Solid Gold performance it brings me back standing there at Sears watching it on TV.

Have you seen the Solid Gold Nightbird? Nightbird hit its chart peak in early 1984 at #32 just as Got A Hold On Me was breaking on the charts. For one week, they were back to back...Nightbird at 32 and Got A Hold On Me at 31. This Nightbird performance was recorded just weeks after the late December 1983 SNL performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb2ty18YFBQ
Thanks for the link! Amazingly enough, I’ve seen the SNL performances of Stand Back and Nightbird, but not the Solid Gold ones. I say amazingly because SNL performances are extremely difficult to find on YouTube. I think I had avoided Solid Gold clips because I thought they were always lip synced. It’s so cool that Nightbird and Got a Hold on Me were back to back one week- got to be a first for FM. But Christine and Lindsey didn’t record as much as Stevie then so not many opportunities for that to happen.

Very clever how you were able to watch Stevie AND still go out that night to the mall. Try telling that story to a kid now LOL (“what’s Sears? What’s a mall? What’s Solid Gold?”)
Old 06-11-2022, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default More back to back

From Summer of ‘77
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C35D689C-45C4-4F85-9891-DC7795B6E3F0.jpg (96.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
From Summer of ‘77
Back to back, indeed! And that was a big jump for Don’t Stop.

Also funny to see Telephone Man and Telephone Line back to back just a few spaces above, as well.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another tid bit about 1984 is I think Lindsey and Christine were also in the top 40 together. I seem to recall Love Will Show Us How was dropping out of the Top 40 and Go Insane was entering it.

Chris performed "Love will show us how" and "I'm So Excited" on Solid Gold in 1984. Both are not live but Chris's band play these songs exactly like the album so its sad it was not done live.
Begins at 6:00 (Love will show us how)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ONDvEcvXWs

I'm So Excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpy3p5vpR0

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-11-2022 at 10:41 AM..
Old 06-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Another tid bit about 1984 is I think Lindsey and Christine were also in the top 40 together. I seem to recall Love Will Show Us How was dropping out of the Top 40 and Go Insane was entering it.

Chris performed "Love will show us how" and "I'm So Excited" on Solid Gold in 1984. Both are not live but Chris's band play these songs exactly like the album so its sad it was not done live.
Begins at 6:00 (Love will show us how)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ONDvEcvXWs

I'm So Excited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHpy3p5vpR0
Awesome, Macfan4life! I intended to only watch Christine “singing” her song, but I got sucked into watching the entire episode of Solid Gold. Seriously, wasn’t Marilyn McCoo the best? That episode alone had Christine, Cyndi Lauper, Alabama, and Rick James performing, plus a silly but honestly cute singalong to Billy Joel’s “For the Longest Time.” As cheesy as I remembered SG and the dancers, it actually was an entertaining show! I wish VH1 or some other network would air reruns. I remember Andy Gibb hosted it with Marilyn, as well as Rex Smith, and of course Dionne Warwick, whom I’ve read very unpleasant things about, including her time on Solid Gold. Let’s just say it was easy for the show to let her be the sole host- apparently, no one wanted to work alongside her. Anyway, good times!