Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Any Fans Of Toto?

I've become a huge fan within the past year. I've always been a fan of their most well-known material (Africa, Roseanna, Hold The Line, I Won't Hold You Back, I'll Be Over You) but I started delving deeper into the band's catalogue and have found songs that I really, really love. Takin' It Back has become one of my all-time favorite songs. Carmen, Angel Don't Cry and Endless from the Isolation album have also become among songs that I listen to on a regular basis.

Lately, I've been hooked on Lea. God what a song! It's such a well-written song but the vocals from Joseph Williams (who I've also become a huge fan of) and the closing vocal overlays are so beautiful.

I've always kind of questioned why Toto IV was so acclaimed because even though the band is recognized world-wide, they don't have the huge success outside of it. Listening to that album, I understand why because while the hit songs are so good, the other songs on the album are also fantastic. Waiting For Your Love is such a great song that a lot of people probably would expect when they think of Toto. The musicianship and production of Toto IV is absolutely top notch.

Toto also has some similarities to Fleetwood Mac with several lead singer changes throughout the years, the notion that while they're recognized as a great band, one album rightly or wrongly is put on a pedestal over others and in the past few years the Toto has had to go to court to fight for the band's name.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I am sort of a fan. They are like Fleetwood Mac in that they have a few classic rock hits like Hold The Line which get daily airplay on classic rock stations but much of their music is considered pop which does not get the same airplay.

I love 99. That is my favorite and the song has a very interesting meaning which makes me like it more

I hear and love Georgy Porgy on Sirius all the time. The female vocalist on that song is Cheryl Lynn who had the disco hit Got to Be Real. I like this song too.

Of course they are best known for Africa and Roseanne
Old 08-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a love affair with Toto IV.

But as a band, they never really had any faces or personalities about which to get excited. Just a bunch of studio musicians...
Old 08-22-2022, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I forgot the most obvious connection between Toto and Fleetwood Mac. Lenny Castro was/is essentially a member of Toto and of course he did several tours with Fleetwood Mac.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And it has in common the many changes of lineups. Toto came to Peru in 1996, as part of the Tambu tour. I think it wasn't their best moment, the lead singer was a woman (?). I didn't go to that concert but read it was kind of dissapointing, probably because the Tambu album was a major change of direction. In Wikipedia it says the Tambu tour was successful, though there weren't shows in North America. But hearing Hold the Line sang by a duet, men and woman, it wasn't the Toto that I used to see.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know that I must do what’s right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what’s deep inside, frightened of this thing that I’ve become

Thoughts?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-29-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I know that I must do what’s right
As sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti
I seek to cure what’s deep inside, frightened of this thing that I’ve become

Thoughts?
He has the desire to change and stand really really tall in Tanzania so folks in the Serengeti are able to see him. And it scares him if he's not able to find a cure.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
He has the desire to change and stand really really tall in Tanzania so folks in the Serengeti are able to see him. And it scares him if he's not able to find a cure.
That is a good way to put it, pal.

I wish we could talk about religion and politics here, but I don’t think we can. I had several interesting things to say about post-Exilic literature in the Midrash.

As for Toto, I just can’t get that adorable little terrier out of my mind’s eye. But my immediate concern is for the Witch of the East.

If the house landed on her, how is it that she was caught face up? Unless the force of the collision contorted her upper body completely around on her spinal axis (unlikely), wouldn’t a house coming from above, even at an angle and with inertia preserved, have struck her on the head first, pinning her more-or-less face down?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-11-2022, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

There are some similarities to the bands. Both had it big in 1982. Toto's 1981 album was more rock orientated/arena rock with less keyboards. It was not that successful. Like the Mac, their next 1982 release was focused on finding pop radio singles. It worked because I think Toto took home over 5 Grammy awards that year including album and song on the year. Toto's record company threatened to drop them if they did not produce a hit on their next album. Talk about pressure but it surely worked.
Jackson Browne also released a much more pop sound in 1982 compared to his earlier releases. I remember Cream magazine pointing out how the Mac was being flamed for going too light pop but pointed out other rockers were doing the same in 1982.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-11-2022 at 09:18 AM..
Old 01-22-2023, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just realized that David Hungate, the original bassist for Toto also plays on the Bekka & Billy album.