User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
You could tell after Mirage her skin and face appeared so much healthier. By the time Tango rolled around she looked fantastic.
She also sang a lot better live in 84 and 87-90 than she did in 82.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
She also sang a lot better live in 84 and 87-90 than she did in 82.
Oh wow, you're right. I do hear a cleaner voice. She sang so well at the 1984 show I attended. She was flawless.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
We know Mick was still doing coke well into the 90s. Stevie was out of rehab for cocaine in 1986. Christine said in an interview with, I think The Guardian, in 2013 that she stopped doing cocaine in 1984 during the recording of her solo album. Lindsey and John, I haven’t found any info, but we do know that Lindsey had a trailer set up in his yard during the recording of Tango so the other band members could go indulge in their vices. I can’t imagine this was only for Mick, so I would assume John and Christine may have partook in the cocaine at some point during Tango. I get the impression that Christine was just doing it for fun or like for old time sake to make a little joke out of it. John was probably doing it more with Mick. John was also a big drinker so he was probably still drinking a lot back then. Christine was still drinking a lot well into her post 1998 retirement because she said in her BBC documentary that she was drinking and fell and injured her hip or back and got hooked on painkillers for a while. So I’m sure she was still drinking during Tango too. She also said in an interview at one point during her 2014 come back that everyone in the band had quit drinking and this is the first time she’ll be performing without a drink.
Mmm... maybe she did it for a couple shows lol. I think they were trying to present an image where they had all put the naughty stuff behind them. and i think they really wanted to! But FWIW i heard on 2014 tour Stevie, Mick and LB were all quite straight, but J and C...occasionally struggled.

As anyone who knows me is aware, I adore John and Chris...but I do think sometimes they were both full of **** with regard to what they were saying publicly as opposed to what was really happening. Which i guess isn't really surprising. Over the years they would say in various interviews that they were all healthy and no more substances etc blah blah... but i think a lot of that was untrue, or maybe true if only for a brief while.

It's pretty common knowledge that John was/is 'an alcoholic.' He was constantly trying to get it under control but never quite succeeded... and i don't think he was the only one in that boat-- I'm not so sure Chris was not an alcoholic as well. Esp out on the road, where there was loneliness, and pressure to be good, and a desire to feel confident...even though they had the best of intentions...i think it was easy to slip back into bad habits.

--Lis
Old 03-11-2023, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw them in NJ, 2014. I chose one of the initial dates to see them in good shape and not tired (in 2009 I saw them in Dallas, the 27th show of the Unleashed tour and Stevie looked a bit tired).

I don't think any of them have been under the influence of any substance or alcohol. That is just my perception.

Also John looked noticeably skinny, I think he had just recovered from cancer, so he sure was taking great care of himself.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Mmm... maybe she did it for a couple shows lol. I think they were trying to present an image where they had all put the naughty stuff behind them. and i think they really wanted to! But FWIW i heard on 2014 tour Stevie, Mick and LB were all quite straight, but J and C...occasionally struggled.

As anyone who knows me is aware, I adore John and Chris...but I do think sometimes they were both full of **** with regard to what they were saying publicly as opposed to what was really happening. Which i guess isn't really surprising. Over the years they would say in various interviews that they were all healthy and no more substances etc blah blah... but i think a lot of that was untrue, or maybe true if only for a brief while.

It's pretty common knowledge that John was/is 'an alcoholic.' He was constantly trying to get it under control but never quite succeeded... and i don't think he was the only one in that boat-- I'm not so sure Chris was not an alcoholic as well. Esp out on the road, where there was loneliness, and pressure to be good, and a desire to feel confident...even though they had the best of intentions...i think it was easy to slip back into bad habits.

--Lis

I think this bit about Chris is what she alluded to when talking about her time at her house in Kent, especially after a few years and all the busyness of renovating etc was done. She always couched it in terms like "I got in a bit of trouble" etc... every so often she'd give a little more detail, like when she told how she'd fallen down some stairs in the house and injured herself because she'd been drinking whilst taking pain meds, which she called a "no-no". She was a bit more honest about that stuff in British interviews on radio and tv than in the US. It feels like maybe she felt her UK interviews wouldn't get as noticed or nitpicked by the US contingent ie Stevie and her handlers. (Though she found out with the 'we are done' comment that they were still listening, so she had to famously walk that back). And her seeking out a therapist can't have just been the fear of flying, because she'd been retired for multiple years and a lot of other stuff had happened, including the end of her marriage etc. She made it clear she eventually got bored out in the country.... and strongly hinted she was drinking far too much.

I think they have all lied a bit about their sobriety, in that I think they've been selective about what that means, and what substances it includes. They all seemed to have kicked coke finally (though I've never actually heard stories of Mick going to rehab, and he was clearly as hooked as Stevie if not even worse) but they seem to think that kicking coke means 'going clean'. Alcohol seems to get a pass for most (I find it curious Stevie's team after her first rehab were afraid she'd turn to alcohol - not a bad assumption as addicts often switch from one addiction to another -- and that that was why they had her see a therapist. Yet she herself was so sure her drinking wasn't a problem). And none of them thinks smoking pot is taking drugs... Stevie was clearly smoking in the DR doc and has mentioned it helps her be creative in some interviews in recent years. LB must still smoke but presumably not as much as before.... I'd bet money John and Mick still smoke it... not sure if it was Chris's thing. Mick I'm betting kept on drinking as well... when Bekka mentioned him puking in buckets I immediately thought of the famous "Steve" video where Mick got sick halfway thru a show and his drum tech Steve came out and played GYOW so they could wrap up the set. They said he was backstage throwing up....

I never take anything any of them say at face value....PR and all that..

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 03-11-2023 at 02:28 PM..
Old 03-11-2023, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think this bit about Chris is what she alluded to when talking about her time at her house in Kent, especially after a few years and all the busyness of renovating etc was done. She always couched it in terms like "I got in a bit of trouble" etc... every so often she'd give a little more detail, like when she told how she'd fallen down some stairs in the house and injured herself because she'd been drinking whilst taking pain meds, which she called a "no-no". She was a bit more honest about that stuff in British interviews on radio and tv than in the US. It feels like maybe she felt her UK interviews wouldn't get as noticed or nitpicked by the US contingent ie Stevie and her handlers. (Though she found out with the 'we are done' comment that they were still listening, so she had to famously walk that back). And her seeking out a therapist can't have just been the fear of flying, because she'd been retired for multiple years and a lot of other stuff had happened, including the end of her marriage etc. She made it clear she eventually got bored out in the country.... and strongly hinted she was drinking far too much.

I think they have all lied a bit about their sobriety, in that I think they've been selective about what that means, and what substances it includes. They all seemed to have kicked coke finally (though I've never actually heard stories of Mick going to rehab, and he was clearly as hooked as Stevie if not even worse) but they seem to think that kicking coke means 'going clean'. Alcohol seems to get a pass for most (I find it curious Stevie's team after her first rehab were afraid she'd turn to alcohol - not a bad assumption as addicts often switch from one addiction to another -- and that that was why they had her see a therapist. Yet she herself was so sure her drinking wasn't a problem). And none of them thinks smoking pot is taking drugs... she was clearly smoking in the DR doc and has mentioned it helps her be creative in some interviews in recent years. LB must still smoke but presumably not as much as before.... I'd bet money John and Mick still smoke it... not sure if it was Chris's thing. Mick I'm betting kept on drinking as well... when Bekka mentioned him puking in buckets I immediately thought of the famous "Steve" video where Mick got sick halfway thru a show and his drum tech Steve came out and played GYOW so they could wrap up the set. They said he was backstage throwing up....

I never take anything any of them say at face value....PR and all that..
Yep, I agree w/ all of the above. I do think Chris was more honest in the UK interviews. esp as she got older, it seemed she would just say whatever came out of her mouth lol.

I've heard they all used pot occasionally on later tours. i don't think they really saw it as a drug.

i also think after sooo many years of using alcohol on the road, that the British members especially had a much harder time *not* continuing to use it, and maybe they fed off each other in that regard. If mick is sitting there having a drink, you don't think john and chris wouldn't wanna have a glass of something in their hands, too? lol i think that's a given.

and i agree with how you said they were 'selective' in what being sober meant and what substances were included. maybe they weren't doing long lines of coke every day and night....but that didn't mean they weren't drinking a little something before and after shows... and maybe a little toot now and then. it's like everything was relative to what they'd done before, which was off the charts insane.

--Lis