The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 07-04-2022, 05:07 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 5,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I recall a review of the album at the time that called it a "music box" of sounds and I always thought that was a good way to put it... Metaphorically it is sort of a wind- up music box with lots of tinkly and plinky sorts of sounds and as you say, a bubbliness and cheeriness, even if lyrically some of the songs weren't as cheery (Gypsy is actually a bit dark, but the arrangement is most definitely not).
Oh, yesówasnít that the review in Rolling Stone? Itís an apt metaphor.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 4,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I recall a review of the album at the time that called it a "music box" of sounds and I always thought that was a good way to put it... Metaphorically it is sort of a wind- up music box with lots of tinkly and plinky sorts of sounds and as you say, a bubbliness and cheeriness, even if lyrically some of the songs weren't as cheery (Gypsy is actually a bit dark, but the arrangement is most definitely not).
Yes, the Rolling Stone review which was meh but a little positive but not overwhelming. I don't think they meant Music Box as a compliment. The review did end on a positive note that Mirage was an album you want to sit down to dinner with a bottle of wine with. Great for romance I guess
Mirage did not get great reviews and was shunned by rock stations. It was not the bounce back from Tusk the rock stations hoped for.
I love that everyone loves Mirage but I like diverse opinions. I remember when I first joined this board that Mirage was as popular as SYW I don't know if those people left or people changed their minds.
Is there anyone that does not like Mirage? I love it but I wish the Mirage cut Smile At You was on the album. Its so powerful and awesome but maybe it did not fit the "music box" theme. I find the term music box insulting because it takes away from the creativity. A music box is light elevator music that is programmed and not daring. Thats how I saw the Rolling Stone review. They were right in some ways. I think Chris even mentioned that maybe they were too cautious with Mirage because of how Tusk got flamed. But the songs are good and everyone was still writing brilliant songs at this time especially Stevie.
__________________
Christine on Stevie 1984: "10 years ago she really had her feet on the ground but she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which Iím not part of. We donít socialize much."

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-04-2022 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-05-2022, 03:35 PM
moon's Avatar
moon moon is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Argentina
Posts: 582
Default

I really agree and love your comments!
In fact, the original Smile At You would have sounded great! But I guess they decided to include Straight Back as the "rock" song.
Reading this, I'm totally convinced that Oh Diane would receive more love if the band included the instrumental version on the final album!
Aaaaand, and, and I ask myself, what could happened if Teen Beat or Blue Monday were included too, replacing Empire State?? Would be Empire State a loved song today in character of a "rare" one?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 AM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14,615
Default

https://www.loudersound.com/features...R1_LFnrrIL7KTs
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-12-2022, 11:53 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 4,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Thanks for posting. That was the best 40th Mirage anniversary article yet. Her take on Mirage is understandable. They are great songs but so commercial. Rumours was not trying to be commercial. Its that organic feel that makes songs great.

This is the second admission that Chris says she quit drugs around then. However here she says she was not on drugs during Mirage. The other interview I heard many years ago she said after the Mirage tour and during her solo album is when she stopped doing cocaine. It sounds like Chris loves making albums because as miserable as Tango was for the other band members, Chris loved it. I have heard Mirage stories of not so much fun. There was no air conditioning and too many drugs and Bella Donna was staring Lindsey in the face. They never even appear together in the Hold Me video which shows they were not getting along that well. Yet chummy Christine yet again talks about how much fun making Mirage was. Just interesting. I remember the People magazine article about Dennis's death and it showed the heart design in Christine's garden. Its so weird she hated it. Yet she loved him when he did crazy stuff. Just odd.
I always got the impression Stevie was not happy recording Mirage either. It interrupted her solo album tour and the lyrics of Straight Back.
Loved the Chris interview!!!!!
__________________
Christine on Stevie 1984: "10 years ago she really had her feet on the ground but she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which Iím not part of. We donít socialize much."

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-12-2022 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-12-2022, 09:21 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember the People magazine article about Dennis's death and it showed the heart design in Christine's garden. Its so weird she hated it.
That's because HE HAD THE FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BILL FOR IT SENT TO HER!!!!

His GIFT to her was billed to her!!!!!! What a LOSER.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-13-2022, 04:18 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 4,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's because HE HAD THE FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BILL FOR IT SENT TO HER!!!!

His GIFT to her was billed to her!!!!!! What a LOSER.
Its the thought that counts


He was a total nutcase. Many women flock to these guys. I found it chilling where she said the real Dennis was sweet but you rarely saw that side. So basically he's an ass**** 95% of the time.
__________________
Christine on Stevie 1984: "10 years ago she really had her feet on the ground but she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which Iím not part of. We donít socialize much."
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its the thought that counts


He was a total nutcase. Many women flock to these guys. I found it chilling where she said the real Dennis was sweet but you rarely saw that side. So basically he's an ass**** 95% of the time.
I must be related to her, because that's what all the women in my family do. They don't want some good Christian boy. They want a bad boy that treats them like sh*t. Because I guess that makes them "so excited".
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Music Through Heartsongs Songs Based Poems Mattie JT Stepanek by Billy Gilman CD picture

Music Through Heartsongs Songs Based Poems Mattie JT Stepanek by Billy Gilman CD

$5.39



This I Gotta See picture

This I Gotta See

$5.99



 It Won't Be Christmas Without You by Brooks & Dunn (CD, Oct-2002, Arista) picture

It Won't Be Christmas Without You by Brooks & Dunn (CD, Oct-2002, Arista)

$4.58



John Oates - Mississippi Mile CD Mike Henderson, Bekka Bramlett, Sam Bush picture

John Oates - Mississippi Mile CD Mike Henderson, Bekka Bramlett, Sam Bush

$7.55



Michael Peterson  - Being Human (CD, Aug-1999, Warner Bros.) PROMO SEALED picture

Michael Peterson - Being Human (CD, Aug-1999, Warner Bros.) PROMO SEALED

$18.49




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved