User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
No. Do Americans feel US civilisation is threatened by the constant mass shootings and general gun crime that seems to occur on a daily basis over there? I feel much, much, much safer here.
The overwhelming majority of gun crime in the US comes from people acquiring weapons illegally. On top of that, the sad truth is a huge percentage of the crimes are minorities killing each other in areas that the majority of America will never step foot in. Literally minutes before I checked the ledge, I see another attempted suicide bombing in Brussels happened. These attacks are happening in regular areas that you could easily be in like subway stations and airports. It's much different than the gun violence here that's happening in some ghetto corner of America. Guess which European country has not had a single Muslim terrors attack? Poland. Guess how many refugees they've let in? Zero. It's so pathetic to see this happening and have people like you basically normalizing it. Terror is not "part of living in a big city". It's not hard to find out why this is happening.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't you dare accuse me of normalising it. There is nothing at all normal with terrorism. It is deeply saddening and disgusting that it happens. You asked what people in the UK and France think and feel and my honest response is I think I feel safer in the UK than if I lived in the states. Gun crime is at ridiculous levels in the US. More people are shot dead by your police in one month than all the people shot dead by British police... ever. More people were killed in a single nightclub attack than in all terror attacks in the UK in the last 10 years combined. This is not, on the whole an unsafe place to be compared to your country.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 PM

Great debate is fine guys/gals... but, let's keep it civil and attack the issues.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Great debate is fine guys/gals... but, let's keep it civil and attack the issues.
Thank you!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I believe it's much more complex than extremist terrorism only being a product of immigration. Many of the attackers have been born ​and brought up in the country of the attack, but have been radicalised by dangerous extremist ideology. The last attack here was by a white extreme racist, who probably had mental health problems. Another attack was by a man of a mixed race/African descent who had converted to radical Islam. Mental health and social problems play a huge role in what's happening over here.

Also I don't think the Brexit vote and recent elections have helped, as it's divided the country even more and lead to more hate crime. The internet is also a huge problem when it comes to radicalisation. And then you have the age old issues of the wars in the middle east and the involvement of West leading to resentments building up, and the messed up ideology of radical Islam and ISIS.

I really don't think these attacks will stop if you shut the borders. I don't believe it's the answer and could make the situation worse by breeding more hatred and intolerance. We need to get to the roots of the problems of radicalisation, social issues in our own countries and the relationships Western countries have with those in the Middle East.

Just my opinion and I don't want to get involved in any arguments
Old 06-21-2017, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And as for the suggestion that mass immigration of Muslims is the problem - I don't believe there is mass immigration of Muslims - I'd have to see the figures. And very importantly Islam is a peaceful religion - and a completely different thing to radical extremist Islam.

Hate and intolerance breeds more hate and violence...

edit.. just spotted an article that discusses these issues for anyone interested

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...terror-attacks

Last edited by MoonSister75; 06-21-2017 at 03:18 AM..
Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM
SisterNightroad
This message has been deleted by SisterNightroad.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Moonsister, a lot of the terror issues have been carried out by 2nd and 3rd generation Muslims...
Muslims make up only 5% of the UK population, hardly mass immigration.

A false view of the terror is held just as we probably have a false view of the gun problems in the US....it seems to us that a mass shooting occurs every other month and not in ghettos but schools and malls.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree sue, false views are easily perpetuated by the media. I just think the whole mix of terror events, Western-middle east conflict, extreme Islam and hate crime is so ​complex, the answer doesn't lie in just putting a stop to immigration of one group.

On a lighter note. I know we are not all fans of Jeremy Corbyn in this thread, and not in agreement about whether he is a "star" but I just wanted to share these wonderful Glastonbury photos. Apparently he drew a bigger crowd than the Rolling Stones when they played a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/ga...17-in-pictures
Old 06-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I agree sue, false views are easily perpetuated by the media. I just think the whole mix of terror events, Western-middle east conflict, extreme Islam and hate crime is so ​complex, the answer doesn't lie in just putting a stop to immigration of one group.

On a lighter note. I know we are not all fans of Jeremy Corbyn in this thread, and not in agreement about whether he is a "star" but I just wanted to share these wonderful Glastonbury photos. Apparently he drew a bigger crowd than the Rolling Stones when they played a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/ga...17-in-pictures
I haven't seen Jezza's clip yet, but I agree he is a star in the ascendancy.

Ps have just watched his clip....huge crowds

Last edited by sue; 06-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Forgotten to say something
Old 09-30-2017, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

USA.
Your great leader is a complete and utter tosser!
Sorry, but his latest dickish tweets make me so angry.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another mass shooting.

I don't understand why you don't just ban guns.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Another mass shooting.

And a criminal is going to abide by this because...?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post

Can we ban mental illness?
Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Donald 'Moron' Trump has conflated rising UK crime rates with Islamic terrorism. Though we cannot be proud of rising crime rates there are absolutely no grounds for blaming Muslims. This Islamophobic tw*t is a complete embarrassment. The guy has an IQ of a child and an EQ of a house brick.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Donald 'Moron' Trump has conflated rising UK crime rates with Islamic terrorism. Though we cannot be proud of rising crime rates there are absolutely no grounds for blaming Muslims. This Islamophobic tw*t is a complete embarrassment. The guy has an IQ of a child and an EQ of a house brick.
I think you have to take Trump with a pinch (spadeful) of salt....
He is sort of funny ...if he wasnt President,
Who governs by Tweet for Gods sake.?
However he was democratically elected, and we have to respect our American friends choice of President...dont we?