Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2022, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://1430wcmy.com/2022/04/20/chri...f-title-track/

Christine McVie to release solo compilation, ‘Songbird,’ in June, featuring orchestral version of title track
By Matt Friedlander
Apr 20, 2022 | 10:30 AM

Rhino
Last month, Christine McVie revealed in a BBC Radio interview that she had plans to release a new solo album called Songbird that will include a reworked version of her popular Fleetwood Mac ballad of the same name. Now full details of the project have been announced.

The album, Songbird (A Solo Collection), is due out June 24, and is a 10-track compilation made up mostly of previously released tunes songs from two of McVie’s solo albums — her 1984 self-titled effort and 2004’s In the Meantime. All of the tracks have been remastered by famed producer Glyn Johns.

The record also boasts three previously unreleased recordings, including an updated, orchestral version of Fleetwood Mac’s “Songbird” that pairs Christine’s original vocals with a new string arrangement created by Grammy-winning composer and arranger Vince Mendoza.

The other two previously unreleased tracks are “Slowdown,” a song Christine wrote for the 1985 film American Flyers, and “All You Gotta Do,” a duet that McVie recorded with singer/bassist George Hawkins during the In the Meantime sessions. The latter tune wasn’t completed at the time, and Glyn finished the track by adding Ricky Peterson on Hammond organ and Ethan Johns on drums and guitar.

“Slowdown” has been released as an advance digital single.

Songbird includes two interesting songs from the 1984 Christine McVie album. “The Challenge” features backing vocals from Lindsey Buckingham and lead guitar by Eric Clapton. The other song, “Ask Anybody,” was co-written by Christine and Steve Winwood, who contributed backing vocals and piano to the tune.

Songbird can be pre-ordered now, and will issued on CD, on vinyl and digitally. A limited-edition sea-foam green vinyl LP will be available exclusively from Rhino.com.

Here’s the full Songbird (A Solo Collection) track list:

“Friend”
“Sweet Revenge”
“The Challenge”
“Northern Star”
“Ask Anybody”
“Slowdown”*
“Easy Come, Easy Go”
“Giving It Back”
“All You Gotta Do”*
“Songbird” (Orchestral Version)*

* = previously unreleased.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-21-2022, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
That's an understatement. And I think she said, "Premise".
Yes. That's it.

Either way...

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-22-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yes. That's it.

Either way...

This feels like another, "you have to do this, the contract says if you ever come back.... "
Old 04-22-2022, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

More than a simple compilation, I'd love to get an outtakes, demos, alternative versions album. The FM deluxe albums were very interesting with those.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default How Christine decided which tracks to include

Manager:
"The challenge is to fulfil a contractual obligation? Slow down, songbird! Giving it back is easy come easy go. Ask anybody! All you gotta do is issue old stuff remastered and repackaged."

Christine:
"Songs like Northern Star?"

Manager:
"Exactly, my friend. Think of it as sweet revenge!"
Old 04-22-2022, 07:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm surprised Too Much Is Not Enough didn't make an appearance, that song was finished and left off the 1984 album right?

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 04-23-2022, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Manager:
"The challenge is to fulfil a contractual obligation? Slow down, songbird! Giving it back is easy come easy go. Ask anybody! All you gotta do is issue old stuff remastered and repackaged."

Christine:
"Songs like Northern Star?"

Manager:
"Exactly, my friend. Think of it as sweet revenge!"
In that conversation, there was no room for Forgiveness.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Would this not have been the perfect opportunity to have included "Cant Help Falling In Love" Its such a little known Chris solo song that you cant really even get on CD. A remaster would have fit on this album.
Songbird orchestra....get that.....The Challenge....Eric Clapton....get that.....Friend....single from ITM....get that......everything else seems like a random spin of the wheel
Old 04-24-2022, 05:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
In that conversation, there was no room for Forgiveness.

Because it wasn't just the usual collection of hits, I feel like there must be at least one diehard Christine McVie fan out there in the universe/metaverse for whom this track list is the absolute best tracklist possible. It must feel like Christ(ine)mas for them. That notion makes me happy. I also feel that perhaps Christine had a big say in the track selection

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 04-24-2022 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: Garnished with a pun
Old 04-24-2022, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Would this not have been the perfect opportunity to have included "Cant Help Falling In Love" Its such a little known Chris solo song that you cant really even get on CD. A remaster would have fit on this album.
Songbird orchestra....get that.....The Challenge....Eric Clapton....get that.....Friend....single from ITM....get that......everything else seems like a random spin of the wheel
Ask Anybody is heavily Steve Winwood, so perhaps not too random as far as your suggested criteria.

Allow me to be so sincere... I can't stand that cover of Falling in Love. Not that I've heard it in a long while. Not that I plan too, either!

By the way I really like Sweet Revenge.
For me the the weakest track on is Giving It Blah.
Old 04-24-2022, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ask Anybody is heavily Steve Winwood, so perhaps not too random as far as your suggested criteria.

Allow me to be so sincere... I can't stand that cover of Falling in Love. Not that I've heard it in a long while. Not that I plan too, either!

I'm inclined to agree re: Can't Help Falling In Love. It's pleasant but...underwhelming.

Where this collection baffles me is the omission of songs like "Anything Is Possible," "One in a Million," and "Smile I Live For" whereas a tune like "Easy Come, Easy Go" is considered by most fans to be a throwaway. What are the reasons for some of the more glaring omissions? I can't imagine "Anything Is Possible" is unavailable while "Friend" is.

I do disagree about "Giving It Back," which is, in my humble opinion, the most Fleetwood Mac tune of the first decade of the 2000s. It moves along in this easy, irresistible way, lovely harmonies, a good lead vocal, and fantastic bass work from Hawkins.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Where this collection baffles me is the omission of songs like "Anything Is Possible," "One in a Million," and "Smile I Live For" whereas a tune like "Easy Come, Easy Go" is considered by most fans to be a throwaway. What are the reasons for some of the more glaring omissions? I can't imagine "Anything Is Possible" is unavailable while "Friend" is.
Just goes to show how fans have different favorites- all three songs you mention are my least favorite on that album.

But I’m in complete agreement with virtually everyone here about the song list on the upcoming cd. I’m confused, surprised, and curious as to how these particular songs were chosen, and why. At first I thought we were going to get a sort of greatest hits package, with some songs having newly recorded vocals and others with just an orchestra worked in. Songs like Songbird obviously, but also a few early FM classics like Warm Ways, Over and Over, Brown Eyes, etc, and then the same with her solo songs, including a few of her singles.

What we’re getting is pretty dang audacious- I don’t know whether to be disappointed or impressed!
Old 04-24-2022, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I dont care for the cover either. When I heard she did an Elvis cover, I was excited. I cant put my finger on why I dont like it but its cold and underwhelming. I was speaking not as my favorite song but an great opportunity as a re-release of a song that few heard. That's all. I think it would have fit better than some others. I dont dislike Sweet Revenge, I just think there are better choices from ITM.
When Stevie did Enchanted, the third disc really put those great soundtrack songs that were hard to get on CD. I think it just was a missed opportunity even though I am not crazy about the song.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Just goes to show how fans have different favorites- all three songs you mention are my least favorite on that album.

But I’m in complete agreement with virtually everyone here about the song list on the upcoming cd. I’m confused, surprised, and curious as to how these particular songs were chosen, and why. At first I thought we were going to get a sort of greatest hits package, with some songs having newly recorded vocals and others with just an orchestra worked in. Songs like Songbird obviously, but also a few early FM classics like Warm Ways, Over and Over, Brown Eyes, etc, and then the same with her solo songs, including a few of her singles.

What we’re getting is pretty dang audacious- I don’t know whether to be disappointed or impressed!
Ok its bad enough you dont like Oh Daddy on the Rumours board but not liking One In A Million and The Smile I live for on the Christine McVie board is a bridge too far. I vote for a 3 day ban.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Ok its bad enough you dont like Oh Daddy on the Rumours board but not liking One In A Million and The Smile I live for on the Christine McVie board is a bridge too far. I vote for a 3 day ban.
Shoot! And I just got back from my last 3 day ban!