User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Kind of Woman

I think one of the best and most overlooked songs of Stevie's solo career is Kind of Woman. Its brilliant and such a good choice for second song coming after epic Bella Donna. Its sung with such passion and authenticity. I love how she finds the parts to really emphasize her voice throughout the song. Love the acoustic guitar, the electric guitar solo and the haunting piano which is sort of close to the demo.
I say its over looked because she has never done it live even during Bella Donna tour. I have never even heard rumors of her even practicing the song for a possible live show. On Enchanted she almost put most of Bella Donna songs on he box set except this one. She should have done it during the 24k Gold tour. Its so good you can feel her jealousy at Lindsey going on the road without her thinking she was cheating on her. And good grief who would have guessed 40 years later Stevie is the woman that will haunt Lindsey. Total premonition on her part. Better yet Christine should have sung it at Lindsey during the BuckVie tour. On another note besides Homer does anyone think that Highwayman would be a fantastic encore during her heyday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxsr...&start_radio=1

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-08-2022 at 12:39 PM..
Old 04-08-2022, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool post. I love the lyrics of this song and the musical bridge where it goes into a major key (I think credited to Benmont Tench?).

I can see why it wouldn’t be an obvious live pick as it’s kind of slow - but if “Storms” and “Beautiful Child” work live (and IMO they do), this one could too.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think one of the best and most overlooked songs of Stevie's solo career is Kind of Woman. Its brilliant and such a good choice for second song coming after epic Bella Donna. Its sung with such passion and authenticity. I love how she finds the parts to really emphasize her voice throughout the song. Love the acoustic guitar, the electric guitar solo and the haunting piano which is sort of close to the demo.
I say its over looked because she has never done it live even during Bella Donna tour. I have never even heard rumors of her even practicing the song for a possible live show. On Enchanted she almost put most of Bella Donna songs on he box set except this one. She should have done it during the 24k Gold tour. Its so good you can feel her jealousy at Lindsey going on the road without her thinking she was cheating on her. And good grief who would have guessed 40 years later Stevie is the woman that will haunt Lindsey. Total premonition on her part. Better yet Christine should have sung it at Lindsey during the BuckVie tour. On another note besides Homer does anyone think that Highwayman would be a fantastic encore during her heyday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxsr...&start_radio=1
Nearly every time I sit down at a piano, I play KOW. That intro lick is beautiful, sounds like a classical piano piece. I love it.

And probably not. I seem to be the only person who loves The Highwayman. Don Felder on guitar! It would make a great closing song.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Nearly every time I sit down at a piano, I play KOW. That intro lick is beautiful, sounds like a classical piano piece. I love it.

And probably not. I seem to be the only person who loves The Highwayman. Don Felder on guitar! It would make a great closing song.
The song just builds and builds. The piano sounds like it is competing with the acoustic guitar. The first verse has no percussion. Then the second verse and drumming starts and then after chorus we get a fantastic guitar solo and it all comes together for a wonderful bridge. Its just a brilliant production. Notice the only backing vocals is a little ooos here and there. Its all Stevie and she knows when to throw her voice.

I just can picture an arena full of lighters in the 80s for a closing encore The Highwayman. Its an optimistic song for a closer too.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-08-2022 at 04:31 PM..
Old 04-08-2022, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kind of Woman has always been my favorite track from Bella Donna. Its one of Stevie’s best vocals from that era. I think this is a song she could pull off with her current voice/range.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love both songs. I find myself listening to the demos of them more often than the studio versions. The KOW piano demo is just hauntingly beautiful. And the Highwayman demo she does with Don where she hits those high notes on “and she wonders” and “she the love”, it’s just absolutely gorgeous.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Both songs are fantastic and sung to perfection, pristine production and just begging to be performed live. Bella Donna to Kind of Woman is just brilliant sequencing and let's the listener know "you're in for a treat" and draws you in to this superb album. Kind of Woman is interesting in the way she wraps her voice around the lyrics and plays off the haunting instrumentation, it is indeed one of her best ever vocals. The Highwayman is lyrically amazing and is truly one of her best story telling songs- the demo is a tad better though with the aurally sweet high notes, still, the album version knocks it out of the park and is her best solo closer on any subsequent album. I don't think she could pull off either song today, last time was the Enchanted tour in '98 where she absolutely could've done them justice.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
The Highwayman is lyrically amazing and is truly one of her best story telling songs- the demo is a tad better though with the aurally sweet high notes, still, the album version knocks it out of the park and is her best solo closer on any subsequent album.
Does anyone know whether any country singers ever covered it? I might put it lyrically in one of Stevie’s top five: the metaphors make sense and the sentiment feels honest and relevant to relationships. “She Still Loves Him” might be a sequel or spiritual sister to it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-12-2022, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Does anyone know whether any country singers ever covered it? I might put it lyrically in one of Stevie’s top five: the metaphors make sense and the sentiment feels honest and relevant to relationships. “She Still Loves Him” might be a sequel or spiritual sister to it.
Good question. After The Glitter Fades has been done by country artists and was a staple of Melissa Etheridge early in her career. The Highwayman is sort of a sleeper song of Stevie's just like Kind of Woman. Both brilliant but get little love even from her fans. When people think of Bella Donna, its usually not these songs.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Good question. After The Glitter Fades has been done by country artists and was a staple of Melissa Etheridge early in her career. The Highwayman is sort of a sleeper song of Stevie's just like Kind of Woman. Both brilliant but get little love even from her fans. When people think of Bella Donna, its usually not these songs.
So I'm not people?

I love Bella Donna for what it is. It sounds like Hotel California(the album, not just the song) with an estrogen injection. I love ALL of it. Glitter and Highwayman are at the top of my list.

If there's ANY song that doesn't fit the rest of the batch, it's Edge Of Seventeen.