Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2022, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Timespace era

We all know the Timespace era was sort of messed up. Stevie's "best of" album got delayed because of the unexpected delay in the Fleetwood Mac Behind the Mask/Farewell tour. The band made up for months of postponed gigs because of Chris's father's passing. Stevie was brought songs to make her "hip and current" and she was not crazy about doing them. She toured prior to the album's release. Its hard to promote something that is not available yet. Stevie was in bad shape almost at her peak of tranquilizer addiction. Even her song Desert Angel written for the troops missed its release and the war was over by the time the album was released. The whole era sort of encompasses her life at that time......sort of unorganized. 1991 was a recession year and not many were going to concerts. I saw the Whole Lotta Trouble show in Pittsburgh and she had only about 7,500 in attendance. Her 1989 OSOTM tour had almost twice the crowd.
Having said that, there are some definite highlights of this era. Even though Stevie was probably in poor physical health with tranquilizer addiction, she sounded really good. Her tour, while short, had some highlights. After several tours not performing If Anyone Falls, it made it back into the set. Her band was the best IMHO. I loved Mark from Heart as the bassist. Les Dudek is an incredible guitarist. She had 2 guitarists for the first time in her band it it rocked giving her songs so many edges they never had before. Songs like Talk To Me were really good and Stevie could still throw her voice around. The added sax to If Anyone Falls was unexpected and good. Stand Back had its first extended ending. The explosions during the beginning of Edge of 17 were a bit much but.....ok. Landslide was brought back into the set during the BTM tour. But Stevie continued to do it during this tour and it was an electric version. At the time the song performed live was new again but looking back and listening now, it seems cutting edge to perform the song with electric guitars. And her band brought in an acoustic guy while the other guitarists played electric. During the Timespace/Whole Lotta Trouble tour we got Les's electric guitar solo. During the Whiskey live broadcast we got the keyboard solo in Landslide. I just love it. She rocked the house down during her Live at the Whiskey show that was broadcast in 1991. I remember seeing Stevie with Rhonda Shear on the UP ALL NIGHT shows on USA in the early 90s. Stevie mentioned how she just got off the road and missed it already. But this broadcast also features the only other live performance of Love's A Hard Game To Play. She does a great job. The most rocking version of SDMHA too.

Live at the Whiskey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqq2pBuoW_o

Stevie with Rhonda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9Kwuz-dj8

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-16-2022 at 06:29 AM..