Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool With my job...

unlike others, I had to work everyday through this mess (My usual schedule of 45+ hours a week) until COVID19 and the affects of the industry (Oil/Energy) lead to layoffs at my facility.

I have survived 3 rounds of layoffs since March (Including a LARGE round on my 50th birthday of May 12th), a round of rioters fighting with the Tulsa PD near work, a reduced work schedule to 32 hours a week/losing overtime and now this week a co-worker (In my building and in my department whom I work with daily) that tested positive for COVID19...

My wife Alisa & I haven't changed our routine due to COVID19...always been introverts, so avoiding crowds and such is nothing new to us. We only venture out to grocery shop and for work/medical visits (Having a follow-up scan on Friday for my headache issues - at least since my thyroid cancer surgery in December 2019 I fell MUCH better.)

However on the rare exception, COVID19 did screw up our plan to see Rammstein in San Antonio on Sept.16...

Peace out and blame Canada!!

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-02-2020, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bars and restaurants in Nashville were slowly reopening, but a huge spike in cases is forcing us back into phase 2 tomorrow. All bars closed for at least 2 weeks.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=estranged4life;1258676]unlike others, I had to work everyday through this mess (My usual schedule of 45+ hours a week) until COVID19 and the affects of the industry (Oil/Energy) lead to layoffs at my facility.

I have survived 3 rounds of layoffs since March (Including a LARGE round on my 50th birthday of May 12th), a round of rioters fighting with the Tulsa PD near work, a reduced work schedule to 32 hours a week/losing overtime and now this week a co-worker (In my building and in my department whom I work with daily) that tested positive for COVID19...

My wife Alisa & I haven't changed our routine due to COVID19...always been introverts, so avoiding crowds and such is nothing new to us. We only venture out to grocery shop and for work/medical visits (Having a follow-up scan on Friday for my headache issues - at least since my thyroid cancer surgery in December 2019 I fell MUCH better.)

However on the rare exception, COVID19 did screw up our plan to see Rammstein in San Antonio on Sept.16...

Why are you blaming us?🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦 Or are you joking?
Old 07-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why are you blaming us?🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦 Or are you joking?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't take offence- its just a South Park reference.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 07-04-2020, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation It's an old joke...

[QUOTE=lovethemac1;1258690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post

Why are you blaming us?🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦 Or are you joking?
from South Park...besides my family moved to Oklahoma from Quebec, lol!!!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I work in Infection Control Education and Sales. So, needless to say, my job exploded at the beginning of March. I worked 9 straight weeks without a day off. 14 of the 20 positions across the country, that are like me, were put on furlough. Which meant the 6 of us left over covered everyone else’s territories.
My husband was in rural France when there was the first rumblings of closing the borders and airports. His company got him up in the middle of the night, told him to get on a train to Paris and catch the first flight to Montreal. He made it home just as the flights were all being cancelled.
He self isolated at home for 2 weeks, then stayed and worked from home for another 6 weeks.
Our school spring break was scheduled for end of March, and needless to say, with that being shut down, it really helped with our COVID19 numbers. People were not traveling anywhere.
Also, our provinces population did a really good job at staying home, wearing masks and staying safe. We’ve only had 325 cases, and 7 deaths so far. We don’t have huge populations, and it helps that our large cities are relative islands. And the cities are very spread out, not stacked upwards like some big centers.
Our kids are all in university, all over Canada. They all moved home and continued with self isolating and courses online. All classes next year for the entire school year, from their universities, have moved to online. Except for one in Vet school who has to go back because of practical work. They will change the way that’s done in the coming year, limiting number of students and as always, mask wearing.
The students, if they didn’t have summer jobs that were continuing, they were eligible for CERB (Canadian Emergency Relief monthly payments). Anyone effected was elegible, no matter the age. It came very quickly, esp if you had already applied for unemployment insurance.
It’s been crazy, and quiet, all at the same time. The dogs are really fit and trim from all the walks.
Now, I’ve moved to our cottage and just work from there. It’s an island, so quite isolated. I feel the isolation now more than before. After 16 weeks, I appreciate more than ever though, the hard work that is going into 2020.