The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Howard Dean Whores Himself. Gore Grows Backbone.

I am sickened by Howard Dean's kowtowing to the Kerry campaing, this after Kerry and Gephardt colluded during the primaries to sink the then-frontrunner's candidacy. Dean went against the grain of the party establishment, for which he was severely punished. Had he not endured as many vicious, and false, attacks from fellow Democrats, things might have turned out differently. But he had no chance. John Kerry and his buddy, Terry McAuliffe, made sure that Dean would be done in. Operatives with close ties to McAuliffe and Kerry blasted Dean's campaign with negative ads that ultimately contributed to the campaign's demise.

Surely he knows this. Surely he knows that the DNC punished him for saying things like "Washington Democrats?"

So why in the world is he supporting Kerry so vehemently now? Why would he make a fool of himself with contradictions during a debate with Ralph Nader to try to persuade Nader to drop out? What kind of deal has been cut behind the scenes? Or is it simply a matter of learning the valuable lesson that if you go against the party, the party will squash you?

Lately, it seems the only one left with a backbone is, surprise, surprise, Al Gore, who by the way endorsed Dean early on, a move that sent the party establishment scurrying for revenge against Dean. Al, baby, had you shown us your stuff four years ago things might have turned out quite differently. What a shame.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
So why in the world is he supporting Kerry so vehemently now?
Because he wants the D's to win and he wants W out and he knows Kerry is the only shot of that happening Also, after his "Come to Jesus" speech on travel, he knows his chances of ever being a serious contender are for the most part non-existent even if he can bring much of his sizeable followers into Kerry's fold based on shared hatred of W.

Food for Thought

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-12-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Because he wants the D's to win and he wants W out and he knows Kerry is the only shot of that happening Also, after his "Come to Jesus" speech on travel, he knows his chances of ever being a serious contender are for the most part non-existent even if he can bring much of his sizeable followers into Kerry's fold based on shared hatred of W.

Food for Thought
I understand, Jason. I'm not as naive as my post my have implied. But I'm human, and I expect Dean is too, which is why I have to wonder. He could just as well just get the hell out of the limelight, stay quiet and make a behind-the-scenes push for getting some of his platform approved at the convention. No need to get out there so publicly and try to prop up one of the bastids who helped destroy him.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I understand, Jason. I'm not as naive as my post my have implied. But I'm human, and I expect Dean is too, which is why I have to wonder. He could just as well just get the hell out of the limelight, stay quiet and make a behind-the-scenes push for getting some of his platform approved at the convention. No need to get out there so publicly and try to prop up one of the bastids who helped destroy him.
LOL - naive is not a word I would use to describe you - myself maybe

I think Dean is just trying to get W out and maybe a little of his big picture national credibility back. I do not have a huge problem with the apparent hypocrisy of it all because I want W out and Kerry is the only chance I see. But, others see it differently and so be it

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-12-2004 at 01:46 PM..
Old 07-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dean is to the Kerry campaign what McCain was to the Bush campaign in 2000. Both Dean and McCain despise the men they're supporting, but don't have the balls to to say so.