The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Live Album Reissue (April 9, 2021)

Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere!

An account I follow on Instagram (@fleetwoodmacnews) just announced that WEA is planning on reissuing the 1980 Live Album on April 9th, 2021. I can't find any articles about it anywhere else, but in case anyone was interested these were the details they leaked:

Remastered, deluxe edition box set including 2LPs, 3CDs and a 7" vinyl single (presumably Fireflies)

If it's true I'm super excited! I love the live album so improved sound quality would be amazing. Also the original CD release is only 2 CDs right? I wonder what will be on the third CD. Maybe some cut live tracks like The Chain, You Make Loving Fun, or Sisters of the Moon? Or maybe some live tracks from later albums that never made it to CD like Brown Eyes, Isn't it Midnight or Seven Wonders.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 02-09-2021, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's an interesting choice to do a live album. I'm looking forward to this.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 02-09-2021, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’d throw the entire band under a bus for the opportunity to have an expanded or deluxe Live 1980 album.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

OMG this is too good to be true. An extra CD. OMG My mind races with the possibilities.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Why are they reissuing Live 1980 when they just did a tour with a new lineup? I thought Lindsey was being redacted from their future releases.

They could've had a live album of the 2018 Tour with Don't Dream It's Over, I Got You, and Free Fallin'.

Maybe the third disc is new recordings of FM classics with Neil Finn and Mike Campbell!
Old 02-09-2021, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Maybe the third disc is new recordings of FM classics with Neil Finn and Mike Campbell!
I seriously doubt they'd screw with the Rumours legacy on doing this.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Why are they reissuing Live 1980 when they just did a tour with a new lineup? I thought Lindsey was being redacted from their future releases.

They could've had a live album of the 2018 Tour with Don't Dream It's Over, I Got You, and Free Fallin'.

Oh no no no no no no don't give them ANY ideas!
Old 02-12-2021, 04:34 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Original live Album 1980 recorded during tusk tour only?

I remember reading once here on the ledge that some of the songs on the 1980 double live album were NOT recorded during the Tusk tour in 1979/80, but also in 1975 and 1977 (f.e. Over My Head). Now I read in the iTunes store (the new remastered live album) that ALL the songs of the album really were recorded during the Tusk tour only, except for Don't Let Me Down Again. Is this true?
Old 02-12-2021, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversprings99 View Post
I remember reading once here on the ledge that some of the songs on the 1980 double live album were NOT recorded during the Tusk tour in 1979/80, but also in 1975 and 1977 (f.e. Over My Head). Now I read in the iTunes store (the new remastered live album) that ALL the songs of the album really were recorded during the Tusk tour only, except for Don't Let Me Down Again. Is this true?
Not a chance that’s true. Just off the top of my head, that Rhiannon is clearly from the Rumours tour. And I don’t believe Over My Head was played on the Tusk Tour.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Not a chance that’s true. Just off the top of my head, that Rhiannon is clearly from the Rumours tour. And I don’t believe Over My Head was played on the Tusk Tour.
Correct. Over My Head was not the Tusk tour. This reissue is a grab bag of tours.

The Rhiannon on the live album is absolute perfection. Damn it rocks and the vocals and everything is humming like a well oiled machine. As much as I LOVE the Mirage concert and all the songs, Rhiannon is the low point. Stevie mailed in the performance and the song just does not have the tempo and power as earlier tours.

If I had 2 questions to ask Lindsey. One would be about the urban legend about the tracking on Tusk and the other would be why in the world did the band include a song on the live album where his guitar string breaks at the end. Maybe they thought this was cool? You can hear someone (sounds like Chris) say at the end..."you broke a string didn't you" Now that is some weird s**t. Sara live is so wonderful it does not need touching yet they went to great efforts to touch the song for the album. Yet of all the Don't Stop performances, this is the one they picked. Strange. no?

(note to someone: I know the record company selects the songs so please hold the lecture. But the band could have corrected this)

The Live album has always been probably my favorite because back then Fleetwood Mac live vs the studio was like a different band. When I lived in West Palm Beach there used to be a hard rock station that never played anything from Fleetwood Mac because of course they were not hard rock. However, they would play the live album's Oh Well. Lindsey is on fire and John and Mick are flaming even more. Listen to that bass and Micks ending. Damn they were tight! (OMG, I said damn twice on this post ..now 3 times)

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-12-2021 at 06:47 AM..
Old 02-12-2021, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Correct. Over My Head was not the Tusk tour. This reissue is a grab bag of tours.

The Rhiannon on the live album is absolute perfection. Damn it rocks and the vocals and everything is humming like a well oiled machine. As much as I LOVE the Mirage concert and all the songs, Rhiannon is the low point. Stevie mailed in the performance and the song just does not have the tempo and power as earlier tours.

If I had 2 questions to ask Lindsey. One would be about the urban legend about the tracking on Tusk and the other would be why in the world did the band include a song on the live album where his guitar string breaks at the end. Maybe they thought this was cool? You can hear someone (sounds like Chris) say at the end..."you broke a string didn't you" Now that is some weird s**t. Sara live is so wonderful it does not need touching yet they went to great efforts to touch the song for the album. Yet of all the Don't Stop performances, this is the one they picked. Strange. no?

(note to someone: I know the record company selects the songs so please hold the lecture. But the band could have corrected this)

The Live album has always been probably my favorite because back then Fleetwood Mac live vs the studio was like a different band. When I lived in West Palm Beach there used to be a hard rock station that never played anything from Fleetwood Mac because of course they were not hard rock. However, they would play the live album's Oh Well. Lindsey is on fire and John and Mick are flaming even more. Listen to that bass and Micks ending. Damn they were tight! (OMG, I said damn twice on this post ..now 3 times)
I've also always wondered - whats up with the tracks recorded in santa monica? If it was at the santa monica civic aud, that is a really small venue and it wasn't a tour date. I was curious what spurred them to record those songs and record them there.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, regarding why certain songs were chosen and not others. This album was compiled (rather quickly I would assume) at the end of the tusk tour, perhaps it may have started during breaks in the tour, not sure. My point is, I'm betting they were all extremely washed out from the road and the substances. The bands involvement could of been extremely limited, even at that time.

I would imagine tapes were more carefully listened to and compared in recent years when compiling the Tusk Deluxe sets etc.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I've also always wondered - whats up with the tracks recorded in santa monica? If it was at the santa monica civic aud, that is a really small venue and it wasn't a tour date. I was curious what spurred them to record those songs and record them there.
I think those newish songs were from July 1980 and that it was sort of a rehearsal for the final leg of the tour. (They were previously off the road in June and the final leg didn’t start until August.) We have a couple of “Fireflies” and “Farmer’s Daughter” versions that are all very close (save a piano track here and there), but why the band ran through three new ones, I’m just not sure. Maybe they planned to try some of them in concert.

On the album proper, the songs NOT recorded on the 1979–80 tour are:
  • Monday Morning
  • Say You Love Me
  • Dreams
  • Rhiannon
  • Over My Head
  • Don’t Let Me Down Again
  • Don’t Stop

The “Sara” vocal has always both fascinated and baffled me. It sounds nothing like her 1979–80 vocals on tour. In fact, it sounds like that barrel-chested bronchial romanticism of the 1982 tour. It must have been recorded between the end of the tour (September) and the album release (December), but there is still no logical explanation as to why it sounds the way it does, save that she was in some post-bronchitis distress and loved the sound of her singing. Sometimes, when I have partially recovered from a chest cold, I like the sound of my own singing. There’s a cavernous quality that my illness brings.

I don’t believe that the album had much in the way of instrumental doctoring, other than mixing, of course, but I think some of the vocals — like the chorus on “Go Your Own Way” — were modified in studio. But nothing truly major, the way “The Dance” was polished up. Listen to the latter and then listen to the Irvine Meadows radio simulcast (Westwood One) from the tour and you can hear what the band really sounded like playing together.

As for why that “Don’t Stop” was picked for inclusion, possibly because it was so easy to mix given that it was from a publicity video they shot a few years before and were already using for marketing. (You saw it on TV to advertise Rumours in 1977.) But I love the way it peters out and Christine comments on the broken string — it’s so loose and impromptu, so indicative of the frame of mind the band were in during the Tusk years.

Incidentally, several of those inner-sleeve photos are from the final two shows at the Hollywood Bowl, including the shot of Stevie in her velour riding jacket with her leg up on the kick drum. She took that pose for a solid minute or two during the raging finale of “Go Your Own Way.”

Ahhh . . . where are the snows of yesteryear? Aye, where are they? Nostalgia infects my soul, and memories, yellowing with antiquity, infuse my spirit with a mellowing contentment.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 02-13-2021, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

I'm all about the Rhiannon on Live!! By far my fave of that song.. lurv it.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's a pro-shot of 'Sara' from the Tusk Tour (courtesy of 'TheSuperFleetwoodMac') who had posted this before, though it seems it was later taken down. Don't know the exact show date.

Interestingly, when Billy Burnette and Rick Vito joined up in 1987, Christine and the rest of the band gushed about them. She said how fun the new guys are, and complained how Lindsey never used to smile on stage. Not sure about that - Lindsey and Christine look pretty lovey-dovey at the 4:38 time-mark.