Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:28 AM
Ledgie

Default Behind the Mask: 30th Anniversary

Thirty years ago, on Tuesday, 10 April 1990, Fleetwood Mac released their fifteenth studio album, Behind the Mask.

Behind the Mask remains a great album.

Last edited by Dragon; 04-10-2020 at 05:32 AM..
Old 04-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

You beat me to the punch. I still remember buying my BTM cassette tape in late April 1990 at the Greengate Mall, Record Mart, Greensburg, PA. I was 20 and working at a grocery store. I LOVED how unpop it was compared to Tango. I loved the bluesy feel some of the songs had and how we all heard Christine's playing again. In The Back Of My Mind was an early favorite and loved how all 3 singers were featured in the song. The only dud on the album is Hard Feelings IMHO. Half the album is outstanding while the other half pretty good. I prefer Lindsey in the band of course but there is something about this era that really appeals to me. I think maybe because maybe Christine was more of a focus than she normally was especially in concert. Mick and Billy were drinking themselves blind while Stevie was zonked out of her mind. She seemed to be the capable captain navigating the ship. The 1990 Farewell Concert still racks up as one of my all time favorite concerts ever. As crazy as this sounds, I preferred it to the Dance. The Dance was so scripted and studio like. While it was great having Lindsey back, the 1990 shows were arena rock days when anything could happen and technology was not taking over sound (yet).
Was disappointed how poorly the album sold and to barely have a top 30 hit from the Mac was shocking. No Stevie songs even good enough to release or chart...another first for the band. Although we can celebrate the album's big success in the UK #1 and in Canada Save Me peaked at #7.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

This album just might be my second favorite Mac album in general. I know that’s an extremely unpopular opinion, but it doesn’t bother me. Even after the “genius” Lindsey had left, you have to admire the band’s effort as a whole to keep going and doing something slightly different while still holding onto their sound AND at the same time navigating the new sound of the late 80s and early 90s. They even managed to tap into their older blues sound, while still sounding pop/rock. Like I said in the other thread for When It Comes To Love, Love Is Dangerous is funky blues-rock, In The Back Of My Mind is experimental and trippy and shows off the whole group very well. Save Me and Skies The Limit are classic Christine and were commercial as heck. It’s a mystery why these singles didn’t get more attention. But I suspect it’s because of the changing musical trends, the fact everyone knew Lindsey was gone, and the public’s view towards the band as being “old”. All members (except Billy) were over 40 years old by this point and let’s face it, ageism is unfortunately a thing within the music industry and a factor in radio reception. Nonetheless, I personally love the majority of the songs, and even some of the songs that didn’t make the final cut (especially Got No Home and Paper Doll).
Old 04-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haha I've been searching about this album before I came to the forum, and I saw the thread open!!
Personally, I don't find myself with this album yet. And I have the cassette!! If I heard it once, it was too much...
I've been searching about the album not only because of the 30th anniversary, but also because of and extended version of Behind The Mask. Is it a crazy idea??
Of course it depends on how important Warner/Rhino can see the chance, but I think it would be really interesting for us the fans to hear also demo versions of this album.

Mark.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Haha I've been searching about this album before I came to the forum, and I saw the thread open!!
Personally, I don't find myself with this album yet. And I have the cassette!! If I heard it once, it was too much...
I've been searching about the album not only because of the 30th anniversary, but also because of and extended version of Behind The Mask. Is it a crazy idea??
Of course it depends on how important Warner/Rhino can see the chance, but I think it would be really interesting for us the fans to hear also demo versions of this album.

Mark.
I'll bet $100 that they'll never reissue BTM. It just wasn't big enough.

At the time, I listened to the whole thing at first, but eventually cut several songs out of my playlist. There are some decent songs on there, but it's not a classic album.

They then realized how much they needed Lindsey.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The symbolism or irony that 30 years to the day that Behind the Mask was released we all would be living (literally) behind a mask

Old 04-11-2020, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The symbolism or irony that 30 years to the day that Behind the Mask was released we all would be living (literally) behind a mask

Make me a mask
That I can wear
'Till day is done
The wind in the trees
The falling leaves
The world's spinning

Make me a mask
So I can laugh
'Till nighttime comes
No more can I stay
How long must I play
This game of winning

If I had known this was only a dream
I would have awakened from this sleep

Make me a mask
So I can last
'Till the right time comes
A tear in my eye
To light I fly
And end is beginning

[Lindsey Buckingham, 1992; contemporary although not from Behind the Mask]

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Even after the “genius” Lindsey had left, .
why quotation marks? it is pretty much an accepted fact, whether or not you like his & Classic 5 era music or not. #GetOverIt

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Make me a mask
That I can wear
'Till day is done
The wind in the trees
The falling leaves
The world's spinning

Make me a mask
So I can laugh
'Till nighttime comes
No more can I stay
How long must I play
This game of winning

Make me a mask
So I can last
A tear in my eye
To light I fly
And end is beginning

I love this track: simple, beguiling, hypnotic.Somehow, it reminds me of Danny Kirwan. Of course, it's a Lindsey solo track (I believe left over from Out of the Cradle) that he agreed to have an FM moniker on, but I wonder if the words and title are a bit of a jibe at his then-former band. Nearly everything on OOTC is way superior to nearly everything on BTM- title track aside, I wince whenever I summon up the courage to listen to the latter, which I can't say is very often.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Make me a mask
That I can wear
'Till day is done
The wind in the trees
The falling leaves
The world's spinning

Make me a mask
So I can laugh
'Till nighttime comes
No more can I stay
How long must I play
This game of winning

Make me a mask
So I can last
A tear in my eye
To light I fly
And end is beginning

why quotation marks? it is pretty much an accepted fact, whether or not you like his & Classic 5 era music or not. #GetOverIt
“#GetOverIt” Really, though? Yes I DO believe he is a genius and obviously a vital member of the band and greatly contributed to their sound and their success. My goodness. Relax, it’s all good. There was definitely magic with the Rumours 5. It’s pretty obvious. I only used quotations on that because there are fans who kept believing that the band as a whole were not good without him. All incarnations of this band are awesome. Thank you. Hugs ��

Forgot to add it is pretty ironic that I have to wear a mask if I go out in public as of right now
Old 04-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Yes I DO believe he is a genius and obviously a vital member of the band and greatly contributed to their sound and their success.
good good.

way too many SN stans on social media have been lately going in crazy circles trying to belittle LB's genius (guess to try to make her more important or something? makes no sense, really, they were all important in their very different ways), thanks for explaining it was just misplaced quotation marks.

hugs back, hope you are doing well and staying safe!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-11-2020, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I love this track: simple, beguiling, hypnotic.Somehow, it reminds me of Danny Kirwan. Of course, it's a Lindsey solo track (I believe left over from Out of the Cradle) that he agreed to have an FM moniker on, but I wonder if the words and title are a bit of a jibe at his then-former band. Nearly everything on OOTC is way superior to nearly everything on BTM- title track aside, I wince whenever I summon up the courage to listen to the latter, which I can't say is very often.
i believe so, yup.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
good good.

way too many SN stans on social media have been lately going in crazy circles trying to belittle LB's genius (guess to try to make her more important or something? makes no sense, really, they were all important in their very different ways), thanks for explaining it was just misplaced quotation marks.

hugs back, hope you are doing well and staying safe!
I apologize about my misplaced quotation marks, Ms. Elle. My boyfriend is the English teacher and professional article transcriber and I’m not. I was just quoting what I believed probably most fans and the general public were thinking back in 1990. I know Lindsey knows what he’s doing in the studio when it comes to recording, mixing, engineering and etc. He has written his share of hits for the band. I’ll admit that Stevie is still my favorite member of the band but that really is only because of her solo work. Music is subjective and EVERYONE has their feelings and opinions as it should be. However I am NOT a fan of her diva attitude as of late and I do still feel awful about how they discharged Lindsey from the group. It kind of disgusts me. It’s not fair at all. And it doesn’t feel right. I know I’m not alone on this opinion. But anyway, this thread is about Behind The Mask and it’s 30th Anniversary.

What are your top 5 favs, if you could only pick 5 from this album? And sorry, this is a general question for everyone...

For myself
1-Love Is Dangerous
2-Save Me
3-In The Back Of My Mind
4-Behind The Mask
5-Freedom

And Make Me A Mask is one of Lindsey’s most hypnotic songs. I love it BTW..

Last edited by svnwndrs; 04-11-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Old 04-12-2020, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Make me a mask
That I can wear
'Till day is done
The wind in the trees
The falling leaves
The world's spinning

Make me a mask
So I can laugh
'Till nighttime comes
No more can I stay
How long must I play
This game of winning

Make me a mask
So I can last
A tear in my eye
To light I fly
And end is beginning

LOL Get over it!!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
LOL Get over it!!
What's My Line?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'll bet $100 that they'll never reissue BTM. It just wasn't big enough.

At the time, I listened to the whole thing at first, but eventually cut several songs out of my playlist. There are some decent songs on there, but it's not a classic album.

They then realized how much they needed Lindsey.
And you will win, for sure!! It wasn't big enough, you're totally right. There's some good songs, but well...there's 30 years since its release! At least a re-remastered edition would be nice.
And yes, I agree with the last you said...