The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:01 PM
Ledgie

Default "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" album discussion episode of Phonogenics 101

Taking a break from the recent "he said/she said" tea, we went back to 2014 and discussed Stevie's "24 Karat Gold: Songs From The Vault" album. Can you believe it's been 7 years already.

Look forward to reading the additional discussions in the comments!

https://youtu.be/Ec_5hRb1Uuo
Old 09-17-2021, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably my favourite of hers. Sincere work, 100% Stevie being Stevie throughout. Can't wait to sit down and watch this discussion!
Old 09-18-2021, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The album is clearly a treat for real fans, the general public or casual fans are unlikely to get most of it. As one panelist said, it is honest and there is no grasping desperately for a radio hit and (almost) no cowrites or covers.

The songs are really Stevie and Dave Stewart seems to have let her run free here while supporting the songs with good production for the most part. Listen to some tricks here and there, like the whispered "wrap her in velvet" in the intro to 24 Karat Gold. In some cases, like Blue Water, Lady, She Loves Him Still it sounds like Stevie was working hard on the vocal or they did the vocal in one take, making it seem almost concert-like at times.

The discussion focused on comparisons to old demos a lot, which is typical of fans, but I like to take the finished products as they come.

I love the album, it is quirky and self-indulgent and rambling and Stevie. I always seem to deviate sharply from the majority of fans in this: My favourite thing about it is that it has no less than 4 ballads, 5 is you count Hard Advice. The best non-ballad is, of course, Mabel Normand, which is bat ***** crazy but delivered with such strength and conviction you are yanked hard into the nutso world of Stevie at her kookiest. A roller coaster ride of almost nonsense but sounding oh so important.

And unlike most, I put Watch Devil and Belle Fleur at the bottom of my list, that style of Stevie leaves me bored and cold. Or lying face-down in the rain...

Last edited by mitzo; 09-18-2021 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: added content
Old 09-18-2021, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
The album is clearly a treat for real fans, the general public or casual fans are unlikely to get most of it. As one panelist said, it is honest and there is no grasping desperately for a radio hit and (almost) no cowrites or covers.

The songs are really Stevie and Dave Stewart seems to have let her run free here while supporting the songs with good production for the most part. Listen to some tricks here and there, like the whispered "wrap her in velvet" in the intro to 24 Karat Gold. In some cases, like Blue Water, Lady, She Loves Him Still it sounds like Stevie was working hard on the vocal or they did the vocal in one take, making it seem almost concert-like at times.

The discussion focused on comparisons to old demos a lot, which is typical of fans, but I like to take the finished products as they come.

I love the album, it is quirky and self-indulgent and rambling and Stevie. I always seem to deviate sharply from the majority of fans in this: My favourite thing about it is that it has no less than 4 ballads, 5 is you count Hard Advice. The best non-ballad is, of course, Mabel Normand, which is bat ***** crazy but delivered with such strength and conviction you are yanked hard into the nutso world of Stevie at her kookiest. A roller coaster ride of almost nonsense but sounding oh so important.

And unlike most, I put Watch Devil and Belle Fleur at the bottom of my list, that style of Stevie leaves me bored and cold. Or lying face-down in the rain...
I never heard a whisper in 24 Karat Gold! Was the demo called Watch Devil rather than Watch Chain? I know lyrics from Watch Chain are in the Enchanted booklet.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I never heard a whisper in 24 Karat Gold! Was the demo called Watch Devil rather than Watch Chain? I know lyrics from Watch Chain are in the Enchanted booklet.
Watch Chain or Devil... was not in the Enchanted box set at all. The 24 Karat Gold whisper is in the instrumental intro to the song. Sort of a whisper that blends with the music.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Watch Chain or Devil... was not in the Enchanted box set at all.
Open the booklet within Enchanted and let us know what you see.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Open the booklet within Enchanted and let us know what you see.
Yes a couple of lines are in there. Now go listen to 24KG and see if you can find that whisper.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Now go listen to 24KG and see if you can find that whisper.
Too bad Team Stevie didn't include the whisper in this lyric video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQIk_SOsiys

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 09-18-2021 at 08:55 PM..
Old 09-19-2021, 09:00 PM
Ledgie

I keep listening over and over and for the life of me I can't hear that whisper on the album version of "24 Karat Gold" - I was also the guy who never saw the "hidden picture" in those weird paintings back in the 90s lol. Where exactly in the song is this whisper? I've tried like 5 times with no luck!
Old 09-20-2021, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
I keep listening over and over and for the life of me I can't hear that whisper on the album version of "24 Karat Gold" - I was also the guy who never saw the "hidden picture" in those weird paintings back in the 90s lol. Where exactly in the song is this whisper? I've tried like 5 times with no luck!
If you wheel in the same glass table, you will hear it.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
In the intro, when the guitar kicks in it has two parts, and it is in the second part before the vocals begin. Hard to describe. But now you guys have me thinking I imagine it but no, in my speakers it is as clear as a bell: "dah dah dah wrap her in velvet dah dah set me free set me free...." It is Stevie's voice but very distant and muffled and it blends perfectly with the music.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the intro, when the guitar kicks in it has two parts, and it is in the second part before the vocals begin. Hard to describe. But now you guys have me thinking I imagine it but no, in my speakers it is as clear as a bell: "dah dah dah wrap her in velvet dah dah set me free set me free...." It is Stevie's voice but very distant and muffled and it blends perfectly with the music.
i can sorta hear her voice but nothing distinct at all like those words
Old 04-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With the absence of representation from 24 Karat Gold in Stevie's 2023 Tour setlist, I gave this record a listen.

I can't pick up a theme from this record like I could on IYD, which was magical love, loss, and death.

I think All The Beautiful Worlds is the best song on this album. I'm shocked she never performed the title track live.

Stevie only played 3 songs live from this album. One of those had very good lyrics. Starshine is great instrumentally but the lyrics aren't worthy of applause. Belle Fleur is repetitive lyrically but the music is so good I think it was worthy of a live debut.

I don't think Stevie is as proud of this record as she is of In Your Dreams or Trouble in Shangri-La.
Old 04-22-2023, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think Stevie is as proud of this record as she is of In Your Dreams or Trouble in Shangri-La.
Is she really “proud” of any album outside of BD and WH? Other than a select few tunes, she avoids digging too deep on any of her other ones including ignoring relatively popular hits.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Is she really “proud” of any album outside of BD and WH? Other than a select few tunes, she avoids digging too deep on any of her other ones including ignoring relatively popular hits.
That's a good point. She does more Fleetwood Mac songs than songs off of one Stevie album. I.E. she does Wild Heart, If Anyone Falls, Enchanted and Stand Back but for FM songs she does six!