The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm devastated, as we all are. I held it together while making breakfast and then i turned the radio on and the mere mention of her name followed by a snippet of Say You Love Me broke me. I'll be in a dark place for a while. Christine, thank you.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got a text from a friend I am currently angry with telling me the sad news. I thought perhaps it was a hoax so she then texted me the words from Christine's official FB page. I'm numb and still in shock because this was so unexpected. I was at work in Connecticut when I got the text at 2:42 pm. I just remembered the first time I saw Christine live was in 1979 in Connecticut. She was such a huge part of my life since I was a teenager. I will never forget you, my love. Rest in Peace. It is now 8:29pm and I wish the tears would come. Maybe I don't want to believe it is real.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It’s kind of funny to think about the first song you run to play. There were two songs that immediately swamped my brain and memory: When the Train Comes Back and Never Make Me Cry.
I haven’t been able to listen to anything yet. But the last song I heard right before I saw the news was the Keep Me There vocal demo. Feels weirdly fitting, with feelings of anticipating a loss and trying to cling to the past and pretend that everything is still okay. And the fact that such a beautiful piece ended up as an unfinished demo speaks volumes to me about what an incredible and prolific songwriter she was.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My heart broke as soon as I saw the headline she had passed away. It felt like a dear friend or family member had gone. I've loved Fleetwood Mac since I was 16 and Christine was such a huge part of why. Her beautiful warm voice always soothed my soul. She is going to be missed so badly. Rest in Paradise Songbird!
Old 11-30-2022, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I've been watching tributes flood my social media news feeds, from friends, news outlets, and acquaintances alike. She's receiving so much love. I never even knew that many of my friends and acquaintances were fans. Christine made so many people happy. I hope she knew and felt that.
I hope so too. I know she know people loved the band. But did she know how much pleasure SHE gave us. Even when some lyrics were trite, her voice gave them feeling. She could put a certain ache in her tone, even when the song sounded light or upbeat. It just hit you under tge skin. And also her manner in the early days. That personality. She bristled. She recognized absurdity. She put people in their place but could appreciate goofiness. I hope she knows that she was admired separate from the band.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for the the soundtrack of my life and all that you added to my favorite band of all time. RIP Songbird.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m still trying to locate my feelings. I’m still in shock. I kid you not when I say I was just thinking the other night that she might leave us soon—and then quickly I covered it up with other thoughts.

The only song I wanted to listen to was “Only Over You”, the alternate version on the Mirage Deluxe. I did and heard her voice differently. Her plaintive ache, the elegiac tone of her voice, took on new meaning. If I’d heard the acoustic version of “Friend,” I would have lost it.

Like many of you, I have thought about her everyday for decades. What do we do with this absence?
Old 11-30-2022, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My older cousin moved in with us when I was 13, with her Rumours 8-track tape. I wore it out, and many other copies afterwards. I was obsessed with it, and the band. I was pretty much an equal fan of all three singers in the first few years. But as time passed, I found Christine to be the real heart of the band. She had the best songs. That's why she had the most hits.

I've often imagined over the years how I would feel when this day came. I imagined I would feel like life was over. But I just feel numb right now. I guess I haven't processed it yet. I've been dealing with business stuff ever since I read about her death this afternoon. And that's now over. So I'm about to watch Fleetwood Mac DVD after Fleetwood Mac DVD, drink some wine, and hopefully cry my eyes out. She was the heart of the band of my life, for the last 45 years. There will never be another like her.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 11-30-2022 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Nunya
Old 11-30-2022, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
My older cousin moved in with us when I was 13, with her Rumours 8-track tape. I wore it out, and many other copies afterwards. I was obsessed with it, and the band. I was pretty much an equal fan of all three singers in the first few years. But as time passed, I found Christine to be the real heart of the band. She had the best songs. That's why she had the most hits.

I've often imagined over the years how I would feel when this day came. I imagined I would feel like life was over. But I just feel numb right now. I guess I haven't processed it yet. I've been dealing with business stuff ever since I read about her death this afternoon. And that's now over. So I'm about to watch Fleetwood Mac DVD after Fleetwood Mac DVD, drink some wine, and hopefully cry my eyes out. She was the heart of the band of my life, for the last 45 years. There will never be another like her.
I’m thinking of you and John B in particular. Her three spirit sons in mourning.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I’m thinking of you and John B in particular. Her three spirit sons in mourning.
This post started the tears flowing. Hugs to you both.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Drunk for hours now, and it's insane that I even remember my password here. Not even sure why I logged in, as I don't know what to say. This woman was the soundtrack to my youth, my adulthood, my life. In some ways, it feels like she raised me when my own ****ed up parents could not. Had a real hard childhood, and her music was just something that "kept me there." Haven't cared about Fleetwood Mac in ages since all of the band's antics with Lindsey, but this has me reeling.

Chris, I think you were more than the sum of all these dramatic parts. And even when people hear "Everywhere" in a damn car commercial, it's amazing to know you've brought such shared joy. There's now a hole in this lifetime of mine that I don't know how to fill.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I already posted elsewhere, but I wanted to add my voice to the chorus here as well. I've never been able to proffer anything terribly original or moving in moments like these; words fail me. I'll just say that Christine McVie enriched the lives of people like us all around the world, and as long as we're playing her music, she's never really gone. Unbearably trite; undeniably true.

But the world is still a poorer place without her living in it.

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-30-2022 at 10:26 PM..
Old 11-30-2022, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I know that it's none of my business, but I'd like to hear what was communicated to FM Saturday telling them she was sick. I wonder if they knew it was near the end, at that time. On Saturday.
yes I was trying to piece together some of the timeline..if Stevie/they were told she was sick (I'm guessing in hospital but who really knows) Saturday and then Lindsey's cryptic tweet from yesterday (Nov 29)... and then the official announcement today... I hope that is a reflection of how swiftly it happened, for Chris's sake... But she may also have been very private about any health issue and not told the others... I mentioned in the Christine thread that this possibly makes other recent events make some new sense, like her clearing out a lot of her old things and putting them up for auction, selling her catalog etc... maybe in addition to just getting older she knew something else...

It's hard to process how that smashes any re-convening of the five....forever.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really did not think she would be the first of the five to leave. R.I.P Christine and Fleetwood Mac.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's possible that Mick and John knew before Stevie or Lindsey.

I have changed, but you remain ageless