User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:14 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
One more thing - if any industry people are lurking - please release the Wild Heart bonus disc on vinyl for Record Store Day. Or something. Just do it!
Yes, brilliant idea.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Loving the Wild Heart Outtakes... well worth the price of admission

Sorcerer: wowser, the arrangement is absolute killer and would've given the original album a bit of an edge on side one, but I understand its exclusion with the two Streets of Fire versions, but wholly what a gem. Makes me wonder about that unsolved mystery of a 1975 Fleetwood Mac version and is it a similar arrangement?

Sable on Blonde is epic and puts this song into the stratosphere. Easily one of her best solo outings.

Wild Heart: the finished version was the right choice, but great to hear it in its development.

I Sing for the Things: Had they used this exact version for Rock a Little, it may have redeemed some of that outing for me.

The others... all beautiful, deliciously sung and amazing tracks!
Old 11-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is anybody else wishing that the included "All The Beautiful Worlds" had been the version most of us are familiar with? She absolutely nails the vocal, no missed cues/false starts, she sounds feisty & well.. wild hearted! The end of that version is probably one of my favorite moments in Stevie's recorded history. The dark atmosphere building up to the climax, background vocals swirling in and out, her voice.. Truly spellbinding. This new version on the deluxe disc is just a little more subdued to me . Still interesting to here a different take.

Last edited by The Chain; 11-05-2016 at 03:27 PM..
Old 11-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I only bought the WH reissue so far, I just listened to the Bonus Tracks. Some initial thoughts:

I Sing For the Things - I have always absolutely loved the uptempo demo of this song so I was beyond thrilled when I heard this, all cleaned up and background vocals added. My bootleg version is a sonic mess so I'm so happy to have a remastered version of this gem.

Sorcerer - Excellent version!! For me it's the way this song should sound. I was never a huge fan of the TISL version with the heavy handed producing.

Sable on Blond - Simply amazing and utterly beautiful. This is why I love Stevie Nicks. 7 minutes of bliss.

Dial The Number - I never loved this song but this version really came to life for me. It's very pretty and soothing - like a lullaby. Glad they included it.

Wild Heart - Yikes! I'm glad they softened this song for the record. The "rock" version was jarring and harsh although I enjoyed the different spin on it. Her vocal interestingly was almost identical to the final version. I thought at times it was the same vocal but I don't think it was.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 11-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain View Post
Is anybody else wishing that the included "All The Beautiful Worlds" had been the version most of us are familiar with?
That would have been good. Anything but the one that was included. Why would anyone intentionally go with the version that was used???? I thought the same thing about "Smile At You" on the Mirage set.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is anybody else wishing that the included "All The Beautiful Worlds" had been the version most of us are familiar with? She absolutely nails the vocal, no missed cues/false starts, she sounds feisty & well.. wild hearted! The end of that version is probably one of my favorite moments in Stevie's recorded history. The dark atmosphere building up to the climax, background vocals swirling in and out, her voice.. Truly spellbinding. This new version on the deluxe disc is just a little more subdued to me . Still interesting to here a different take.
That should have been the third disc. All the outtakes we have come to know and love, like the rockin' version of Violet and Blue that was actually featured in the Against All Odds movie!

Last edited by SpyNote; 11-05-2016 at 06:19 PM..
Old 11-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
That would have been good. Anything but the one that was included. Why would anyone intentionally go with the version that was used???? I thought the same thing about "Smile At You" on the Mirage set.
I also felt that way about the chosen "Smile" on the boxset . I often wonder if some of the leaked takes that have been circulating for years are actually completely lost to Stevie or Warners, whoever, and that maybe some of these unfamiliar versions are all whoever's running the project can dig up.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also felt that way about the chosen "Smile" on the boxset . I often wonder if some of the leaked takes that have been circulating for years are actually completely lost to Stevie or Warners, whoever, and that maybe some of these unfamiliar versions are all whoever's running the project can dig up.
I would have rather had those widely heard outtakes of ATBw and SAU but I'm thinking that is the very reason they went with the versions they did --- because the others are so easily accessible.

In any case I prefer the version of ATBW on 24KG to this version for sure! I also like the 24KG versions of If You Were My Love and The Dealer better than these versions, but love having these too now.

That stand-outs for me echo what a lot of others have said. From Bella Donna I love having most of that first solo tour, and on WH I just love love love these versions of Sorcerer, Sable on Blonde and I Sing for the Things.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel the exact opposite. I'm thrilled at the version of ATBW they included. I feel this vocal is far more wild hearted as you put it. In fact I've felt that the 24 KG version was far better then the demo we've had for decades. But this new version included in disc 2 of the reissue blows the other 2 out of the water. Maybe I enjoy these miscues you speak of.

I'll do a long rambling review of both reissues eventually but for now quickly, the holy trinity in a row of these particular versions of sable on blonde, ATBW and Sorcerer may be the best stretch if 3 songs on any stevie album ever!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I would have rather had those widely heard outtakes of ATBw and SAU but I'm thinking that is the very reason they went with the versions they did --- because the others are so easily accessible.

In any case I prefer the version of ATBW on 24KG to this version for sure! I also like the 24KG versions of If You Were My Love and The Dealer better than these versions, but love having these too now.

That stand-outs for me echo what a lot of others have said. From Bella Donna I love having most of that first solo tour, and on WH I just love love love these versions of Sorcerer, Sable on Blonde and I Sing for the Things.
I agree. I appreciate these versions but the versions on 24k are easily the best versions.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:42 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hahaha... Did anybody else notice the car horn on SDMHA remastered live version at :54 seconds. I don't know why but this just cracks me up
Old 11-10-2016, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
It took me five minutes to determine SAU :-)
Old 11-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
Hahaha... Did anybody else notice the car horn on SDMHA remastered live version at :54 seconds. I don't know why but this just cracks me up
No. I just listened again and put the volume up really loud but I still can't hear it. Are you sure you have the time right?
Old 11-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great that the deluxe sets are getting rave reviews on here. I've decided to wait until Christmas to get mine - something to look forward to, and more spare time to appreciate them
Old 11-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I just finished listening to the remastered Bella Donna on CD. And then I thought about it for about 10 minutes, and now here I am.

I have a decent stereo system. Nothing audiophile quality, but better than average these days. A friend gave me his old 48" floor speakers from Kenwood a few years back, and I can turn them up loud, so I did.

There's some tape hiss at the start. It was super annoying but went away by the first chorus. I think... By the time Kind Of Woman started I didn't hear it, so it was either just at the beginning or it gets buried in the other sounds. First impression is that it's a loud remaster. Initial disappointment of a sort set in. Very suspiciously, I continued to listen, telling myself it doesn't sound bad, just different when compared to my decades-old vinyl or original CDs from the late 80's.

My initial impressions of loudness diminished as the album played, and things turned around when Think About It started. One of my top 3 favorites from this album. It sounds amazing. So crisp and clear and Stevie's voice is so there, up front in a great way and I love it. Then, After The Glitter fades - also amazing - also a favorite, and then Edge, and it was great - Edge of Seventeen took my breath away - and then I started reading the liner notes, and I got distracted, and sort of tuned out for How Still My Love. And I totally skipped Stop Draggin' My Heart Around. And Leather and Lace. Yeah? So?

Outside The Rain sounds better than ever. The final of my three favorites - The Highwayman - also benefited greatly from this remaster. Maybe I was imagining it, but I could pull out Don Henley's parts more clearly. I finished the album feeling impressed and satisfied.

One criticism from me would be the liner notes. Um, so, I guess, based on the initial hype, it sounded to me as if each song would have a write up from Stevie herself, and that together, they would tell the story of the album and it's making. This isn't the case, but the liner notes that are included are good. Well written, there's a lot of dialog from Stevie about the album and the songs and recording them, and what was going on at the time emotionally. I think the liner notes deliver, but not what I expected.

There are seven pictures from the Bella Donna cover shoot, including the cover shot. The one right inside the cover of the booklet is my favorite! An outtake of the Stevie and girls on the big bed from the BD liner photo is also in the booklet. There are a handful of small candid photos taken in the studio included also.

OK - I'm off to listen to the outtakes CD. Be back later.
Great review. I haven't bought it yet but I did listen to a few tracks on YouTube. I thought Outside the Rain definitely sounded different, glad to hear you did too.

Do you think she wrote those liner notes? I could definitely hear where she had but I think someone else wrote about 80% of them, myself. Probably Karen.