The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2024, 01:05 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,090
Default Rare (and cool) Christine Interview: 1985

Never saw this until today. She looked great and was so level-headed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqq2Km7C6Xk
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 06-08-2024, 03:44 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Never saw this until today. She looked great and was so level-headed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqq2Km7C6Xk
He has a good interview with Stevie on the eve of the release of BD... it's good because she's very humble, not knowing whether the album will sell well or not.

"You and John McVie, and Stevie Nicks and.....her husband" LOLOL. And Christine doesn't take the opportunity to say Lindsey's actual name. LOL
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2024, 03:46 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 16,071
Default

I love this! She was always so humble.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2024, 04:52 PM
Penguin Emeritus Penguin Emeritus is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 376
Default

ooo never saw this either. she looks and sounds terrific.

--Lis
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2024, 06:41 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 4,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He has a good interview with Stevie on the eve of the release of BD... it's good because she's very humble, not knowing whether the album will sell well or not.

"You and John McVie, and Stevie Nicks and.....her husband" LOLOL.
Worse than that was when an interviewer asked the Carpenters, When did you two meet? Karen answered In High School! .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-08-2024, 06:45 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,336
Default

She does look great here but I think the date is from 1984 not 1985. They are talking as if her solo album was just released and there is a big hit on it. She was touring around April 1984 and this may have been the NY market press promotion.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2024, 06:55 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 6,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
She does look great here but I think the date is from 1984 not 1985. They are talking as if her solo album was just released and there is a big hit on it. She was touring around April 1984 and this may have been the NY market press promotion.
I wondered that myself but didn’t question the poster’s date. 4/84 seems more likely. However, I think discussions with FM re: a new album didn’t start until 1985.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2024, 08:31 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I wondered that myself but didn’t question the poster’s date. 4/84 seems more likely. However, I think discussions with FM re: a new album didn’t start until 1985.
I thought the same thing. However on American Bandstand prior to her 1984 tour she announces the Mac is getting together to record another album. The Mac album meeting says 1985 and her hair looks 1985. However the interview questions sort of reveal its 1984. He says: "The videos are over and you have a hit Got A Hold On Me."
I also noticed the Entertainment Tonight interview with Chris was also tagged 1985 when it was 1984. I suppose it could be either because there are opposing clues in regards to the Mac, her hair and the questions being asked. She seems to be talking about her solo album in real time. By 1985 it was water under the bridge.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2024, 12:45 PM
dougl's Avatar
dougl dougl is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 302
Default

Awesome! Thanks for the detective work.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2024, 08:19 AM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 4,395
Default

It is supposed that the first motivation for doing Tango was Micks bankruptcy. In his book he said this happened in June 1984. But I would think the idea was born in 1985.

As it happened, it was really Christine McVie who reunited Fleetwood Mac. It started when she called John Courage out of his Hawaiian exile to help her make an album in Switzerland, and eventually to manage her career. Christine had been asked to record Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love" for the soundtrack of the film A Fine Mess. She called in Richard Dashut to produce, who in turn said that Lindsey was a real Elvis fan and might like to get involved. Then John Courage called me and John McVie, and in August 1985 four-fifths of Fleetwood Mac found themselves in the studio, cutting this record. This was fun, and the seed that eventually grew into Tango in the Night.

But it was far from easy. Our natural group chemistry was still pretty weak at that point, and it was really the lawyers and managers the Gang of Four who tried to work out a structure in which we could create together. I have to say that from the outset, Stevie's people were great. Mick's in a jam, they said. How can we help him? John McVie said he would be there. Christine said she was in. Lindsey Buckingham alone was fairly reticent about Fleetwood Mac. He was enjoying his hard-won independence and deep into his own album with Richard Dashut.

Eventually we worked to build enough momentum that we were able to convince Lindsey that it might go off without him. When Lindsey said he was in, things went forward.


So if this is true and accurate, when in 1984 Christine announced a Mac reunion to record an album, probably it was based just in conversations with Mick, and probably John. I don't think she was sure they would count on Lindsey. And on Stevie. Nor when would this happen.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-10-2024, 10:06 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 16,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It is supposed that the first motivation for doing Tango was Micks bankruptcy. In his book he said this happened in June 1984. But I would think the idea was born in 1985.

As it happened, it was really Christine McVie who reunited Fleetwood Mac. It started when she called John Courage out of his Hawaiian exile to help her make an album in Switzerland, and eventually to manage her career. Christine had been asked to record Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love" for the soundtrack of the film A Fine Mess. She called in Richard Dashut to produce, who in turn said that Lindsey was a real Elvis fan and might like to get involved. Then John Courage called me and John McVie, and in August 1985 four-fifths of Fleetwood Mac found themselves in the studio, cutting this record. This was fun, and the seed that eventually grew into Tango in the Night.

But it was far from easy. Our natural group chemistry was still pretty weak at that point, and it was really the lawyers and managers the Gang of Four who tried to work out a structure in which we could create together. I have to say that from the outset, Stevie's people were great. Mick's in a jam, they said. How can we help him? John McVie said he would be there. Christine said she was in. Lindsey Buckingham alone was fairly reticent about Fleetwood Mac. He was enjoying his hard-won independence and deep into his own album with Richard Dashut.

Eventually we worked to build enough momentum that we were able to convince Lindsey that it might go off without him. When Lindsey said he was in, things went forward.


So if this is true and accurate, when in 1984 Christine announced a Mac reunion to record an album, probably it was based just in conversations with Mick, and probably John. I don't think she was sure they would count on Lindsey. And on Stevie. Nor when would this happen.
You and that m@#$%& f@#$%&* book.



__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-10-2024, 12:51 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 6,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
It is supposed that the first motivation for doing Tango was Micks bankruptcy. In his book he said this happened in June 1984. But I would think the idea was born in 1985.

As it happened, it was really Christine McVie who reunited Fleetwood Mac. It started when she called John Courage out of his Hawaiian exile to help her make an album in Switzerland, and eventually to manage her career. Christine had been asked to record Elvis's "Can't Help Falling in Love" for the soundtrack of the film A Fine Mess. She called in Richard Dashut to produce, who in turn said that Lindsey was a real Elvis fan and might like to get involved. Then John Courage called me and John McVie, and in August 1985 four-fifths of Fleetwood Mac found themselves in the studio, cutting this record. This was fun, and the seed that eventually grew into Tango in the Night.

But it was far from easy. Our natural group chemistry was still pretty weak at that point, and it was really the lawyers and managers the Gang of Four who tried to work out a structure in which we could create together. I have to say that from the outset, Stevie's people were great. Mick's in a jam, they said. How can we help him? John McVie said he would be there. Christine said she was in. Lindsey Buckingham alone was fairly reticent about Fleetwood Mac. He was enjoying his hard-won independence and deep into his own album with Richard Dashut.

Eventually we worked to build enough momentum that we were able to convince Lindsey that it might go off without him. When Lindsey said he was in, things went forward.


So if this is true and accurate, when in 1984 Christine announced a Mac reunion to record an album, probably it was based just in conversations with Mick, and probably John. I don't think she was sure they would count on Lindsey. And on Stevie. Nor when would this happen.
You and that book!

I do think this brings up a good conversation about this odd time in the Mac's history 1983-1985. All the singers with their solo projects were routinely asked about the future of Fleetwood Mac. The Zoo was on TV asked about the future and we got answers like "No comment." Stevie in 1985 was sort of bitter and cast shade saying "if everyone is really nice then maybe I will be a part" During numerous Go Insane promo interviews Lindsey was always vague too. Stevie was positive in 1983 saying "there will always be new Mac albums" But she grew very bitter and isolated about the Mac's future in that 1985 long interview that's been posted here many times.
Christine was always positive no matter what year. As early as spring of 1984 she was claiming the band was going to get together later that year (on American Bandstand). She had not even recorded "Cant Help Falling In Love" yet which was sort of the catalyst for bringing the band together again.
So I think there is some truth with what you are saying. There was probably a Mick conversation or a Warner Bros inquiry about a new album.
Since you brought up that freaking book I can quote it without even looking at it. Mick writes something like "Stevie had just finished the platinum Wild Heart and there was no way her management was going to allow her to come back to the Mac for awhile.
Chris was the always the optimist in those confusing and dark Mac years.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2024, 03:39 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 4,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Mick writes something like "Stevie had just finished the platinum Wild Heart and there was no way her management was going to allow her to come back to the Mac for awhile.
Yes he wrote it just before the paragraph I previously posted here. It's funny how he said that about Stevie's management but then he said Stevie's people were great.

But as much as I love the Zoo, my main concern was the revivification of Fleetwood Mac. The problem was how to make it happen. Stevie had a booming career of her own now. Her second solo album, The Wild Heart, had sold in the millions, and now she was working on her third, Rock a Little. It would be hard to persuade her management that she should come back to us for a while. Lindsey was also working on his third solo project, and Christine was enjoying a huge solo hit with "Got a Hold on Me." John McVie seemed quite happy in semiretirement, sailing his boat and playing occasional gigs with John Mayall and Mick Taylor in a reformed Bluesbreakers.

I was the only member of the band desperate to see it back together.

The reformation process started somewhat inauspiciously, when the rest of the band visited Stevie Nicks backstage at a benefit she was playing with her own band at the Universal Amphitheater for a local environmental group caned Mulholland Tomorrow. It was the first Time Fleetwood Mac had all been together since the end of the Mirage tour, three years earlier, and the tension was so thick you could choke on it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-11-2024, 02:17 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 16,071
Default

You TRULY want that book...hmm... well, you know. Why else would you keep beating us with it?
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Fleetwood Mac - S/T — SEALED MFSL Original Master Recording picture

Fleetwood Mac - S/T — SEALED MFSL Original Master Recording

$499.99



Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night LP Forest Green Vinyl Exclusive Limited Ed.  picture

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night LP Forest Green Vinyl Exclusive Limited Ed.

$63.75



Fleetwood Mac / Debut / beautiful, conditioned vinyl picture

Fleetwood Mac / Debut / beautiful, conditioned vinyl

$14.95



Fleetwood Mac - The Alternate Collection - 6LP Limited to 13k Clear Vinyl Boxset picture

Fleetwood Mac - The Alternate Collection - 6LP Limited to 13k Clear Vinyl Boxset

$149.33



Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night [New Vinyl LP] picture

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night [New Vinyl LP]

$24.55




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved