User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
She threatened to fire herself from working as a waitress/cleaning lady.
$he said if $he was going in the Army, so was he!
Old 08-03-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Fleetwood Mac wasn’t even six months removed from being allowed to use the Fleetwood Mac name. Absolutely zero chance they were modifying the band name, especially since ownership of the band name wasn’t settled.
Agreed. And, I forgot about the Davis fiasco. But, even without that scenario they would not do that. B/N were using a friend's studio time to record the next album. I believe they would. have broken up if they hadn't joined FMac.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
She threatened to fire herself from working as a waitress/cleaning lady.
Stevie originally wrote World Turning but gave it to BuckVie. Christine had a song called Oreo Cookie so she had some of the music. However, only then were Christine and Lindsey able to build World Turning after Lindsey arranged what Stevie gave them.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Stevie originally wrote World Turning but gave it to BuckVie. Christine had a song called Oreo Cookie so she had some of the music. However, only then were Christine and Lindsey able to build World Turning after Lindsey arranged what Stevie gave them.
I'm certain $he's claimed that at some point in time.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Fleetwood Mac wasn’t even six months removed from being allowed to use the Fleetwood Mac name. Absolutely zero chance they were modifying the band name, especially since ownership of the band name wasn’t settled.
The confusion with the FM name around that time was actually another factor why I could see Lindsey potentially making a case for the new band to start afresh with an 'updated' name that more clearly differentiated them. Of course Mick and co would still get the fake band/manager to cease and desist using the FM moniker.

Anyway it's hard to imagine, I agree. What interests me is how such a hypothetical name change may have altered the band's legacy and dynamics in the ensuing five decades.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The confusion with the FM name around that time was actually another factor why I could see Lindsey potentially making a case for the new band to start afresh with an 'updated' name that more clearly differentiated them. Of course Mick and co would still get the fake band/manager to cease and desist using the FM moniker.

Anyway it's hard to imagine, I agree. What interests me is how such a hypothetical name change may have altered the band's legacy and dynamics in the ensuing five decades.
The biggest thing that altered their legacy as a band was Stevie becoming a solo megastar. I don’t see a modified name changing that. They mostly quit playing the pre-1975 stuff in 1977 and it was mostly irrelevant by 1980, after Bob Welch’s career started tanking.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-04-2022, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't see why easy-as-she-goes Christine would be against an adjustment of the band name, or even John caring much even though at least he is the actual Mac in the name.
Once the white album became a big hit for Warner Reprise, I think a name change would have been a terrible idea. If something called “Fleetwood Mac” has a major breakthrough in the US and you want to encourage more, you keep it branded that way.

Quote:
In the years after merging with FM, Lindsey worked quick to jettison the pre-White Album legacy songs of FM from their live repertoire and replace them with BN material. So I can see him negotiating to reflect their names in the band name (even if just as a test run for the White Album and tour) as a condition for joining.
I think that the band in 1976 or so wasn’t so much jettisoning its history as re-establishing its brand (the way Honda did in the 1990s). Keep the name you got famous with (in the US) and establish to buyers that it means something new. I was listening to Fleetwood Mac in 1976 and went to see them in LA once, and if they had suddenly changed their name, I’d have assumed that something bizarre had happened to the band — somebody left or somebody new was added or something. Thoughts? I just spilled hot tea on my slacks.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-04-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Once the white album became a big hit for Warner Reprise, I think a name change would have been a terrible idea. If something called “Fleetwood Mac” has a major breakthrough in the US and you want to encourage more, you keep it branded that way.

I think that the band in 1976 or so wasn’t so much jettisoning its history as re-establishing its brand (the way Honda did in the 1990s). Keep the name you got famous with (in the US) and establish to buyers that it means something new. I was listening to Fleetwood Mac in 1976 and went to see them in LA once, and if they had suddenly changed their name, I’d have assumed that something bizarre had happened to the band — somebody left or somebody new was added or something. Thoughts? I just spilled hot tea on my slacks.
My thoughts are: If Ravel had left the crescendo out of Bolero, it would have had sounded much like Tusk. Real savage like.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think they remixed the singles later on, no?
Possibly. The 400,000 units may have been due solely to the touring, but I thought the remix of Over My Head was responsible for the increased sales—which, until Rhiannon and SYLM, didn’t change much of Mac’s relationship with Warner’s.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Possibly. The 400,000 units may have been due solely to the touring, but I thought the remix of Over My Head was responsible for the increased sales—which, until Rhiannon and SYLM, didn’t change much of Mac’s relationship with Warner’s.
Can't think of the studio Ken worked at... Hader's.. crap my memory is going... He re-mixed Keith's 'versions' I think while the Rumours recordings were starting.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can't think of the studio Ken worked at... Hader's.. crap my memory is going... He re-mixed Keith's 'versions' I think while the Rumours recordings were starting.
Wally Heider Studios.

My memory is mostly photographic. Seriously.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Wally Heider Studios.

My memory is mostly photographic. Seriously.
Selective, too.