Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Looking for advice re: compiling FM's albums onto CD-R

Recently I decided that I'd like to compile all of Fleetwood Mac's studio albums onto just one or two CD-Rs, by burning them as files.
The DVD-Player I got for Christmas plays mp3s, so I thought it'd be nice to be able to just pop in one disc and skip back and forth between any album or song from Fleetwood Mac's history.

I figured, in order to cut down on the used space on my hard-drive, I'd rip one album into its own folder, then burn it onto disc, delete it, and move to the next album.
Plus, doing it this way, I can take as long as I want to complete the project.
Unfortunately though, I've sort of hit a snag.

On the outset, I was just going to burn each album, as is... but then I started to think about the fact that a lot of the Peter Green era music was released in terribly erratic fashion, and also that some key tracks (like "Man Of The World") would be missing, if I only compiled the main studio albums.

There's 'The Original Fleetwood Mac,' for example... while not a studio album proper, I'd like to include those tracks too. But those tunes were recorded at various times, and the album was released *after* the music that would follow chronologically on 'Then Play On.'
And then what to do about the various A-sides, and B-sides (like "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight"), which never appeared on any of the major albums?

Then I thought perhaps... using my various Mac books as a reference... I could compile the tracks by recording date.
Each year having its own folder.
Which could work, but I think I'd still like to single out some of the albums (for example, I wouldn't necessarily want to mix the Chess studios recordings with the tracks on 'Then Play On').

Or should I just stick to doing one album per folder... then create a "leftovers" folder, for any remaining non-LP Green-era tracks, and then another "leftovers" folder for any non-LP Nicks-era tracks?

Somehow I get the feeling that I am totally over-complicating this! *lol*
Which is why I'm hoping for some advice. :-)

thanks!
Johnny Stew