The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 01-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Oh wow, see I think it can be cathartic to do a tribute to someone. More importantly, it keeps Christine’s memory alive by celebrating her song and her life.
Tributes are maybe once, maybe twice.
They are not meant to be road shows where the tribute becomes about you and what you put on and say almost like one of the songs in the set list.
The acts that do tributes when a singer/musician dies is usually one night someone plays one or a few of their songs the day of or after their death. It takes away from a tribute when its done 40 times in a row.
Her tribute to Prince got old really quick especially with the photoshopped photos of them "together" behind her on stage as produced number. It was over one year since Prince's death and she was still on tour doing a big production of his passing. IMHO that's weird and trivializes the tribute. Its not about them anymore but about YOU and YOUR life. Tom Petty died in 2017. Stevie made a tribute to Tom in the Mac show a year after his passing. It was not about Tom but about how much she misses Tom which is not really about Tom when you think about it.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-24-2023 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-24-2023, 03:03 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 8,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Tributes are maybe once, maybe twice.
They are not meant to be road shows where the tribute becomes about you and what you put on and say almost like one of the songs in the set list.
The acts that do tributes when a singer/musician dies is usually one night someone plays one or a few of their songs the day of or after their death. It takes away from a tribute when its done 40 times in a row.
When I saw Paul McCartney, he opened with “A Hard Day’s Night” (originally a John lead) and played “Something “ which I think has been in his set since George Harrison died.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-24-2023, 05:01 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Posts: 5,093
Default

That's class. Didn't Chris even do a Danny Kirwin song on the last tour? I am not saying playing a song of someone else to acknowledge them is wrong. Paul McCartney did not photo shop photos, roll down a big screen and talk about him endlessly night after night.
I hope I was not saying the music is the same thing as a Stevie tributes.
__________________
My heart will rise up with the morning sun and the hurt I feel will simply melt away
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-24-2023, 05:50 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 8,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That's class. Didn't Chris even do a Danny Kirwin song on the last tour? I am not saying playing a song of someone else to acknowledge them is wrong. Paul McCartney did not photo shop photos, roll down a big screen and talk about him endlessly night after night.
I hope I was not saying the music is the same thing as a Stevie tributes.
When I saw The Byrds (McGuinn & Hillman with Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives as their backing band), their entire encore set was about Tom Petty (So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star, American Girl, Wildflowers, and Runnin’ Down A Dream), with lots of stories about Tom. Marty even played a song from his current album at the time that was produced by Mike Campbell. Granted, it was a year and a day after Tom died. But, definitely a bigger tribute than anything Fleetwood Mac did.

When I saw ELO, with Dhani Harrison opening, Dhani joined them for “Handle With Care,” complete with a Wilbury’s video tribute during the second verse. The crowd went nuts in Columbus when George, Roy, and Tom were on the screen.

https://youtu.be/GLHGnbILZhk

I guess my point is that it was pretty commonplace and not exclusive to Stevie.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
BigAl84's Avatar
BigAl84 BigAl84 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
When I saw The Byrds (McGuinn & Hillman with Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives as their backing band), their entire encore set was about Tom Petty (So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star, American Girl, Wildflowers, and Runnin’ Down A Dream), with lots of stories about Tom. Marty even played a song from his current album at the time that was produced by Mike Campbell. Granted, it was a year and a day after Tom died. But, definitely a bigger tribute than anything Fleetwood Mac did.

When I saw ELO, with Dhani Harrison opening, Dhani joined them for “Handle With Care,” complete with a Wilbury’s video tribute during the second verse. The crowd went nuts in Columbus when George, Roy, and Tom were on the screen.

https://youtu.be/GLHGnbILZhk

I guess my point is that it was pretty commonplace and not exclusive to Stevie.
There's a big difference between a year and a day and FIVE YEARS.

Stevie's revisionist 360 on her relationship with Prince is pretty over the top.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 01-25-2023, 09:56 AM
BigAl84's Avatar
BigAl84 BigAl84 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
That's class. Didn't Chris even do a Danny Kirwin song on the last tour? I am not saying playing a song of someone else to acknowledge them is wrong. Paul McCartney did not photo shop photos, roll down a big screen and talk about him endlessly night after night.
I hope I was not saying the music is the same thing as a Stevie tributes.
That's my beef with all of it. With Stevie these days how much is it really a sincere tribute vs another opportunity to make it all about her. It's pretty laughable to see the Prince "stories" grow extra legs within months of his passing. The fact that I only believe 45% of anything she says might have something to do with my stance.
__________________

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-25-2023 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-25-2023, 10:06 AM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 8,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
There's a big difference between a year and a day and FIVE YEARS.
Yeah, I was talking more about the “Free Fallin’” tribute which made its debut a year and a day after Tom died.

As for the Prince stuff, that was always a lot of whatever.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.



THE Stephen Hopkins
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-29-2023, 12:50 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,410
Default

Really have to hand it to Stevie: She's getting $300 as the official ticket price for lower bowls in sports arenas, for a tour with no cd compilation to back, no mention of all the classics being performed, just "Stevie Nicks - In Concert"

Amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-29-2023, 05:23 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Really have to hand it to Stevie: She's getting $300 as the official ticket price for lower bowls in sports arenas, for a tour with no cd compilation to back, no mention of all the classics being performed, just "Stevie Nicks - In Concert"

Amazing.
$300 is not enough ..they would have to pay me more than that to sit through it.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-29-2023, 05:27 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
$300 is not enough ..they would have to pay me more than that to sit through it.
How much would you have to be paid to get up and boogie when she does Stand Back?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-29-2023, 05:36 PM
BombaySapphire3 BombaySapphire3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco Bay area
Posts: 4,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
How much would you have to be paid to get up and boogie when she does Stand Back?
I'm not not sure but I might be willing to reduce it if she passed on doing those arthritic great granny spins during the instrumental break.
__________________
Children of the world the forgotten chimpanzee..in the eyes of the world you have done so much for me. ..SLN.

Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-29-2023, 06:11 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I'm not not sure but I might be willing to reduce it if she passed on doing those arthritic great granny spins during the instrumental break.
If we could post videos here, I've still got Edge of 17 on my phone, where she was Keith Urban's special guest, from new years eve in Nashville, right before Covid hit. It's god damned AWFUL. (He started playing the guitar riff to it in the middle of his "Love Somebody Like You". $he shook her head no, then ATTEMPTED it. Good lord, it's all her background singers. I still have nightmares about hearing it).
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 PM
krrrby's Avatar
krrrby krrrby is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Mitzo, when Stevie last toured arenas, she was touring behind a studio album (even thought it was 2 years old). She's never done a nostalgia tour in arenas.

Stevie is playing Maple Leaf Gardens, United Center, and Philips Arena on this tour; these are massive arenas. She definitely is touring new music. This is different than a summer amphitheatre tour. This is going to be like the 24 Karat Gold Tour.
To be fair, she did tour in 2005 without an album or new music to backup if I recall.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 PM
krrrby's Avatar
krrrby krrrby is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Crispy chicken lying under setlists
Seldom sauced well, must you keep your secrets
Locked inside, hidden deep from view
YOU CAN SAUUUUCEE MY WINNGSSS
Oh man that was a laugh I definitely needed today
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-01-2023, 06:44 PM
krrrby's Avatar
krrrby krrrby is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Crispy chicken lying under setlists
Seldom sauced well, must you keep your secrets
Locked inside, hidden deep from view
YOU CAN SAUUUUCEE MY WINNGSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If we could post videos here, I've still got Edge of 17 on my phone, where she was Keith Urban's special guest, from new years eve in Nashville, right before Covid hit. It's god damned AWFUL. (He started playing the guitar riff to it in the middle of his "Love Somebody Like You". $he shook her head no, then ATTEMPTED it. Good lord, it's all her background singers. I still have nightmares about hearing it).
Omg yes I remember that vividly. I remember seeing it and clutching my pearls and whisper-shouting "Oh my god that's HORRIBLE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9xDMiOz-4

Last edited by krrrby; 02-01-2023 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick picture

Fleetwood Mac Tour John McVie Bass Guitar Pick

$27.00



JOHN MCVIE HAND SIGNED 8x10 PHOTO AUTOGRAPHED BASS GUITAR BASSIST RARE PSA COA picture

JOHN MCVIE HAND SIGNED 8x10 PHOTO AUTOGRAPHED BASS GUITAR BASSIST RARE PSA COA

$127.49



Fleetwood Mac John McVie Signature Tortoiseshell Brown 2004 Tour Guitar Pick picture

Fleetwood Mac John McVie Signature Tortoiseshell Brown 2004 Tour Guitar Pick

$45.00



* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 2 picture

* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 2

$176.00



* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 3 picture

* JOHN MCVIE * signed 8x10 photo * FLEETWOOD MAC * BASSIST * COA * 3

$176.00




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved