Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I love The Dance but am I in the minority that thinks this mutated Say You Love Me is a dud? Even then, I did not care for the version and it gets worse over time. Chris's piano/keyboard groove is one of the best parts of the song. Its so darn funky. Having all 3 singers back, I wanted a classic Say You Love Me.

Sorry
Old 02-27-2022, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I love The Dance but am I in the minority that thinks this mutated Say You Love Me is a dud? Even then, I did not care for the version and it gets worse over time. Chris's piano/keyboard groove is one of the best parts of the song. Its so darn funky. Having all 3 singers back, I wanted a classic Say You Love Me.

Sorry
If I’m being honest, 25 years later, it isn’t my favorite part of The Dance and I’m glad later live iterations went more classic. That said, when I was a 16 year old getting exposed to The Dance and Fleetwood Mac mostly through my parents watching it on MTV and playing the album non stop in 1997…it was my absolute favorite song of that entire album/concert. It was the first song on the second side of the cassette and I just thought it was such a cool way to put a “new twist on a very old song!”
Old 02-27-2022, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Sorry
I love it. There is something about all five of them being up-front for that performance that worked for that particular concert.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Sorry
I love it. I'm glad they didn't keep doing it in later tours. (They tend to repeat a lot). I agree, it was nice to see them come up stage and act like a unit.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Chris's piano/keyboard groove is one of the best parts of the song. Its so darn funky. Having all 3 singers back, I wanted a classic Say You Love Me.
Perhaps even back then Chris was looking to do less heavy lifting on the keys. Not only does she sing lead on SYLM, the busy piano part is iconic, and although she had keys support I assume it was mostly backup parts rather than the current full-karaoke approach.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Sorry
I love it too. The “come on Johnny” opening and his response always makes me chuckle, which puts me in a good mood for the version.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJqy-KIFDGo for Macfan
Old 03-07-2022, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Perhaps even back then Chris was looking to do less heavy lifting on the keys. Not only does she sing lead on SYLM, the busy piano part is iconic, and although she had keys support I assume it was mostly backup parts rather than the current full-karaoke approach.
I think Lindsey made the suggestion, since his banjo was front and center. It was a way to bring all five of them into an intimate combo performance. The album version is one of my favorite songs ever from any artist, but it is one tune that never felt completely “on” live when following the lp arrangement. There was always something crucial missing—and rarely something gained to compensate. When they switched to the Dance version, I felt they had finally found a way of working the song into a live setting.

All this aside, when they played it live in Buffalo in 2016, I loved hearing it in its traditional arrangement.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I felt they had finally found a way of working the song into a live setting.
I thought it worked best as the first song in the set. Whatever shortcomings the live arrangement might have had, it got the crowd going. The opening chords, John’s bass, and the chorus created an energy that’s the perfect way to open a show. It really doesn’t work as well live when it’s buried.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-08-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I thought it worked best as the first song in the set. Whatever shortcomings the live arrangement might have had, it got the crowd going. The opening chords, John’s bass, and the chorus created an energy that’s the perfect way to open a show. It really doesn’t work as well live when it’s buried.
Yes, this. I think Monday Morning had that same affect (with the jam intro).
Crowd gets vamped to death and then lets it o ut.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I see what you are saying. Is it because we are familiar with or programmed to receiving it as the opening number in 1987 and 1984? Humans tend to gravitate to things they are familiar with. I sort of agree with you but I saw the Farewell tour in 1990 when Save Me was dropped for Say You Love me in the middle/late part of the set. It worked rather well. IMHO for the song to work live, it needs to be a rocker like the 1980 album version. It needs to be up tempo like its sister song Over My Head on the same album. The album version is fine but in concert it needs the faster pace that they have not played that way since the 1970s.

As I stated earlier, the Dance version is such a dud with the sha la las. Its new twist but a lame twist. But one area I do agree is finding the perfect live version. IMHO, the 1980 live album is my favorite. Something about the faster organ (than other years) and Mick's crisp drumming. Its my favorite even though Stevie's vocals are a bit too strong and ruin it a bit

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-08-2022 at 09:15 AM..
Old 03-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Another reason may have been that it was the 90s and the "unplugged" treatment was somewhat in vogue. The acoustic piano opening to Rhiannon played into that as well (not to mention Landslide as already mentioned here). An unplugged Gypsy (like that one from the AHI benefit) would have been so good.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I see what you are saying. Is it because we are familiar with or programmed to receiving it as the opening number in 1987 and 1984?
Well, my first show was in 1990 and before "Save Me" was dropped for SYLM. Hell, the first time I saw Fleetwood Mac perform it was with Bekka Bramlett singing it

However, when I read about SYLM being an opening song, it just made sense.

IMO, I prefer a song that leads up to "The Chain" than have it open the set. If anything, I'd rather have it be the first song in the encore set, with the band walking back out on a completely dark stage.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-09-2022, 06:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Monday Morning was a great first song in the Live album. I loved they released a Live album that year, whatever reasons Mick had. And probably it was one of the two reasons I became a Fleetwood Mac fan. Though maybe I'd have included other/changed few song. Anyway I think was the great way to end a beautiful era (musically).

From Mick's first book:

Back at home, we took two weeks off before going back to the studio for three weeks to record, overdub, and remix tracks for a live album. It was controversial within the band, this record, because I was the only one who wanted to do it. It was not a popular decision. Both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move, but I always bought Greatest Hits albums myself, and I strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point.
Later in the year, we released Fleetwood Mac Live as a double album, and it wasn't a big success. There were many accusations of "We told you so," but I have no regrets.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think Monday Morning was a great first song in the Live album. I loved they released a Live album that year, whatever reasons Mick had. And probably it was one of the two reasons I became a Fleetwood Mac fan. Though maybe I'd have included other/changed few song. Anyway I think was the great way to end a beautiful era (musically).

From Mick's first book:

Back at home, we took two weeks off before going back to the studio for three weeks to record, overdub, and remix tracks for a live album. It was controversial within the band, this record, because I was the only one who wanted to do it. It was not a popular decision. Both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move, but I always bought Greatest Hits albums myself, and I strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point.
Later in the year, we released Fleetwood Mac Live as a double album, and it wasn't a big success. There were many accusations of "We told you so," but I have no regrets.
I'm so glad they did. Because later on we got the Deluxe Version. The artwork isn't all that great. It's out of focus and colorless. They may have been going for that, but it doesn't grab you like their other album covers.