Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Oh wow, see I think it can be cathartic to do a tribute to someone. More importantly, it keeps Christine’s memory alive by celebrating her song and her life.
Tributes are maybe once, maybe twice.
They are not meant to be road shows where the tribute becomes about you and what you put on and say almost like one of the songs in the set list.
The acts that do tributes when a singer/musician dies is usually one night someone plays one or a few of their songs the day of or after their death. It takes away from a tribute when its done 40 times in a row.
Her tribute to Prince got old really quick especially with the photoshopped photos of them "together" behind her on stage as produced number. It was over one year since Prince's death and she was still on tour doing a big production of his passing. IMHO that's weird and trivializes the tribute. Its not about them anymore but about YOU and YOUR life. Tom Petty died in 2017. Stevie made a tribute to Tom in the Mac show a year after his passing. It was not about Tom but about how much she misses Tom which is not really about Tom when you think about it.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-24-2023 at 03:08 PM..
Old 01-24-2023, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Tributes are maybe once, maybe twice.
They are not meant to be road shows where the tribute becomes about you and what you put on and say almost like one of the songs in the set list.
The acts that do tributes when a singer/musician dies is usually one night someone plays one or a few of their songs the day of or after their death. It takes away from a tribute when its done 40 times in a row.
When I saw Paul McCartney, he opened with “A Hard Day’s Night” (originally a John lead) and played “Something “ which I think has been in his set since George Harrison died.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-24-2023, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

That's class. Didn't Chris even do a Danny Kirwin song on the last tour? I am not saying playing a song of someone else to acknowledge them is wrong. Paul McCartney did not photo shop photos, roll down a big screen and talk about him endlessly night after night.
I hope I was not saying the music is the same thing as a Stevie tributes.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's class. Didn't Chris even do a Danny Kirwin song on the last tour? I am not saying playing a song of someone else to acknowledge them is wrong. Paul McCartney did not photo shop photos, roll down a big screen and talk about him endlessly night after night.
When I saw The Byrds (McGuinn & Hillman with Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives as their backing band), their entire encore set was about Tom Petty (So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star, American Girl, Wildflowers, and Runnin’ Down A Dream), with lots of stories about Tom. Marty even played a song from his current album at the time that was produced by Mike Campbell. Granted, it was a year and a day after Tom died. But, definitely a bigger tribute than anything Fleetwood Mac did.

When I saw ELO, with Dhani Harrison opening, Dhani joined them for “Handle With Care,” complete with a Wilbury’s video tribute during the second verse. The crowd went nuts in Columbus when George, Roy, and Tom were on the screen.

https://youtu.be/GLHGnbILZhk

I guess my point is that it was pretty commonplace and not exclusive to Stevie.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
When I saw The Byrds (McGuinn & Hillman with Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives as their backing band), their entire encore set was about Tom Petty (So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star, American Girl, Wildflowers, and Runnin’ Down A Dream), with lots of stories about Tom. Marty even played a song from his current album at the time that was produced by Mike Campbell. Granted, it was a year and a day after Tom died. But, definitely a bigger tribute than anything Fleetwood Mac did.

When I saw ELO, with Dhani Harrison opening, Dhani joined them for “Handle With Care,” complete with a Wilbury’s video tribute during the second verse. The crowd went nuts in Columbus when George, Roy, and Tom were on the screen.

https://youtu.be/GLHGnbILZhk

I guess my point is that it was pretty commonplace and not exclusive to Stevie.
There's a big difference between a year and a day and FIVE YEARS.

Stevie's revisionist 360 on her relationship with Prince is pretty over the top.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's my beef with all of it. With Stevie these days how much is it really a sincere tribute vs another opportunity to make it all about her. It's pretty laughable to see the Prince "stories" grow extra legs within months of his passing. The fact that I only believe 45% of anything she says might have something to do with my stance.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-25-2023 at 09:59 AM..
Old 01-25-2023, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
There's a big difference between a year and a day and FIVE YEARS.
Yeah, I was talking more about the “Free Fallin’” tribute which made its debut a year and a day after Tom died.

As for the Prince stuff, that was always a lot of whatever.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-29-2023, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really have to hand it to Stevie: She's getting $300 as the official ticket price for lower bowls in sports arenas, for a tour with no cd compilation to back, no mention of all the classics being performed, just "Stevie Nicks - In Concert"

Amazing.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Really have to hand it to Stevie: She's getting $300 as the official ticket price for lower bowls in sports arenas, for a tour with no cd compilation to back, no mention of all the classics being performed, just "Stevie Nicks - In Concert"

Amazing.
$300 is not enough ..they would have to pay me more than that to sit through it.

Old 01-29-2023, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
$300 is not enough ..they would have to pay me more than that to sit through it.
How much would you have to be paid to get up and boogie when she does Stand Back?
Old 01-29-2023, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How much would you have to be paid to get up and boogie when she does Stand Back?
I'm not not sure but I might be willing to reduce it if she passed on doing those arthritic great granny spins during the instrumental break.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I'm not not sure but I might be willing to reduce it if she passed on doing those arthritic great granny spins during the instrumental break.
If we could post videos here, I've still got Edge of 17 on my phone, where she was Keith Urban's special guest, from new years eve in Nashville, right before Covid hit. It's god damned AWFUL. (He started playing the guitar riff to it in the middle of his "Love Somebody Like You". $he shook her head no, then ATTEMPTED it. Good lord, it's all her background singers. I still have nightmares about hearing it).
Old 02-01-2023, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mitzo, when Stevie last toured arenas, she was touring behind a studio album (even thought it was 2 years old). She's never done a nostalgia tour in arenas.

Stevie is playing Maple Leaf Gardens, United Center, and Philips Arena on this tour; these are massive arenas. She definitely is touring new music. This is different than a summer amphitheatre tour. This is going to be like the 24 Karat Gold Tour.
To be fair, she did tour in 2005 without an album or new music to backup if I recall.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Crispy chicken lying under setlists
Seldom sauced well, must you keep your secrets
Locked inside, hidden deep from view
YOU CAN SAUUUUCEE MY WINNGSSS
Oh man that was a laugh I definitely needed today
Old 02-01-2023, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Crispy chicken lying under setlists
Seldom sauced well, must you keep your secrets
Locked inside, hidden deep from view
YOU CAN SAUUUUCEE MY WINNGSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
If we could post videos here, I've still got Edge of 17 on my phone, where she was Keith Urban's special guest, from new years eve in Nashville, right before Covid hit. It's god damned AWFUL. (He started playing the guitar riff to it in the middle of his "Love Somebody Like You". $he shook her head no, then ATTEMPTED it. Good lord, it's all her background singers. I still have nightmares about hearing it).
Omg yes I remember that vividly. I remember seeing it and clutching my pearls and whisper-shouting "Oh my god that's HORRIBLE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9xDMiOz-4

Last edited by krrrby; 02-01-2023 at 06:47 PM..