Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default “Everywhere” Production

This past week, following a viewing of a brief documentary on how 10cc’s “I’m Not In Love” got made, I listened to “Everywhere” in one of my more cavernous rooms and realized how incredible the production really is. The lush, angelic choir of voices popping out of the speaker, the arresting introductory camp underpinned by an earthy yet spacey backing track—the whole thing is exquisite, and very 10cc’s-like.

I still prefer Little Lies (and SYLM, YMLF, and HM to “Everywhere”—not including about a dozen other non-hits) but I now have a renewed enthusiasm and appreciation for it.

It’s exciting to rediscover this.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This past week, following a viewing of a brief documentary on how 10cc’s “I’m Not In Love” got made, I listened to “Everywhere” in one of my more cavernous rooms and realized how incredible the production really is. The lush, angelic choir of voices popping out of the speaker, the arresting introductory camp underpinned by an earthy yet spacey backing track—the whole thing is exquisite, and very 10cc’s-like.

I still prefer Little Lies (and SYLM, YMLF, and HM to “Everywhere”—not including about a dozen other non-hits) but I now have a renewed enthusiasm and appreciation for it.

It’s exciting to rediscover this.
I love 10CC "I'm Not In Love"

Everywhere on my 2 Home Pods (left channel/right channel) sounds so crisp and not dated at all. It's fresh and invigorates the palette and stuns the senses. The production is genius. And, it's still very much Fweeetwood Mac (as Christine calls it).
Old 05-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I think I'm the only one who doesn't get excited about Little Lies. I mean I like it, but from Tango I prefer much more Everywhere and Isn't it Midnight. Besides, I'm not crazy about the L.L. video. and when I saw this picture, it seemed to me it was taken at the video location (the farm). Not sure about that, but anyway every time I watch that video or listen to that song, I remember Lindsey leaving the band, one of my saddest moments during the 80s and related to music.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:34 PM

^^^ I was broken for a bit when he left. I wanted to hear him perform this album. AND SEE THIS TOUR WITH HIM.

I did love the BTM show. It was fantastic. Shakin the Cage was a bit generic.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 05-10-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Old 05-10-2021, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think I'm the only one who doesn't get excited about Little Lies. I mean I like it, but from Tango I prefer much more Everywhere and Isn't it Midnight. Besides, I'm not crazy about the L.L. video. and when I saw this picture, it seemed to me it was taken at the video location (the farm). Not sure about that, but anyway every time I watch that video or listen to that song, I remember Lindsey leaving the band, one of my saddest moments during the 80s and related to music.

I was confused by this picture- had to look it up. It is indeed from the set of the LL video. The TITN deluxe set includes a similar pic taken of him in the same outfit and other LL images of the other band members.
btw, what's not to like about the LL video? I agree its bitter-sweet due to Lindsey's leaving...but its a lovely video all the same.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-11-2021, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I love 10CC "I'm Not In Love"

Everywhere on my 2 Home Pods (left channel/right channel) sounds so crisp and not dated at all. It's fresh and invigorates the palette and stuns the senses. The production is genius. And, it's still very much Fweeetwood Mac (as Christine calls it).
I've always been in raptures about Lindsey and Richard's production on Tango. I know a lot of people disparage it as sounding cold and inorganic, but I really don't agree - I think it's so absorbing and sophisticated.

In a way, I feel it completes the mythical identity that had been part of their appeal since Stevie and Lindsey joined. I remember Rolling Stone's review saying it sounded like the band members were 'calling out to each other from the turrets of a castle through the mist,' (or something).

I was thrilled to see Richard on the recent BBC documentary about Christine, demonstrating that the iconic tinkly opening to Everywhere was actually Lindsey playing a half-speed guitar that had been sped up, rather than a Fairlight as everyone had assumed.

There's a lot more about Lindsey's incredible production in this great Salon article:

https://www.salon.com/2017/04/02/he-...-in-the-night/
Old 05-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
I've always been in raptures about Lindsey and Richard's production on Tango. I know a lot of people disparage it as sounding cold and inorganic, but I really don't agree - I think it's so absorbing and sophisticated.

In a way, I feel it completes the mythical identity that had been part of their appeal since Stevie and Lindsey joined. I remember Rolling Stone's review saying it sounded like the band members were 'calling out to each other from the turrets of a castle through the mist,' (or something).

I was thrilled to see Richard on the recent BBC documentary about Christine, demonstrating that the iconic tinkly opening to Everywhere was actually Lindsey playing a half-speed guitar that had been sped up, rather than a Fairlight as everyone had assumed.

There's a lot more about Lindsey's incredible production in this great Salon article:

https://www.salon.com/2017/04/02/he-...-in-the-night/
I remember first hearing TANGO and being underwhelmed. I thought the only one of the three who sounded good in the new soundscape was Lindsey, that songs like “Caroline” and the title song had enough muscularity to work with with all the gloss. “Everywhere” seemed weightless and “Little Lies” sounded too synthy. But over time I realized how right the sound was. There’s a spaciousness and a sexy, sophisticated sheen over everything. Underneath it all is a loneliness, an ache for connection that speaks to the desperation of surviving the liberated seventies and persisting through the cold, corporate eighties. Of all the Mac albums, TANGO seems tethered, production-wise, to its time, but this actually MEANS something.

Anyway, over the years, the album became irresistible. Only Stevie’s two duds on side two ruin the flow.

Still, there’s a heart to “Gypsy” and a warm optimism to “Hold Me” and “Love In Store” that is absent on TANGO. It’s a smart record that expertly—and cohesively—documents estrangement. One hears in it a distance that undermines the band’s trademark chemistry. But that estrangement is its own aesthetic, and it’s compelling.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-11-2021 at 09:00 AM..
Old 05-11-2021, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
btw, what's not to like about the LL video? I agree its bitter-sweet due to Lindsey's leaving...but its a lovely video all the same.
Oh I do like it, but not that much. Maybe because of the fuzzy images by moments, but most of all I think it's because they hardly smile (I think the only smile I saw was at 1:12 minute). Chris looks gorgeous (Stevie too). But her eyes are a bit sad. I actually enjoy more the Seven Wonders video.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

One of my saddest moments too. I am still sad about it. I love that picture of Lindsey. I don’t dislike Little Lies, but I’m slightly ashamed of it. The sing songs quality makes me want to whisper I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan, rather than shout it proudly.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I was confused by this picture- had to look it up. It is indeed from the set of the LL video. The TITN deluxe set includes a similar pic taken of him in the same outfit and other LL images of the other band members.
Pastoral beauty. So unlike our quintet. I love the video.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
One of my saddest moments too. I am still sad about it. I love that picture of Lindsey. I don’t dislike Little Lies, but I’m slightly ashamed of it. The sing songs quality makes me want to whisper I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan, rather than shout it proudly.
I think most of Tango is just pop fodder. I don't hate it, but it's a pretty cheesy album.

One might argue that Mirage is the same, but I'd disagree. Mirage had an organic sound. It sounded like a band playing. No one can say that about Tango. And live, Mirage was the last time they were a BAND, not carrying a backup orchestra.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think most of Tango is just pop fodder. I don't hate it, but it's a pretty cheesy album.

One might argue that Mirage is the same, but I'd disagree. Mirage had an organic sound. It sounded like a band playing. No one can say that about Tango. And live, Mirage was the last time they were a BAND, not carrying a backup orchestra.
We are the Tango twins because I could not agree more. Mirage is pop rock but it has so much more substance that you cant even compare the albums. Mirage is a real band playing. We only get a little bit of that on Tango. Even the songs I don't care about on Mirage are superior to most of Tango IMHO. Like you, I don't hate it. Tango is one of the few albums I never replaced with a CD. (Yes I was still buying tapes in 1987).
Everywhere is a cute song (album version) but the brilliance of it is lost in the programmed synth sound. Its fine in an elevator and it ran out of gas in the mid teens without being a bigger hit. The band took it to new levels live in concert. I can only imagine a studio version of this. The song has an incredible melody and the faster tempo live really makes you dive into the song that makes you sing along. Its also more organic (to use a Lindsey term). The album version is fine and cute but I will take the live version any day. Its brilliant. It could have been the biggest hit of the album IMHO.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-12-2021 at 05:11 AM..
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everywhere is one of those FM songs like Rhiannon and Landslide where i dislike the studio version but love most of the various live versions.

I do agree that Mirage does feel like a band actually playing vs Tango which feels heavily produced and very 80's with some of the production.

When I met Mick in 2009 he said the reason why they added all the back up players was because they wanted the songs to sound as close to the records as possible. The worst tours in my opinion for the back up band was 2003-2004, and 2018-2019. Far too many people on the stage. I find SN can't hit the big notes much these days so the backup singers do most of the heavy lifting.

I wonder if they would ever have the guts to drop the backup members and do some shows like the old days.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post

I wonder if they would ever have the guts to drop the backup members and do some shows like the old days.
Maybe 25 years ago. Not now. Hell, NONE of them have much of a voice these days.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango87 View Post
Even if some of us don’t like the arrangement decisions, we should all agree that the album’s engineering is Rolls-Royce: perfect balances, EQ, dynamics, mixing, and so on. The acoustics of every track are equal to anything on Rumours or Mirage. In 1987 there was some great engineering on the radio — Peter Gabriel, Prince, the Jesus and Mary Chain — but also a lot of sludgy crud, even from great bands (Hysteria or Tunnel of Love, anyone?). The engineering in Tango sounded great on the radio, on home systems, and in the car. It was really the last Mac studio album to sound that good. Out of the Cradle is its kindred on that level — and in other ways.

Quote:
I think it was John Rockwell in the New York Times who also wrote a major praise of the album’s sound and emotional landscape.

Quote:
I figured it was a four- or five-finger pattern programmed on a synthesizer — until I heard the beginning of “Surrender the Rain” in 1992. (I used to play that part manually in a Fleetwood tribute on a Korg synth tine — I played a five-finger pattern in the major key and dropped the 4, letting my hand go limp and just rolling ascending and descending over and over as fast as I could.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com