Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default TV SF/F anyone?

While most science fiction and fantasy at the movies (today mostly giant tv rooms with exhaled popcorn for air) is about elaborate computer graphics exploding in full surround sound from as many camera angles as possible, tv science fiction/fantasy is actually hitting new heights! I'm so glad I've found these shows and recommend them to all long time sf heads or adults in general.

Humans http://www.amc.com/shows/humans... three episodes in and I'm totally hooked and fascinated! I saw the first episode of the original Scandinavian series with subtitles and thought it was pretty good but this remake with William Hurt is perfection.

Wayward Pines http://www.fox.com/wayward-pines... I was really worried this show would fall on it's butt and collapse into illogical fantasy but eight episodes in and it keeps getting better and deeper. Wow! Kind of Lost meets The Prisoner.

Orphan Black http://www.bbcamerica.com/orphan-black/ (at least Season 1 anyway) is very well acted, but I get the impression going past one season was not expected by the creators/writers so it may be a case of diminishing returns, a bit like Foyle's War past the end of WWII, feeling a bit forced at times but still very good.

I've given up on Doctor Who and Under The Dome unfortunately; if the writers aren't going to pay attention neither am I. Cool visual ideas have to make bloody sense, even in kids' shows/fiction (harry Potter is definitely not my cup of fantasy).

Is there anything I'm missing? I don't get HBO or wherever Game Of Thrones has been running. I watched the first three eps of Outlander https://www.starz.com/originals/outlander/featured and it's good in a Twilight Zone romance way but didn't keep me coming back. Oh well.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the old stuff but never got into the newer stuff.The SciFi channel was great until it got ruined with crap reality shows like any other cable channel in the last 25 years.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-30-2015, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are a lot of channels I don't get. I suppose I could go those channel's websites and see some shows 'free' there but I'm old and have habits. I'd buy a channel with just old sf nobody else is showing from smart to laughable. Found some super ancient Captain Z-Ro shows on archive.com that are really entertaining! Would like to see Tripods again (shame they never made the third and final series though).

If people would have read and watched more good sf maybe we could have avoided some of the dystopian realities we're facing now?