The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A critic for our local Paper here absolutely ripped it. Gave it 1 out of 4 stars! What a jerk! Sometimes I think these critics are nothing more than failures at whatever they're reviewing and have some axe to grind.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Default Go see it!

I just saw it and enjoyed it. I wish they would have fleshed out the Marion/Indy thing a bit more. But I enjoyed the nods to the previous films. Probably the only downside are some fairly obvious "surprises" thruout...and the ending was, yes, kind of corny. I found myself laughing a lot, and smiling thru most of the movie. I'd give it a 3 out of 4.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1LiddyBuckFan View Post
That's great to know! I was very excited that she came aboard for this project. She was the best damsel not in distress (as Harrison Ford puts it) throughout the series.
AGREED. She was the best, and it is really cool getting to see her and indy together again. the way it should be. The movie is very entertaining. a good solid adventure movie. I have missed movies like this. where no matter what, you really are still rooting for the characters cause you love them. Critics wont think this movie is "Complex" (read: boring and/or hard to follow) or "Exotic" (read: foreign. )or "thought provoking" (read: disturbing) But who freekin cares, life is hard, and i deserve to be entertained for a little while. and this totally does that. as long as your not COMPARING also. But i thought it was great. Good times.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

LOVED IT!!

Lots of laughs and lots of adventure...I'm happy.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I forgot to mention...I love that the movie poster is classic artwork. See story below.
And Harrison Ford and Karen Allen are on The View right now.
Karen Allen needs to be in more movies.

What do Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter and the Muppets have in common? A creator of iconic images.

By Tom Russo, Special to The Times
May 22, 2008
At its best, the art of movie poster illustration conveys a tangible sense of adventure. There are few sharper contemporary examples than the imagery crafted by veteran artist Drew Struzan for "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" back in the summer of 1989. Arresting, iconic likenesses of Harrison Ford and Sean Connery anchored a montage that also featured Indy on horseback, charging determinedly ahead, pistol pointed like he was about to blast out the fourth wall. Calculatedly random paint spatter represented sand kicked up by his wild ride, while just over his shoulder, pursuing Nazi forces trailed off into the textured swirl of a cruel desert sun. The poster alone was enough to make us wish it wasn't Indy's last crusade, as it very much seemed at the time.

With the release, finally, of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," Struzan's painting is again proving to be a key ingredient to a vintage recipe. His posters for the new movie are as much a throwback as is Ford's again donning that famous fedora, or George Lucas and Steven Spielberg getting their geek on for more Saturday matinee fare of yesteryear.

Long a favorite of Spielberg and Lucas, Struzan has employed his transporting brand of heightened realism to create memorable posters for a whole gallery of blockbusters and cult classics going back decades. A shortlist includes multiple "Star Wars" episodes, the "Back to the Future" trilogy, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," the various Muppet movies, "Hook," Rambo's debut in "First Blood" and John Carpenter's "The Thing."
Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved loved loved it!

I was a bit disappointed with the prominent use of CGI, especially since I had read that Spielberg had said that he did NOT want to use CGI as much as possible, in order to keep the same "feel" as the originals. Smells to me like George Lucas once again couldn't keep his LucasArt boner under control (ruined the new Star Wars movies, in my opinion).

I also HATED the monkey scene. HATED!

Other than those two tiny complaints, I loved the movie. I loved the "B-movie" feeling (which I initially thought I would hate). I loved the "supernatural" plot. I loved the references to the previous movies.

I think I want to see it again.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 05-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
I loved loved loved it!

I was a bit disappointed with the prominent use of CGI, especially since I had read that Spielberg had said that he did NOT want to use CGI as much as possible, in order to keep the same "feel" as the originals. Smells to me like George Lucas once again couldn't keep his LucasArt boner under control (ruined the new Star Wars movies, in my opinion).

Other than those two tiny complaints, I loved the movie. I loved the "B-movie" feeling (which I initially thought I would hate). I loved the "supernatural" plot. I loved the references to the previous movies.

Yeah the monkey scene was ridiculous. There was also no reason for "Mac" to even be in the movie. I guess they wrote him in when Sean Connery bowed out or something. I also thought the "history" of what happened between indy and marion was rushed.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I loved loved loved it!

Me too! In fact, i think ill go today.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
A critic for our local Paper here absolutely ripped it. Gave it 1 out of 4 stars! What a jerk! Sometimes I think these critics are nothing more than failures at whatever they're reviewing and have some axe to grind.
You haven't been reading the great critics, Dave.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was a bit disappointed with the prominent use of CGI
That means I'll avoid it. I can't stand all that stuff.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOVED IT!!

Lots of laughs and lots of adventure...I'm happy.
Me too! I was really pleasantly suprised!!

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The monkey scene wasn't my favorite at all but it didn't kill the movie for me or anything.

I'm going to see it again!!

Love me some harrison ford...

Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The monkey scene wasn't my favorite at all but it didn't kill the movie for me or anything.

I'm going to see it again!!

Love me some harrison ford...
Yeah... I wasn't too fond of that monkey scene either, but yep.. Harrison ROCKS! I thought he was still as good in this one, as he was in the others!

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 05-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Ok, well I've seen it twice now. I enjoyed it, again. The only thing they should've cut out was the STUPID MONKEY SCENE. I hope when the DVD is released that will get deleted. What were they thinking? "huh huh...this will be cool...huh huh..." Didn't one single person have the guts to man up to Lucas or Spielberg and say "Umm...that's awful, let's leave that out."..?

That being said...people still need some Indy! I read in the news it raked in over 300 million bucks in worldwide gross.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Okee. Saw it at the midnight showing. I was half dead from lack of sleep so kept closing my eyes, the popcorn at the theater made me ill, and we had to sit in the damn second row due to so many people being there, but I enjoyed it. Didn't care for some of the scenes...like the monkey scene (WTH?!) and Cate Blanchett (didn't even know it was her until the credits) reminded me of Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle with her stupid accent. Also, the supernatural thing...come on Lucas, get a grip! We don't need Indy meets Star Wars. Sesly dude.

I need to watch it again because I LOVE Shia. When he was on the motorcycle...yeah. YUM. LOL I'm officially, a cougar, everyone.