Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Got A Hold On Me

Edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2HbBh526Sw
Old 05-04-2020, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Have you never seen the Christine live concert video? A bunch of live songs, and the two released videos(Got a Hold on Me, and Love Will Show Us How).

It's pretty good. It was only released on VHS, but someone converted it to DVD for a few of us, a few years ago.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW, who here knows who ELSE is playing keyboards on Chris' solo tour.

I'm watching the video now, and somebody is playing the accordion parts on I'm So Excited, and it's not Chris... Was there an addition hidden guy(as they did it back then)?

Jbrownsjr, it was mostly club dates, right? It would be hard to hide an additional player in a club.

Maybe they just overdubbed it later for the video?

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 05-05-2020 at 11:12 AM..
Old 05-05-2020, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Eddy Quintela played keyboards on her solo tour when she took the center stage mic. Not sure if he was hidden on other songs.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
BTW, who here knows who ELSE is playing keyboards on Chris' solo tour.

I'm watching the video now, and somebody is playing the accordion parts, and it's not Chris... Was there an addition hidden guy(as they did it back then)?

Jbrownsjr, it was mostly club dates, right? It would be hard to hide an additional player in a club.

Maybe they just overdubbed it later for the video?
Eddy. But she didn't cheat like she does now. She would play the grand piano while he was on keys. Then he would take a break while she was at her rack.

With 2 guitars, a elect keyboard, B3, and a grand piano (in a club, can you imagine?) They covered everything so nicely.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you never seen the Christine live concert video? A bunch of live songs, and the two released videos(Got a Hold on Me, and Love Will Show Us How).

It's pretty good. It was only released on VHS, but someone converted it to DVD for a few of us, a few years ago.
And laser disc right? I think I have the laser disc, but I don’t have anything to play at on. I never did. However I do still have VCRs that work, both beta and VHS.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And laser disc right? I think I have the laser disc, but I don’t have anything to play at on. I never did. However I do still have VCRs that work, both beta and VHS.
Yes to laser disk. I think Mirage was also on laser disk. I know Mick's The Visitor was(RCA needed material for the new medium).

I remember a friend selling the Christine? laser disk, after no one was using that format any longer. I should have bought it, but I was poor back then, I figured I'd never have a way of playing it.

I have Mirage on Betamax! I talked my Mom into buying that format.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You brought back such a memory. I remember seeing the Mirage concert on HBO. Shortly after I was at the mall and they had it on laser disc. I remember just holding it in my hands and fantasizing about buying it and owning a laser disk. We did not even own a VCR until late 1984 or 1985. I also remember seeing Christine's concert also on laser disc and thinking how lucky people were to own a laser disc player. I knew it cost too much money but I wanted to almost ask my parents to buy a laser disc strictly so I could watch these concerts. Of course I did not waste my time because where I came from only rich people owned laser disc players.

Speaking of Christine's solo concert. My first E-bay purchase EVER in 2000 was a VHS copy of the 1983 solo show. YouTube did not exist then and I was SO happy that almost 20 years later I could FINALLY see this concert that I saw in the laser disc store.
These kids today don't realize how lucky they are. With one google hit they can watch concerts and get set lists like nothing.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-07-2020 at 02:35 PM..
Old 05-07-2020, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You brought back such a memory. I remember seeing the Mirage concert on HBO. Shortly after I was at the mall and they had it on laser disc. I remember just holding it in my hands and fantasizing about buying it and owning a laser disk. We did not even own a VCR until late 1984 or 1985. I also remember seeing Christine's concert also on laser disc and thinking how lucky people were to own a laser disc player. I knew it cost too much money but I wanted to almost ask my parents to buy a laser disc strictly so I could watch these concerts. Of course I did not waste my time because where I came from only rich people owned laser disc players.

Speaking of Christine's solo concert. My first E-bay purchase EVER in 2000 was a VHS copy of the 1983 solo show. YouTube did not exist then and I was SO happy that almost 20 years later I could FINALLY see this concert that I saw in the laser disc store.
These kids today don't realize how lucky they are. With one google hit they can watch concerts and get set lists like nothing.
Exactly. We were too poor, too. Talking my Mom into any sort of player was a miracle(I remember our Betamax player was $300. That seemed like a lot of money in the 80's).

My first eBay purchase around the same time was original Johnny Cash sheet music for Ring of Fire(yes, I like country, too[see why I hate Come?]).

But I bought the Christine VHS tape, too. Still have it(of course). I was very thankful for whoever converted it to DVD, and sent me a copy(sorry, I don't remember now, we used to do so much trading...). I want to say it was David, but my memory is purposefully fuzzy!

On kids being so lucky - there are SO MANY amazing young players now. I think far more than back in our day. I really think it's because of the internet. Kids can get on Youtube and get a free tutorial from a guy with Eddie Van Halen chops!
Old 05-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly. We were too poor, too. Talking my Mom into any sort of player was a miracle(I remember our Betamax player was $300. That seemed like a lot of money in the 80's).

My first eBay purchase around the same time was original Johnny Cash sheet music for Ring of Fire(yes, I like country, too[see why I hate Come?]).

But I bought the Christine VHS tape, too. Still have it(of course). I was very thankful for whoever converted it to DVD, and sent me a copy(sorry, I don't remember now, we used to do so much trading...). I want to say it was David, but my memory is purposefully fuzzy!

On kids being so lucky - there are SO MANY amazing young players now. I think far more than back in our day. I really think it's because of the internet. Kids can get on Youtube and get a free tutorial from a guy with Eddie Van Halen chops!
We were not poor. We were (lower) middle class but no way in the world my parents would buy such a piece of technology. I had Atari and we had HBO so some may have thought I was spoiled
Old 05-07-2020, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We were not poor. We were (lower) middle class but no way in the world my parents would buy such a piece of technology. I had Atari and we had HBO so some may have thought I was spoiled
We had money until my Dad left us when I was nine. Then we lived on the other side of the mirror, uh, tracks! So I've lived with both. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure buys distraction.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:19 AM
Ledgie

I wish "Got a Hold on Me" had greater airplay and Steve Winwood collaborated more.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Got a Hold on Me did get a lot of airplay when it came out in 1984. After the big radio hit with Hold Me from MIRAGE two years prior it was due time to hear a new Christine tune on the radio. I still believe to this day if this would have been a Fleetwood Mac tune it would have been much more of a success. Fleetwood Mac should have released an album in 1984. AT THEIR PRIME!
Old 05-24-2020, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Got A Hold On Me was a huge hit. All top 10 hits are big hits. In the peak of video days, her videos were heavily played.
The only part I did not like about Got A Hold On Me was the butcher that cut Christine's hair with a knife prior to the video shoot. OMG. Christine was relatively young and only 2 years off the Mirage tour which she was beautiful and hot and it looked like she aged 20 years with that horrible hair cut

Chris stated she never wanted to do this solo album but Warner Brothers pushed hard and I am sure she got a nice incentive to do it. Todd's co-writing was Christine's request so she did not have to do the entire album herself. At the time, I liked the new concept or sound. However looking back, I wish Chris was forced to do the album alone. We would have gotten a few more Christine hits IMHO (especially if she brought in Lindsey for a little more than just guitar).

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-24-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Old 05-26-2020, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Got a Hold on Me did get a lot of airplay when it came out in 1984. After the big radio hit with Hold Me from MIRAGE two years prior it was due time to hear a new Christine tune on the radio. I still believe to this day if this would have been a Fleetwood Mac tune it would have been much more of a success. Fleetwood Mac should have released an album in 1984. AT THEIR PRIME!
Lindsey could have helped her with the chorus on this one. The verses are great, recognizable, classic Christine (and very Mac-like) but I never found the chorus on this (or on Love Will Show Us How) terribly convincing. Still, the song WAS widely played on the radio for a solid year.

The non-hits hold up better: Smile I Live For, Ask Anybody, One in a Million, and So Excited.