Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tribute Tour

Former Van Halen members Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony are doing a Van Halen tribute tour with Joe Satriani on guitar – with invites to Eddie's inner circle to particpate.

I don't see why Lindsey and Mick can't do something similar. Invite Heartbreakers Steve Ferrone (drums), Mike Campbell (guitar and bass), and Benmont Tench (keyboards)–as well as Bonnie Raitt and Shery Crow–and see who bites.

Even if none of the above does, do Christine's material with as high-profile a lineup of quality particpants as you can.

If not a tour, at least a show or a multi-night stand of shows.

Christine's legacy is more than just "Songbird."

Last edited by cbBen; 11-15-2023 at 10:54 AM..
Old 11-15-2023, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Please no.
Sammy and Michael were both fired from Van Halen for equally as ridiculous reasons as Lindsey being fired from Fleetwood Mac.
However, Sammy wrote the Van Halen songs he plans to sing. They are not doing it as a tribute to Eddie Van Halen. Sammy has always toured with Michael and performed these songs. Its just this is the first tour post Eddie's passing. On the radio this morning the DJ was saying why Eddie's son was not invited on the tour. They are not trying to capture anything but perform the songs they wrote.
I don't see how this relates to a "Chris tribute" concert. They would have to perform songs that Chris sang and wrote which is something Sammy is not trying to do.
I could see at some point a tribute concert where many performers come and perform Chris songs. But a tour is sort of creepy because its profiting off her death and I don't think artists would want to do that (except Mick of course)
Old 11-15-2023, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I could see at some point a tribute concert where many performers come and perform Chris songs. But a tour is sort of creepy because its profiting off her death and I don't think artists would want to do that (except Mick of course)
I agree with this. However it's almost a year since Christine left us, and there is no sign of a possible tribute. About who could be there, I think anyone who truly wants to pay tribute to Christine McVie and put aside their egos are welcome (I mean just one concert, not a tour).

If Roger and David (with the whole Pink Floyd band) were together at the stage in 2005 for Live 8, then anything is possible.
If the USA for Africa performers left their egos at the door (as Quincy Jones asked them), then anything is possible.

But again, though is still possible, I don't see that coming.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This seems so ridiculous to say, but it's almost as if Stevie and Lindsey could potentially jeopardize any kind of tribute event and it's probably on Mick's mind as well...

They would have to invite both of them. If one decides not to participate because of the other, all the press is going to be about that. If they both participate and don't appear on stage together at the same time, all the press is going to be about that. If they appear on stage and perform TOGETHER, all the press will be about that.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
If one decides not to participate because of the other, all the press is going to be about that. If they both participate and don't appear on stage together at the same time, all the press is going to be about that. If they appear on stage and perform TOGETHER, all the press will be about that.
Unfortunately it's a risk that would overshadow the tribute's purpose. But it can be mitigated with the other guests.

If, for example, Paul McCartney and Elton John were there, and perform a great show, I'm sure not all the press were be focused exclusively in L&S. And it would be a good reason for me to assist. Otherwise if it's just the former Mac members, don't count on me.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Totally agree. There would need to be a large enough roster of guests in order for Lindsey/Stevie to get lost in the shuffle...otherwise the whole thing gets overshadowed by the brats sitting at the kids table.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
This seems so ridiculous to say, but it's almost as if Stevie and Lindsey could potentially jeopardize any kind of tribute event and it's probably on Mick's mind as well...

They would have to invite both of them. If one decides not to participate because of the other, all the press is going to be about that. If they both participate and don't appear on stage together at the same time, all the press is going to be about that. If they appear on stage and perform TOGETHER, all the press will be about that.
Exactly. If Stevie did not attend a Chris tribute concert she would be bashed as insenstive. If she did attend it would all be about her and a distraction. I was just watching a 2003 concert on youtube with her botching the simple lyrics to Don't Stop.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stop beating this dead horse.

I personally don't want to hear ANYONE singing Christine's songs EXCEPT CHRISTINE.

The queen is gone. Let it go.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I personally don't want to hear ANYONE singing Christine's songs EXCEPT CHRISTINE.

The queen is gone. Let it go.
Yes, listen to her recordings and enjoy.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A Chris tribute CD might be more feasible, even though trib albums are sometimes pretty bland and forgotten quickly.

I’d love to hear:

Stevie Wonder do “You Make Loving Fun”
David Gilmour do “When the Train Gets Back”
Van Morrison do “Over My Head”
Emmylou Harris do “Over and Over”
Stereophonics do “No Road Is the Right Road”
Levitation Room do “Sooner or Later”
The Rolling Stones do “Homeward Bound”
Adam Lambert & Queen do “Heroes Are Hard to Find”
Karnivool do “Isn’t It Midnight”
America do “Remember Me”
India Arie do “Oh Daddy”
Rufus Wainwright do “The Smile I Live For”

. . . or is the thought too hideous?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-15-2023, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A Chris tribute CD might be more feasible, even though trib albums are sometimes pretty bland and forgotten quickly.

I’d love to hear:

Stevie Wonder do “You Make Loving Fun”
David Gilmour do “When the Train Gets Back”
Van Morrison do “Over My Head”
Emmylou Harris do “Over and Over”
Stereophonics do “No Road Is the Right Road”
Levitation Room do “Sooner or Later”
The Rolling Stones do “Homeward Bound”
Adam Lambert & Queen do “Heroes Are Hard to Find”
Karnivool do “Isn’t It Midnight”
America do “Remember Me”
India Arie do “Oh Daddy”
Rufus Wainwright do “The Smile I Live For”

. . . or is the thought too hideous?
My thoughts are that this is incredible. The only artist I haven't heard of is Karnivool. I'll check them out. This wouldn't be hideous, it would be fresh.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nope.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Exactly. If Stevie did not attend a Chris tribute concert she would be bashed as insenstive. If she did attend it would all be about her and a distraction. I was just watching a 2003 concert on youtube with her botching the simple lyrics to Don't Stop.
She didn’t botch them - she had to, in her own ridiculous way, rewrite the lyric likely so it sounded more positive. She did that “if your life was good to you” nonsense for ten years
Old 11-16-2023, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
She didn’t botch them - she had to, in her own ridiculous way, rewrite the lyric likely so it sounded more positive. She did that “if your life was good to you” nonsense for ten years
And you believe that?
I could believe that if she also does not botch her own lyrics all the time
Old 11-16-2023, 07:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Yes, listen to her recordings and enjoy.
Oh yes I do my own tribute to Christine every time. I have several playlists (solos, FM songs, live songs, etc.) and I listened them alone.

But let's face it, in a tribute concert, though the audience have in mind the honered person, the main reason is to see the performers. I'd have loved to be in Freddie Mercury concert, because Axel Rose, Bowie, Lennox, Elton, etc etc were there. If there was a tribute concert with NN singers, I don't think it would be a huge event.

Not the same situation but it reminds me what Bob Geldof said; it was great that Live Aid was a success, but if people really wanted to help ethiopians, the ideal thing was people would collaborate with them without expecting anything (the shows in this case) in return. But he thought they wouldn't have raised as much money without the concerts.