Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:54 PM

Default Never Forget June 1978

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0walTL8s04

Wow, this is so good. The keys are sublime. I can even hear a little Got A Hold On Me in the intro.

Lindsey does some great guitar parts. 1:38. Wow!! so good. True BuckVie hand off.

Then the outro has more organ and some wonderful atmosphere.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love love love! That bubbling bass line and syncopated chords—patented Christine.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Love it. Always thought this song should have been on side one. It sometimes gets forgotten. I would sacrifice any song on side 1. The album should have kicked off with Think About Me.
I like the album version of Over and Over but it could have been moved to side 2 track 1.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Love it. Always thought this song should have been on side one. It sometimes gets forgotten. I would sacrifice any song on side 1. The album should have kicked off with Think About Me.
I like the album version of Over and Over but it could have been moved to side 2 track 1.
Chili used to have his own running order of Tusk. I wish I could find it.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wouldn't mess with side one for anything. It's perfect. You can kick Storms or Beautiful Child anywhere you like.
Old 12-31-2021, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I wouldn't mess with side one for anything. It's perfect. You can kick Storms or Beautiful Child anywhere you like.
TUSK is a collection of songs that refuses to be sequenced in a wholly satisfying way. The disparate nature of the material and the radically different manner in which many of the LB songs were recorded, means the material will never easily hang together. I like this about the record. There are pockets of strong, balanced sequencing, such as the last five songs, but overall the running order is disruptive. This feels deliberate: following the easy-listening lead with one of the record’s most out-there songs—which proves to be a pattern, as it happens again on the last two songs from sides 3 and 4, respectively; placing two McVie numbers together on side three after a (too) long absence from the proceeding; beginning side two with an intentionally goof-ball tune after the earnest, lushly-orchestrated Sara…All of these decisions seem provocations aimed at deconstructing the expectations of listeners who had become accustomed to smooth, flawless FM records.

One of the great ironies of TUSK is that Stevie’s songs end up sounding as integrated as they are. She only has five songs, but all of them surpass the four-minute mark, and all of them (with the possible exception of Sisters) sounds thoroughly at home in the mix. Usually on FM records, Stevie’s songs, even when they are excellent, sound as if they are inserted rather than organic to the running order.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 12-31-2021 at 01:24 AM..
Old 12-31-2021, 06:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those never made you cry like Beauty and the Beast and Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You?

You'll never make me, you'll never make me, you'll never make me cry
Old 12-31-2021, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always loved Never Forget but this is by far a better take, has more atmosphere and fills in some of the blanks that makes it forgettable- we'd be surprised at how many people stop listening to Tusk at the end of the title track. It would've been a very nice show closer- even for the Dance, too bad they didn't give it a try.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Chili used to have his own running order of Tusk. I wish I could find it.
Game on. I have some time this morning so here would be my off the cuff Tusk order:

Think about Me
Save Me A Place
Angel
What makes you think you're the one
Never Forget

Sara
Tusk
Walk A Thin Line
Beautiful Child
Honey Hi

Brown Eyes
That's all for everyone
Storms
Not That Funny
Thats Enough For Me

Sisters of the Moon
Over and Over
I know I'm not wrong
The Ledge
Never Make Me Cry

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-31-2021 at 10:29 AM..
Old 12-31-2021, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Game on. I have some time this morning so here would be my off the cuff Tusk order:

Think about Me
Save Me A Place
Angel
What makes you think you're the one
Never Forget

Sara
Tusk
Walk A Thin Line
Beautiful Child
Honey Hi

Brown Eyes
That's all for everyone
Storms
Not That Funny
Thats Enough For Me

Sisters of the Moon
Over and Over
I know I'm not wrong
The Ledge
Never Make Me Cry
But coming out of the gate with TAM gives the impression that Tusk is Rumours II, and TAM is the ONLY Rumours sounding song on the album. Over and Over, followed by The Ledge made the statement they needed to.

THIS AIN'T NO RUMOURS, BITCHES. You're about to be challenged!

Side one running order is perfekt as it is.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But coming out of the gate with TAM gives the impression that Tusk is Rumours II, and TAM is the ONLY Rumours sounding song on the album. Over and Over, followed by The Ledge made the statement they needed to.

THIS AIN'T NO RUMOURS, BITCHES. You're about to be challenged!

Side one running order is perfekt as it is.
The music speaks for itself. No one would ever think it was Rumours 2 beyotch.
All of my life I suspected Tusk's running order was purposely done to give it a mixed feel and uneven flow. When I shook hands with Lindsey at the meet and greet, I wanted to fire off this quick question because I think Richard was asked the question several years ago and he punted. He claimed he could not remember if there was a purpose to the tracking.
However, about 6 months ago I was cleaning my room really good and I put Tusk on in its entirety for the first time in a long time. I thought the album flowed perfectly and I changed my mind about the tracking conspiracy. I dont think its a coincidence that the albums most quirky song (The ledge) is followed by the most corporate song of the album (Think About me). But who knows. I will say that my tracking that I posted improves the album considerably because it was done by me I give each artist equal play on each side. The original tracking Christine disappears for 10 songs after Think About Me. I dont like that but I know you want to move Storms and Sara to the front.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-31-2021 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-31-2021, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The music speaks for itself. No one would ever think it was Rumours 2 beyotch.
All of my life I suspected Tusk's running order was purposely done to give it a mixed feel and uneven flow. When I shook hands with Lindsey at the meet and greet, I wanted to fire off this quick question because I think Richard was asked the question several years ago and he punted. He claimed he could not remember if there was a purpose to the tracking.
However, about 6 months ago I was cleaning my room really good and I put Tusk on in its entirety for the first time in a long time. I thought the album flowed perfectly and I changed my mind about the tracking conspiracy. I dont think its a coincidence that the albums most quirky song (The ledge) is followed by the most corporate song of the album (Think About me). But who knows. I will say that my tracking that I posted improves the album considerably because it was done by me I give each artist equal play on each side. The original tracking Christine disappears for 10 songs after Think About Me. I dont like that but I know you want to move Storms and Sara to the front.
Yeah, I'm sure you know better than Lindsey. And Richard. And Ken. WHY didn't they just axe you?

Michele should rename this board - The FM Egomaniacs!
Old 12-31-2021, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

June 29, 1978

What kind of fascinates me here (I mean, I don’t obsess over it) is that Chris had already incorporated the Yamaha CP30 into her setup by June 1978 — she is playing it on this cut. Yet when Fleetwood went on the road a few months later, Chris used her old, decrepit Hohner (which already sounded early 70s dated). Why on earth did she not take the Yamaha on the road in 1978? She waited until 1979 to play it out live. I think change scared her. She opted to take her “hissing, farting” instrument instead of using the latest and greatest. Thoughts?

CP30 demo

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-31-2021, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
June 29, 1978

What kind of fascinates me here (I mean, I don’t obsess over it) is that Chris had already incorporated the Yamaha CP30 into her setup by June 1978 — she is playing it on this cut. Yet when Fleetwood went on the road a few months later, Chris used her old, decrepit Hohner (which already sounded early 70s dated). Why on earth did she not take the Yamaha on the road in 1978? She waited until 1979 to play it out live. I think change scared her. She opted to take her “hissing, farting” instrument instead of using the latest and greatest. Thoughts?

CP30 demo
My guess is fear. As a musician, she seems resistant to change. Maybe I’m wrong.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
My guess is fear. As a musician, she seems resistant to change. Maybe I’m wrong.
At BuckVie Nashville(show #2) a song started with the wrong keyboard sound, and she(apparently) didn't know how to change it. Her tech had to come out and do it for her, then restart the song.

In her defense, I'm blind as a bat on a dark stage, and have neon yellow gaff tape on my keyboards, saying "Rhodes", "Tack Piano", etc, because I can't see the tiny font in the dark(who could!).(not a LED readout, screen printing on the physical keyboards).