User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
A lot of his book was true. Quite a bit of it was not or at least embellished. I need to read his 2nd book, at some point. Maybe I'll read two books at once and knock it out. But, there are so many other fruitful things to read.
A lot of his book dealt with the official line the band takes. But there were some glaring omissions: no mention of Christine’s affair with Martin Birch; Bob Welch’s heroin use; or Stevie’s abortion. Unlike Bob Brunning’s mess of a book, there aren’t as many outright errors, but some revisionist lies exist, such as attributing “Station Man” to Christine and saying “Oh Daddy” was about him. And then there was the whole “and nobody missed Lindsey” bit when discussing the Tango tour.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
A lot of his book dealt with the official line the band takes. But there were some glaring omissions: no mention of Christine’s affair with Martin Birch; Bob Welch’s heroin use; or Stevie’s abortion. Unlike Bob Brunning’s mess of a book, there aren’t as many outright errors, but some revisionist lies exist, such as attributing “Station Man” to Christine and saying “Oh Daddy” was about him. And then there was the whole “and nobody missed Lindsey” bit when discussing the Tango tour.
Is this the newer publication? Or the "My Life...blah blah blah"?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The glaring omissions you mention, Mick probably felt they weren’t his stories to tell, since they didn’t involve him specifically. As for the band not missing Lindsey during the Tango tour, that doesn’t sound hard to believe at all. They were ticked because Lindsey didn’t tour and probably worried about the future of the band. From all accounts, the tour did well and it sounded like a lot of fun for them, personally. It’s completely possible that if Lindsey had toured with them, it would have gone very well too, but we’ll never know. Billy Burnette wrote in his book about how all of them would continue to play music together after a show in their hotel room, just jamming, which is something I’m quite certain had never happened before. I think that was a reflection more on Billy and Rick, and their genuine excitement about being in FM, than on Lindsey. Billy and Rick brought fun back for them at that time.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The guy who cowrote My Life and Adventures with Mick is an unqualified author. His biography of Stevie was a smoking pile of crap. I was embarassed for Davis when I read that book. I believe the only reason it was published was because it had Stevie's name on it. The fact they charged people $20-$30 for that book was an act of evil.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
A lot of his book was true. Quite a bit of it was not or at least embellished. I need to read his 2nd book, at some point. Maybe I'll read two books at once and knock it out. But, there are so many other fruitful things to read.
Can you believe I've never read the second book(I've read the first one at least 30 times)? I bought the second one probably 5 years ago, and have never cracked it. I love the first one, but now that I know he's a lying sack of sh*t, I'm just not that interested in reading his little lies.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You're just jealous Oh Daddy was written about him
Christine wrote Oh Daddy about me, since she and I equally loathe children.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Can you believe I've never read the second book(I've read the first one at least 30 times)? I bought the second one probably 5 years ago, and have never cracked it. I love the first one, but now that I know he's a lying sack of sh*t, I'm just not that interested in reading his little lies.
The second book is not worth reading. I have the hard cover and even tried to sell it on Ebay. No takers. Unlike the first book, it contains no gossip or scandal. I think its written as an apology to his first wife and clearing his conscience about Bob Welch. He praises everyone. He never even mentions things Stevie has mentioned i.e. touring with Stevie and the klonopin years, etc.
It was a struggle to even finish it was so boring and glossed over. The way he praises Bob Welch in the second book disturbed be because how Mick treated him in 1997. Besides being snubbed at the RRHOF, Bob was completely edited out of the band's Behind The Music segment released the same year. He is not mentioned in the band's history but actually cut off the album back cover of Heroes are Hard to Find. Its almost as bad as when the Van Halen brothers edited Michael Anthony off the Van Halen website.

I loved the first book and the funny stories about his stalker. When Stevie dropped acid in Hawaii and could not find her way to the airport to pick him up. How the band found the roses Don Henley gave to Stevie and the band wrote on the card "Tonight is the night". Loved it when he wrote how Lindsey confronted him seeing Stevie, etc.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-09-2021 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-09-2021, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's abortion was a very delicate topic to include it. A right thing not to mention it.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Stevie's abortion was a very delicate topic to include it. A right thing not to mention it.
Yea, that's definitely her story to tell if she wants to or doesn't want to. I wouldn't want to make that public against someone's wishes. Having said that, he sure went to town with a lot of other issues.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Exactly. I love Don Henley as an artist but what an incredibly horrible person to out a woman for having an abortion. There was a klonopin era interview with Stevie where she sounded very hurt saying "I guess I can talk about this now since I did not have a choice and Don told the world" or something like that. I just don't understand why anyone would do that let alone someone who is an ex lover and current friend. Don also supposedly hung up the phone on Stevie when she called him and told him she was marrying Kim Anderson. Strange relationship those 2 have.
Old 11-09-2021, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly. I love Don Henley as an artist but what an incredibly horrible person to out a woman for having an abortion.
Didn't he have a minor prostitute visit him once and she had an overdose?
I remember when Stevie really went in depth about the abortion in 2014 because someone asked her if Don was right about Sara being about the conception of a child. Stevie said had she had the child it wouldve been named Sara.

Don is an amazing singer. Far better than Lindsey, Billy, Rick, and to me, even Glenn Frey.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Exactly. I love Don Henley as an artist but what an incredibly horrible person to out a woman for having an abortion. There was a klonopin era interview with Stevie where she sounded very hurt saying "I guess I can talk about this now since I did not have a choice and Don told the world" or something like that. I just don't understand why anyone would do that let alone someone who is an ex lover and current friend. Don also supposedly hung up the phone on Stevie when she called him and told him she was marrying Kim Anderson. Strange relationship those 2 have.
he's a flaming dick and it's so ridiculous how she tolerated his **** because he was Mr Famous. She talked back in the late 70s/early80s about how impressed she was at how famous the Eagles were (she always knows how to find the people in a crowd who can be useful to her "I wanna be a star, I don't wanna be a cleaning lady"). She also said that it was Don who "taught" her "how to be a rock star".... so we can thank him for that. "I get the Presidential suite because I demand it" and all that happy claptrap. She talked about how she would be all quiet and not talk about her career and Fleetwood Mac around him/the Eagles and, in her words, "trick them to death". That's why I find her "feminist" claims laughable. She is so totally a product of the era she grew up in (50s) and women need to flatter men and bat their eyelashes and pretend they don't have any ambition etc. That was her approach with Don... and he being of the same era was all white, male privilege...treating everyone like dirt. I guess if you wanna become an a$$hole diva, learn from the best.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
The glaring omissions you mention, Mick probably felt they weren’t his stories to tell, since they didn’t involve him specifically. As for the band not missing Lindsey during the Tango tour, that doesn’t sound hard to believe at all. They were ticked because Lindsey didn’t tour and probably worried about the future of the band. From all accounts, the tour did well and it sounded like a lot of fun for them, personally. It’s completely possible that if Lindsey had toured with them, it would have gone very well too, but we’ll never know. Billy Burnette wrote in his book about how all of them would continue to play music together after a show in their hotel room, just jamming, which is something I’m quite certain had never happened before. I think that was a reflection more on Billy and Rick, and their genuine excitement about being in FM, than on Lindsey. Billy and Rick brought fun back for them at that time.
They certainly were not his stories to tell, but neither was Christine’s affair with Curry Grant and he told that. So where is the line drawn? If Christine’s having an affair with the band’s erstwhile engineer (Birch), that’s pretty darn significant to the band. I’m betting Christine said he could tell one story but not the other. But who knows? Maybe it was selective memory. The interesting thing is that, with time, most of the stories have come out anyway, either through personal confession or from someone else spilling the beans.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is this the newer publication? Or the "My Life...blah blah blah"?
The older one, the My Life blah...
Old 11-09-2021, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally agree.

But Mick elsewhere lets a lot come out that wasn’t his to tell. So he appears to have restricted himself to what the band would permit, the “official line” at the time, which was really my point.