The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Which lady of the Mac do you prefer?
Stevie Nicks 58 53.21%
Christine McVie 25 22.94%
I can't decide 3 2.75%
I like both equally 11 10.09%
can I vote for Lindsey? He has a girls' name and a girly voice 8 7.34%
Screw 'em, I wanna vote for someone else, like Grace Slick 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought about Lindsey for his Big Love backing vocals, but I figured that was too clever (and not really genuine on my part anyway). So I chose Stevie, because as much as I adore Christine (and I do) and as much as I think they are equal geniuses, Stevie's songs are more important to me, her persona intrigues me more, and she held my hand once.

Plus she gave the world: "Rhiannon," "Gypsy," "Beautiful Child"!

I mean. Really.

p.s. -- ChilliD is essentially right. Even though she's "obscure"--this is a fan site. A place for people who KNOW the obscurities. So it is strange that Bekka was left off the poll. Even if she had gotten 0 votes, then fine: the people would have spoken. But at least they coulda chosen. That said:

p.p.s. -- Technically speaking, this poll is in the Rumours thread, so . . . technically . . . it's ok to leave out Bekka.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 05-18-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM

This poll is a little strange only because it's obvious Stevie is more popular... Not better... but definitely more popular...

It's like saying who do you like better on guitar.. Eric Clapton or Lindsey Buckingham...

If this were a national poll Clapton would destroy him... most people know who Stevie and Eric are... many many people don't know who Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham are....

Most people that come to this site with 31 posts are Stevie fans... I've been around long enough to know that...

Lou Chili isn't screaming at people to berate them... he's just frustrated with some FM ignorance... that's all... it's a band and sometimes people forget that... And without the name FMac.. the only people that would know who Stevie Nicks was were those in Birmingham, AL in 1973 and 1974...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I know your motive is to turn people on to the non Buckingham Nicks lineups and members. But seriously, do you think screaming at people and berating their opinions accomplishes that? Why can't someone just be a guilt free fan? Honestly, I know you just like yelling and pushing people's buttons. You hide behind your massive Mac knowledge for protection, but I never hear you speak about listening to a Bekka solo album and enjoying it, for instance. I however DO hear you say complimentary things about Stevie Nicks, from time to time.
I get frustrated at the myopic views of Fleetwood Mac being "Rumours lineup or nothing"...if the poll had included Bekka, I probably would've just voted and not even posted to the thread......sometimes you just have to break a vase or bottle by tossing it across the room to get people's attention; otherwise they just ignore you. That's all I'm doing, as Mick would call it, "Rattling the Cage"...the only reason I told YOU to "f-off" is because you'd pushed MY button with your post (as usual)...in the sake of "personal honor", I had to push back (as usual). Plus, after all these years of posting on FMac boards, aren't we USED to telling each other to "f-off" and living to see another day?

And, anyway, wouldn't I have been conspicuous by my absence if I DIDN'T bring up the Bekka omission? Somebody would've posted, "UH, OH, chili's going to spring a leak on this one", if I hadn't....so, I just had a reputation to live up to, appease certain expectations, as well. It's not exactly easy being "chiliD", ya know!

Last edited by chiliD; 05-18-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Apparently I'm the only one who voted for Grace Slick! In my humblest of opinions, you really can't pit Stevie against Christine or vice versa, because they're so wholly different. I love each for very different reasons. I listen to each for very different reasons.

And for those making a spectacle about Bekka: get over yourselves. She was a very, very brief blip in Mac history. People make the biggest damn fuss over that woman, yet they don't cajole over Bob Weston, Bob Brunning, or Dave Walker like they do her. Why? Because she's got a rack? For what it's worth, I'm sure it wasn't Bekka's idea at all to do Stevie Nicks songs. I'm sure she would have rather made her own mark anyway. It's all part and parcel with the Mac package that new members have to play past members crappy songs. That still doesn't make it any more pleasant for the rest of us, though. Lindsey's version of Oh Well makes my skin crawl, and my ears are STILL bleeding a decade and a half later after hearing Bekka's Gold Dust Woman . Displeasure also goes with Fleetwood Mac like coke and straws do with Stevie's tush.

You are not the only one who voted for Grace Slick. I voted for Grace if only just for the fact that I'm on a big Jefferson Airplane kick right now. I have their entire catalog. They are one my favorite bands. It seems a lot of the bands I love have a mixture of men and women: Fleetwood Mac, The Mamas & Papas, Jefferson Airplane, The Magic Numbers etc... I guess I like the variety and appeal that comes with that dynamic. And, like you, I can never choose between Stevie and Chris. Why should I? It's like Sophie's choice!! Go Bekka! lol

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-18-2010 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually like Becca's voice, but she's into the vocal gymnastics diva **** (or was, on the Shake the Cage tour), and homie don't play that.

I love both Chris and Stevie, almost equally. It is possible.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
You are not the only one who voted for Grace Slick. I voted for Grace just for the fact that I'm on a big Jefferson Airplane kick right now. I have their entire catalog. They are one my favorite bands. It seems a lot of the bands I love have a mixture of men and women: Fleetwood Mac, The Mamas & Papas, Jefferson Airplane, The Magic Numbers etc...
I would have done the same, but in the context of Jefferson Starship, Mickey Thomas just about edges it for me. Best rock tenor since Brad Delp for sure! This poll needs Bekka and Mickey options...
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Seriously, what's the fuss about this one chick? I just don't get it.
Personally, that's how I feel about Miss Nicks. How people could hang on to some of the drivel she's produced is beyond me. Furthermore, her fans act as though she's just as relevant in 2010 as she was in 1981. Please. She hasn't done anything truly worthwhile in the music industry on her own since 1989. Her fans should thank their lucky stars every day for Lindsey because she never would have made it without him. Speaking of her fans, many of the diehards I've come across over the years are some of the most myopic, narrow-minded fans that I have ever come across. Don't think that's true, what about Stevie fans who disliked Bekka because she performed Stevie's Fleetwood Mac songs? What kind of nonsense is that? Certainly everyone's entitled to their views of the way Bekka performed songs like Gold Dust Woman, but to dislike her because she performed it while being in Fleetwood Mac shows how small-minded these fans are.

In terms of answering the original question of this thread it would be Christine.

Matt
Old 05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Highly familiar, actually. I don't waste good food over nothing.

I don't quite see what her other work has to do with 'Ladies of the Mac' though
I only asked this because it has been my experience that a lot of people dismiss Bekka without giving her a fair shot. Many of them do so without having heard any of her work. I don't really know you, but I assumed that - since you appear to be a Christine McVie fan - you'd at least heard Time and I was just curious to see if you'd heard anything else before making that comment. If you already are familiar with her other work and still aren't a fan, that's fine. To each their own.

To me, her solo work is just as important as anything to do with Fleetwood Mac. I'm sure many of the people who responded to this thread have formed their opinions of Stevie and Christine based on their entire body of work (or at least included some of their solo material) rather than just each one's contributions to the band. So it's perfectly fair to do the same for Bekka.

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 05-18-2010 at 11:47 PM..
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Don't think that's true, what about Stevie fans who disliked Bekka because she performed Stevie's Fleetwood Mac songs? What kind of nonsense is that? Certainly everyone's entitled to their views of the way Bekka performed songs like Gold Dust Woman, but to dislike her because she performed it while being in Fleetwood Mac shows how small-minded these fans are.

Matt
Matt, you f*cking rock! Most of the "exclusively Stevie" fans just piss me off to no end. Because they're not about FM! Just about the ditz.
I now toast my beer to you!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She hasn't done anything truly worthwhile in the music industry on her own since 1989. Her fans should thank their lucky stars every day for Lindsey because she never would have made it without him. Speaking of her fans, many of the diehards I've come across over the years are some of the most myopic, narrow-minded fans that I have ever come across. Don't think that's true, what about Stevie fans who disliked Bekka because she performed Stevie's Fleetwood Mac songs? What kind of nonsense is that? Certainly everyone's entitled to their views of the way Bekka performed songs like Gold Dust Woman, but to dislike her because she performed it while being in Fleetwood Mac shows how small-minded these fans are.

Matt
I love this! Thanks Matt!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Personally, that's how I feel about Miss Nicks. How people could hang on to some of the drivel she's produced is beyond me. Furthermore, her fans act as though she's just as relevant in 2010 as she was in 1981. Please. She hasn't done anything truly worthwhile in the music industry on her own since 1989. Her fans should thank their lucky stars every day for Lindsey because she never would have made it without him. Speaking of her fans, many of the diehards I've come across over the years are some of the most myopic, narrow-minded fans that I have ever come across. Don't think that's true, what about Stevie fans who disliked Bekka because she performed Stevie's Fleetwood Mac songs? What kind of nonsense is that? Certainly everyone's entitled to their views of the way Bekka performed songs like Gold Dust Woman, but to dislike her because she performed it while being in Fleetwood Mac shows how small-minded these fans are.

In terms of answering the original question of this thread it would be Christine.

Matt
What he said..
Old 05-19-2010, 06:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Furthermore, her fans act as though she's just as relevant in 2010 as she was in 1981. Please. She hasn't done anything truly worthwhile in the music industry on her own since 1989.
The same could be said for Bekka and Chris
Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM

So then it's settled!!! We must kill all Stevie fans to make the world a better place!!! bwhahahahahahahahahhaahahahahhaha God they're everywhere this is gonna be messy!!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I get frustrated at the myopic views of Fleetwood Mac being "Rumours lineup or nothing"...if the poll had included Bekka, I probably would've just voted and not even posted to the thread......sometimes you just have to break a vase or bottle by tossing it across the room to get people's attention; otherwise they just ignore you. That's all I'm doing, as Mick would call it, "Rattling the Cage"...the only reason I told YOU to "f-off" is because you'd pushed MY button with your post (as usual)...in the sake of "personal honor", I had to push back (as usual). Plus, after all these years of posting on FMac boards, aren't we USED to telling each other to "f-off" and living to see another day?

And, anyway, wouldn't I have been conspicuous by my absence if I DIDN'T bring up the Bekka omission? Somebody would've posted, "UH, OH, chili's going to spring a leak on this one", if I hadn't....so, I just had a reputation to live up to, appease certain expectations, as well. It's not exactly easy being "chiliD", ya know!
While that may be the case, I can't help but feel that your posts make any of my often controversial and/or aggressive postings seem pleasant and/or friendly by comparison (although, even if the limited evidence posted around The Ledge suggests otherwise, I never actually mean to insult/hurt anyone when I'm telling people they're wrong). That said, your posts often make for more informed reading.
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 05-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I agree that the poll should have included Bekka, But....the person who started the poll is sort of a newbie here. She mentioned last week in a post on another forum that she had not listened to Time before. So it's a reasonably good likelihood that she has no idea what Bekka even sounds like.