User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Carol Ann Harris mentioned working on the video in her book, I believe. I don't remember if she said the location.
I thought she said Save Me, which caused everyone to point out that Lindsey wasn't even there for Save Me. I think she then corrected the name of the video somewhere else, so maybe Little Lies was the correction.

Certainly there have been no stories about them going to the UK to shoot a video, so it's interesting if they did. They probably didn't. Just looking at clues in the video, it would be nice to think they did.

Michele
Old 04-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Little Lies video. Despite the video generally makes no sense and having nothing to do with the song, I really love the setting. And the little fading in and out effect they had going on.

I think everyone looks absolutely STUNNING. In fact I think Stevie looks better in LL than she does in Seven Wonders (and Big Love was kind of a cinematic disaster, they all looked busted sooo).
Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I always thought it was massive here in the USA too. Those singles could be heard everywhere.
Tango was kind of a slow burn hit here in the US.Even though the first single Big Love made the top 5 the album only peaked at no. 7 Billboard which I thought was strange since Mirage had occupied the number one spot for 5 weeks.Tango had more hit singles however which kept it bouyant in the charts longer so it eventually sold more than Mirage here in the states.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I love the Little Lies video. Despite the video generally makes no sense and having nothing to do with the song, I really love the setting. And the little fading in and out effect they had going on.

I think everyone looks absolutely STUNNING. In fact I think Stevie looks better in LL than she does in Seven Wonders (and Big Love was kind of a cinematic disaster, they all looked busted sooo).
I love the pastoral setting. You're right the video has nothing to do with the song or with anything we associate with the band, but that's part of what makes it work for me. It seems to be from a different period and they have an innocence, tranquility and leisurely air that is bittersweet, given their imminent parting.

If I could turn the page . . . I wouldn't. I'd keep it there and make that moment last longer.

Michele
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I love the pastoral setting. You're right the video has nothing to do with the song or with anything we associate with the band, but that's part of what makes it work for me. It seems to be from a different period and they have an innocence, tranquility and leisurely air that is bittersweet, given their imminent parting.
Its setting reminds me of all the film footage of the much earlier band in and around Benifols out in the English countryside.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

If I could turn the page . . . I wouldn't. I'd keep it there and make that moment last longer.

Michele

Michele is letting her guard down.
I like what you wrote.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the Little Lies video and always thought Stevie looked great in it and wouldn't have changed a thing. To me it's a beautifully made video, what they done with it.

And I have always loved the artwork on the Tango In The Night album cover. That's such a beautiful painting.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fringed n fab View Post
I love the Little Lies video and always thought Stevie looked great in it and wouldn't have changed a thing. To me it's a beautifully made video, what they done with it.

I think it's their best video. And like you I think it was
beautifully made. About the only things I'd change would
be (time machine) to tell Lindsey not to shave his eyebrows
so close. And for Mick not to use so much makeup.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I think it's their best video. And like you I think it was
beautifully made. About the only things I'd change would
be (time machine) to tell Lindsey not to shave his eyebrows
so close. And for Mick not to use so much makeup
Never paid much attention to Lindsey's brows in it. As for Mick wearing makeup back then, I think it suited him and was just Mick being Mick back then and onstage with it. I assumed he has done that for years? For dramatic and artistic effect.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I was just watching VH1's totally 80's show and little lies came on. I remember when the video was released and it was a big hit. I doubt they flew to England to film a video. The farm looks American and movie sets will always have classic cars. I think everyone looks really good in the video. Now they all look SO YOUNG.

But I disagree that the video makes no sense. The video makes total sense if you know what the song is about. Chris wrote the song about Lindsey. In an interview in 1987 she stated that she secretly knew Lindsey was going to leave the band but was staying on to finish the album. But Lindsey never was saying anything. It was her intuition. He never came out and said he was leaving but would drop little hints. So that became the little lies. " We are better off apart, lets give it a try." "Tell me tell me lies." "You cant disguise, no you cant disguise" So apparently during the tense Tango sessions in Lindsey's garage studio it was apparent to Chris that Lindsey's days were numbered. He never came out and said, I am leaving so he sort of told little lies about to continue working with the band. In Mick's book, Mick stated that Lindsey threw in his face that he did the album for him and did not need to tour to get him out of bankruptcy and he did his part with the album.
Now the video: The video is all about Lindsey. You see him walking away and then disappearing over and over. Every time Chris sings a verse the camera goes right to Lindsey. This video was his last official act with the band in 1987. Little Lies had just popped into the top 40 and this video released when it was announced that Lindsey left the band.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-05-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I was just watching VH1's totally 80's show and little lies came on. I remember when the video was released and it was a big hit. I doubt they flew to England to film a video. The farm looks American and movie sets will always have classic cars. I think everyone looks really good in the video. Now they all look SO YOUNG.

But I disagree that the video makes no sense. The video makes total sense if you know what the song is about. Chris wrote the song about Lindsey. In an interview in 1987 she stated that she knew Lindsey was going to leave the band but was staying on to finish the album. He never came out and said he was leaving but would drop little hints. So that became the little lies. " We are better off apart, lets give it a try." "Tell me tell me lies." So apparently during the tense Tango sessions in Lindsey's garage studio it was apparent to Chris that Lindsey's days were numbered. In Mick's book, Mick stated that Lindsey threw in his face that he did the album for him and did not need to tour to get him out of bankruptcy and he did his part with the album.
Now the video: The video is all about Lindsey. You see him walking away and then disappearing over and over. Every time Chris sings a verse the camera goes right to Lindsey. This video was his last official act with the band in 1987. Little Lies had just popped into the top 40 and this video released when it was announced that Lindsey left the band.
wow thanks for super , clear explanation of Little Lies and the Vid too.
Now if I can get Youtube to play??? I'll watch Little Lies with greater meaning
thanks
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

But I disagree that the video makes no sense. The video makes total sense if you know what the song is about. Chris wrote the song about Lindsey. In an interview in 1987 she stated that she knew Lindsey was going to leave the band but was staying on to finish the album. He never came out and said he was leaving but would drop little hints. So that became the little lies. " We are better off apart, lets give it a try." "Tell me tell me lies." So apparently during the tense Tango sessions in Lindsey's garage studio it was apparent to Chris that Lindsey's days were numbered. In Mick's book, Mick stated that Lindsey threw in his face that he did the album for him and did not need to tour to get him out of bankruptcy and he did his part with the album.

Do they ever play the Hold Me and Gypsy videos on VH1 classic?

Also I always thought Little Lies was about a failing relationship and both people know it's not working out but they keep telling "little lies" to make the other person believe they're happy or going to work it out, but they truly know it will end. I guess it makes sense in the Lindsey leaving the band context as well. I wish he stuck it out for the tour though. I find the live videos from 1987-88 very difficult to watch without Lindsey, especially when they play songs like The Chain or Gold Dust Woman or World Turning.

Stevie and Christine both look very good in all three Tango videos, especially the Seven Wonders video. Christine looks really good in the Hold Me video.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember the Everywhere video being stupid. Little Lies is great, since the farm theme captures the longing of the song. Only bad thing about it is how awful Lindsey is at convincingly lip-synching. He looks like he's chewing juicy fruit rather than singing his lines.

Gypsy has to be one of the all-time greatest music videos. So fantastic, the colors, the story, Stevie twirling...it's pretty epic, definitely on the level of Michael Jackson's 80s videos.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I remember the Everywhere video being stupid. Little Lies is great, since the farm theme captures the longing of the song. Only bad thing about it is how awful Lindsey is at convincingly lip-synching. He looks like he's chewing juicy fruit rather than singing his lines.

Gypsy has to be one of the all-time greatest music videos. So fantastic, the colors, the story, Stevie twirling...it's pretty epic, definitely on the level of Michael Jackson's 80s videos.

Yeah the Everywhere video could have been way better. Also why are only John, Mick, and Christine in that video?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I vaguely recall the video being filmed in Northern California, near the windmills.

Corbis credits California, USA as the location of the video shoot.