User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Bekka should have been doing anything but Stevie's songs. She should have done deeper cuts like Spare Me A Little Of Your Love, Why, Just Crazy Love or Warm Ways. Sugar Daddy would have been a fantastic song for her to do.
She did like one Stevie song (Gold Dust Woman). The rest were Christine's.

Quote:
I've never felt that Dave was a good fit for Fleetwood Mac. .
Mick Taylor would have been my choice. He'd just done that album with John and Billy, plus they could've done "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" or "Gimme Shelter," which Bekka could have totally rocked. Plus, yet another ex-Bluesbreaker.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-03-2022, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Bekka should have been doing anything but Stevie's songs. She should have done deeper cuts like Spare Me A Little Of Your Love, Why, Just Crazy Love or Warm Ways. Sugar Daddy would have been a fantastic song for her to do.

I've never felt that Dave was a good fit for Fleetwood Mac. He always came across to me as someone who's a "straight-ahead" performer whereas most of the members of the band felt like they could branch out. Besides, if you can't get along with Bekka Bramlett, you must be a giant @$$hole.

Even if things worked out completely with this era of the group, success still would have been limited given the amount of change within the band. I like the Time album but the best thing that happened IMO was it gave Bekka her biggest platform. I wish more people would be able to get past whatever comparisons they thing about a blonde replacing another blonde (or two depending on your point of view.) She's such a fantastic and overlooked talent. She also seems to be an absolute sweetheart of a person who has never seemed to allow whatever negativity came from that period to affect her.
Well, could they fill ANY seats without milking "the hits"? They were out with Pat Benetar and REO Speedwagon. THAT crowd didn't want to hear unknown album cuts(I did, though). The crowd around me bitched incessantly, about how "this isn't FM!"

Bekka is the greatest singer FM ever had. She STILL has pipes to die for. I went and saw her band in Nashville pre Covid, several times, and she was awesome. And stood out in the sidewalk like some commoner on break, smoking her cancer sticks. I asked her about Time, and she acted shocked that I knew about it. The band truly could have had a new horizon, with her as the singer, if they'd only been given the chance.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The one and only time I saw them was fall 1994 (after Stevie’s superb concerts in Northern California at Arco Arena with Rick Vito and Russ Kunkel). Mac was playing Konocti Harbor Spa in Clear Lake, a buffet dinner club with about 200 people eating chicken and rice pilaf at their tables. After dessert was finished, you turned your chair toward the small stage at one end of the room — and there was Fleetwood Mac. Not exactly auspicious.

They played essentially the same set (five or six Mac hits and several Mason numbers, just over an hour) with the same confused listlessness and flippancy. Afterwards, I went out on the boat dock and talked to Mick Fleetwood, who was smoking a cigarette and staring out over the dark water.

It didn’t really matter who was in the band at this point. The band had no focus, no raison d’être. It was as if their arrest warrant and death sentence had already been signed, not only by their label but the public, as well. They had sunk to the level of a side dish with your chicken and rice.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-05-2022, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had lawn seats, and the people around me were bitching incessantly, "this isn't Fleetwood Mac!"
Old 09-05-2022, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The one and only time I saw them was fall 1994 (after Stevie’s superb concerts in Northern California at Arco Arena with Rick Vito and Russ Kunkel). Mac was playing Konocti Harbor Spa in Clear Lake, a buffet dinner club with about 200 people eating chicken and rice pilaf at their tables. After dessert was finished, you turned your chair toward the small stage at one end of the room — and there was Fleetwood Mac. Not exactly auspicious.

They played essentially the same set (five or six Mac hits and several Mason numbers, just over an hour) with the same confused listlessness and flippancy. Afterwards, I went out on the boat dock and talked to Mick Fleetwood, who was smoking a cigarette and staring out over the dark water.

It didn’t really matter who was in the band at this point. The band had no focus, no raison d’être. It was as if their arrest warrant and death sentence had already been signed, not only by their label but the public, as well. They had sunk to the level of a side dish with your chicken and rice.
I think this is what Lindsey called the “steakhouse circuit” during that MTV interview for The Dance. “Next stop, Palookaville!”
Old 09-05-2022, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
The band truly could have had a new horizon, with her as the singer, if they'd only been given the chance.
Could they though? They’d have to totally disassociate themselves with the Rumours era of the band and there’s no way that was going to happen at that point. Even if the Time album had been pushed, how could they reasonably tour it effectively with Christine on the album but not on the road? And by the time we’re talking about, with Hell Freezes Over still making obscene amounts of money, no doubt that any restart of Fleetwood Mac was going to be to reset it back to the 1975-87 era.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Could they though? They’d have to totally disassociate themselves with the Rumours era of the band and there’s no way that was going to happen at that point. Even if the Time album had been pushed, how could they reasonably tour it effectively with Christine on the album but not on the road? And by the time we’re talking about, with Hell Freezes Over still making obscene amounts of money, no doubt that any restart of Fleetwood Mac was going to be to reset it back to the 1975-87 era.
If they were willing to forego commercial success, there was the alt.country/No Depression/Americana movement that was growing. They could have carved out a niche in that, especially if they’d replaced Dave Mason with Mick Taylor, who was part of the Rolling Stones’ country-rock era. Maybe they could’ve gotten signed to an indie label like Matador, but I absolutely think they could have redefined the band.

However, that would have required leaving an insane amount of money on the table. I don’t think Mick or John would have been willing to do that, and it would be hard to blame them, since it’s the same amount of work either way.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-06-2022, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Though the original rhythm section is there, the total absence of the three singers, who probably were the main reason for many people in the late 70s to become Fleetwood Mac fans, makes people (and media, record companies, etc.) not interested in this lineup.

Bekka had a great voice there. But, with all respect, this sounds like a tribute band to me.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Though the original rhythm section is there, the total absence of the three singers, who probably were the main reason for many people in the late 70s to become Fleetwood Mac fans, makes people (and media, record companies, etc.) not interested in this lineup.

Bekka had a great voice there. But, with all respect, this sounds like a tribute band to me.
Yeah. Its tough when famous singers front your band and the drummer/bassist are original and want to go on. Mick has looked back and written regret making the band go on. However you must put it in context. Fleetwood Mac was over and you keep doing what you want to do to keep you busy and make a few bucks. Your other option is to sit home and think of older days. Part of me admires the effort to keep the band relevant. There is that other part that makes you realize you need to stop. For those that flame them for doing classic Mac songs.......this line up needed to. No one was coming to hear songs from Time, an album they never heard of. Some of them realized the singers had changed but they still want to hear those songs. In 1994 I had a chance to see them up close at a nightclub and I passed. You know what, I have regret about that.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, I was looking at the page dedicated to the OOTC tour and noticed something curious: The first leg of the OOTC tour ended around the same time Billy quit Fleetwood Mac, maybe within a week of each other in April, 1993.

Now I’m wondering how the Time band was even allowed to exist. Why the label didn’t intervene and why Lindsey didn’t reach out is curious. By that point, Warner’s and Lindsey knew he wasn’t viable as a solo artist and it should have been obvious, especially after the inauguration, that a new version of Fleetwood Mac fronted by people who weren’t on Rumours wasn’t going to be viable.

I don’t get how Lindsey could stand by and watch a brand he helped build get dragged through the mud, unless it was a matter of letting them humiliate themselves so he could be a white savior. Ironically, his bassist left the tour after the first leg, so there was even a perfect opening for some type reunion or offshoot. The whole debacle is as much on Mo Ostin, Lenny Waronker, and Lindsey Buckingham as it’s on Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, IMO.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 09-17-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Old 09-19-2022, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So, I was looking at the page dedicated to the OOTC tour and noticed something curious: The first leg of the OOTC tour ended around the same time Billy quit Fleetwood Mac, maybe within a week of each other in April, 1993.

Now I’m wondering how the Time band was even allowed to exist. Why the label didn’t intervene and why Lindsey didn’t reach out is curious. By that point, Warner’s and Lindsey knew he wasn’t viable as a solo artist and it should have been obvious, especially after the inauguration, that a new version of Fleetwood Mac fronted by people who weren’t on Rumours wasn’t going to be viable.

I don’t get how Lindsey could stand by and watch a brand he helped build get dragged through the mud, unless it was a matter of letting them humiliate themselves so he could be a white savior. Ironically, his bassist left the tour after the first leg, so there was even a perfect opening for some type reunion or offshoot. The whole debacle is as much on Mo Ostin, Lenny Waronker, and Lindsey Buckingham as it’s on Mick Fleetwood and John McVie, IMO.
Well I think we’ve all said here many times that this group of people are relatively terrible businesspeople. There are so many instances of missed opportunities that it’s unfathomable they’ve been as successful as they are. It’s as if their success is in spite of their own best efforts to self-sabotage.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't that be something if they all knew the reunion, in some way shape or form, was coming. I'll give you this much, there are some clues.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-19-2022 at 06:22 PM..
Old 09-20-2022, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wouldn't that be something if they all knew the reunion, in some way shape or form, was coming. I'll give you this much, there are some clues.
I am sure they were offered deals but clearly were not ready and rejected them. I dont buy the conspiracy theories because Lindey's solo tour ended the same month as Billy leaving the band? But then Billy came back to the band. With all the fuss over the inaugural the band put out countless statements they were NOT getting back together and it was a one time gig. Lindsey could see the shape Stevie was in 1993 and still wanted no part the madness. Chris did not even want to record Time and had to be forced to do it. I believe no serious talk of a reunion happened until at least 1996 when everyone hit rock bottom. Time flopped and the band saw they could not go on, Stevie almost quit performing, Chris left and wanted out of CA and go back to England. Her house was just finished since renovations started in 1990.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I dont buy the conspiracy theories because Lindey's solo tour ended the same month as Billy leaving the band?
Billy left Fleetwood Mac sometime in late-March/early-April, 1993 to resume his country career. The last show of the first leg of the OOTC tour was April 10, 1993.

Lindsey knew by then that his creative vision that he saw come to fruition wasn’t connecting and wasn’t viable. Similarly, the label should have known a new version of Fleetwood Mac fronted by people who weren’t on Rumours wasn’t going to be viable.

At that point Fleetwood Mac should have been shelved indefinitely and Lindsey, Mick, and John should have formed an offshoot, allowing them to record music and tour that would be credible and more viable than the alternatives, while keeping the door open for a full Fleetwood Mac reunion.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-20-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Billy left Fleetwood Mac sometime in late-March/early-April, 1993 to resume his country career. The last show of the first leg of the OOTC tour was April 10, 1993.

Lindsey knew by then that his creative vision that he saw come to fruition wasn’t connecting and wasn’t viable. Similarly, the label should have known a new version of Fleetwood Mac fronted by people who weren’t on Rumours wasn’t going to be viable.

At that point Fleetwood Mac should have been shelved indefinitely and Lindsey, Mick, and John should have formed an offshoot, allowing them to record music and tour that would be credible and more viable than the alternatives, while keeping the door open for a full Fleetwood Mac reunion.

Didn't the 4 of them start working together late 1996 and then they called Stephanie?